Pride and Prejudice

I've started reading this book for school, and since I know that Jane Austen still has a very large fan following, I was wondering if anyone else has read this book. What'd you think about it? Why'd you like, or dislike it?
Yes, I've read this book a few times actually. I love the storyline, and I love that it's "real" writing. The writing of Austin's day had so much more quality, meat, and meaning than writers who try to live up to her standards today. Sadly, it's difficult to weed through the quality from the crap nowadays.
Not meaning to insult... but I really don't find her writing anymore "real" than similar books published more recently. I'm typically a reader of action and fantasy, so it's very hard for me to be able to pay attention to this kind of story. This novel is completely driven by the relationships between character, and so I find the story-line very simple. However, I've liked it so far, which is saying a lot coming from someone who typically hates school-assigned reading. But please don't trash modern literature, I'm rather attached to modern books.
I've read all of Jane Austen's books, some of them two or three times. I love her work because she has a wonderful sense of humor and writes about her characters in a way that really lets you get to know and understand them. If you're not used to reading this kind of book and are having difficulty with it, I suggest that you watch the Britich mini-series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. It's the best dramatization of Pride and Prejudice that's ever been made, much better than any movie, because it's long enough so that it doesn't have to cut down too much on the story or ignore important characters.
So far I've been able to understand it pretty well, but I'll keep the the mini-series in mind. I had a friend who told me about it when I mentioned that I'd seen the the Keira Knightly movie. She said the mini-series was better. I'm hesitant to watch a 5 hour movie... but I'll be sure to rent that one if I decided to watch one of the movies once I'm done with the book.
@makingpots (11922)
I read it recently for a bookclub that I belong to. I found it a little difficult to read, but in fairness I had a lot happening in my life while I was trying to read it. I should give it another chance. I did finish it but it seems like I was just reading to get to the final page. I can't even give you the book club concensus because I had to miss the meeting when we talked about it.
yes....i have read it.... its good reading...you'll find out for yourself. hope you enjoy reading it!!
Well... I hope so too. I often don't enjoy books that I have to read for school... but so far I've liked this one.
i have read that book about twice already. it was a favorite of my father's so we had a copy at the family library. it was very good reading material. i understand that it had been a best seller then and now, it is a classic. still selling hot despite its age in publication. although i could not remember anymore how the story went, i am sure that if someone opens up talking about it, i will surely get a pouring in of my recall on it. i am like this, allyoftherain, i cannot remember what i have read and heard, but if someone pushes me hard enough to recall them, the details will come pouring in just like the coming in of a strong rain.
Sometimes I'm like that too. I didn't know my Dad had a copy of the book until I'd already gotten one at a used book store. It kinda surprised me because I kept thinking of it as a girly-book. I guess my Dad's not alone though!