What will Obama ask of us?

what will Obama do? - What will Obama ask us to do?
Obama has a unique opportunity to change the world forever. In 4 specific areas, President Obama can affect the culture of the world forever. In the economy, He has proposed the biggest infusion of capital ever. Yes he can and will create jobs but what about changing the psychology that caused people to end up with less than they could have in the first place. What will change the mindset of consumers from waste to sacrifice and savings? Obama's leadership must do more than make money available but must also lead better to make better choices with what they have. Will he start a draft? A draft could help the economy by getting some of deadbeats off the streets and into constructive activities. But will a military draft send a wrong message and dampen out the goodwill the American people are giving Obama? However, a chance should be considered if this country is going to continue being a policeman and goodwill ambassador to the world. The peace corps should be expanded and used as the major force of change by taking American values and American expertise all around the world.The peace corps can help grow crops, build buildings and secure sewage and waterways. The infastruture upgrade is very important. Highways, Building and computer systems and grids all need a makeover. The most important thing Obama must do is tell us what to do, how to sacrifice and what we must do individually to help make America better and our lives better. Does he want us to buy only American cars? Does he want us to work two jobs? Does he want us to help raise children that are not ours? There are many things that he could ask each one of us individually. What he ask and how he ask it will determine what kind of president he may become.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Lol, yes, it'll be interesting to see what he asks of us. I don't think there'll be a military draft. That wouldn't fly with most of his voters. Many people actually voted for him because they think he'll end the war(s) and try and resolve problems more peacefully and on the diplomatic way. That he wants to increase efforts in Afghanistan felt a bit to the wayside there. He might, however, start a sort of volunteer draft for social service efforts. He might ask of people to volunteer their time more and to join the Peace Corps and other organizations like it. If volunteering doesn't work... well, there was talk at one point about putting a mandatory social year into place which probably would be somewhere right after high school. What sacrifice will he ask of us? Not sure yet other than that in a couple of speeches he had talked about encouraging to mandating volunteerism. He'll probably encourage us to help each other and those in need in these times. As to changing people's mental attitude and curbing the overspending habit so many Americans have developed... that will most likely not happen. He'll in fact give more money to those who don't help themselves, the ones you call deadbeats, lol. Anyhow, overall, whatever he does, he won't be able to improve the economy as of now. It's too run down. The problem has been looming ever since the end of the Clinton era. It won't go away over night, not even within a year. I sure hope he put his spending package to good use and in fact does improve the infrastructure in a sensible and reasonable way. I hope that this really does create jobs and provide people with skills and the option to look for a job in another field they might not have considered before. However, it's a bridge. How long will this work? A couple of years. Then the infrastructure is fine... what then... oh, I forgot, then he is re-elected, almost done with his eight year... and it will be the problem of the next president;)
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
I think he will expect us to commit to civilian defense training being demanded of 18-25 year olds and for us to be alright with a general shift towards socialism regarding government programs to aid poverty or class issues. I think he also expects a lot of people to eat everything from the palm of his hand as well. I hope he does a good job though.
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
Any new American president can do all of these things. Think of what this world might be like if Saddam was allowed to continue his walk into posterity as a great leader of terrorism. Think of what the world would be like if Americans decided to abort their world leadership in democracy and allow every country to ride out its own politics. Think of how Americans would be feeling about the war in Iraq if those people just surrendered all they had without a fight. Possibilities are only possibilities. How the management and lady luck work together might decide more situations for any country than any leader. The future is unknown and we'd better take it day by day or we'll be sunk in possibilities.
@DCMerkle (1281)
Sourceseeker, I've read Obama's book, "The Audacity of Hope" and I'm reading it for the 2nd time. There's a chapter where he speaks on Values in America and your question of..."but what about changing the psychology that caused people to end up with less than they could have in the first place." There's a few paragraphs from that book that I would like to quote. In that chapter he talks about the rights and freedoms that we as Americans have and that..."individual men and women are free to pursue their own inerests, society as a whole will prosper." Now, that is true and that is our right as Americans, but we became overly, self-indulgent with it. Did we demand more or was it because it was there to demand that we wanted more? He then goes on to say that the individualism of Americans come from the heart. That we value our citizenship, our sense of community, family and our patriontism. We also value our privacy. He says that even though that these are our rights, it has caused a tension with other indivuiduals. He says that, "But we cannot avoid these tensions entirely. At times our values collide because in the hands of men each one is subject to distortion and excess. Self-reliance and independance can transform into selfishness and liscence, ambition into greed and a frantic desire to succeed at any cost. More than once in our history we've seen patriotism slide into jingoism, xenophobia, the stiffling of dissent; We've seen faith calcify into self-rightousness, closed mindedness, and cruelty toward others." Now, the one thing that I've seen happen one too many times in my life time and it can be seen in the history of our past as a Country, is that there are many politicians that so sepertate themselves from being a citizen themselves and being a politician that it almost seems as if they have created their own world. Maybe the world was created for the politcian by other politicians, but they forgot about who they were to begin with. This is what Obama sees and has wrttien about; the excess and need to succeed no matter what the cost. We have been a Country of, both individual citizens and politicians, that now realizes that pointing the finger at who did what to who and the politicians realize that they can be and will be made accountable,nowknow that what's left to survive is the "change" that Obama is talking about. You've asked a lot of questions in this post, but this one is the one that popped out at me more. DCMerkle
Well he should not be asking much of us (except our opinion) and alot of himself and the rest of our elected officials. They work for us...not the other way around. He needs to tell the government to tighten its belt and balance the budget. He should be telling congress to stop the earmarks and wasteful spending. He needs to tell lobbyist and special interest groups to take a hike. Cut the fat out of the budgets. We do not need him to tell us how to live our day to day lives. Nor should he. Those are our decisions. We are still a free country.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
The only thing he had better ask of me is my permisson to do things. He needs to remember who he works for. HE works for US. WE ask HIM to do things. This country doesn't need government asking us to do things to save it, government CANNOT create jobs, all it can do is create an environment which allows jobs to flourish. We do not need to have a government telling us to how to do anything. This is not a monarchy or dictatorship. Cripe, c'mon, you guys can't seriously be thinking like this? PLEASE tell me this isn't a serious post. Back away from the hypno-drink people, Can you seriously not figure out how to live your life, save momey, be responsable, with out a president telling you how? For real?????
@anniepa (27236)
It really will be interesting to see what he asks of us but to me it's wonderful to know that he'll ask SOMETHING of us other than telling us to "Go shopping" as Bush did after 9/11. I don't think there's ever been a time in our history when we've been at war and the people of this country have not been asked to make a single sacrifice. Of course, our troops have certainly been asked to sacrifice and too many have made the ultimate sacrifice but that's not what I meant. There has never been anything from Bush, not to buy American, not to try to conserve energy, nothing! The truth is Americans LIKE to be asked to play a part in moving our country forward. We LIKE being part of something bigger than ourselves, at least that's been my experience. I think most of us are more than willing to help and to sacrifice but, as you said, we need to be told what to do. Annie