It's Downhill From Here...............

Regina, Saskatchewan
Quite a few years ago (in the 70's) I picked up my newly 'rebuilt' car from Maaco, after having been driven off the road by a drunk driver. I had survived, but the car was nearly totaled, and the boat went over the edge into a ravine. I wasn't that crazy about that particular boat, but how I loved that car. It was a baby blue with a blue and white leather interior, 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Sprint. It may not have been red, but it was cherry! lol Anyway, I finally got my baby back and was happily taking a short cut home along a valley road that snaked it's way around the edge of one of the city's major golf courses. It was downhill for quite a way before it began to climb again. The road was full of S curves and you could see little golf carts and peoples waaay down below. It began to worry me though when I realized that pressure to the brakes wasn't producing a result. As the car gathered speed on the downhill, and my foot was being pressed to the metal, it became obvious that I had no brakes, and the S curves were getting curvier! I knew I was going to die. There was a sheer drop on one side and a steep cliff on the other. I had no room to maneuver and no way to stop myself from hurtling over the guard rails around the next curve. I threw the car into neutral, cutting the gas to the engine and scrambled to get into the back seat onto the floor and hope for the best. I was acting on instinct and had no time really to 'watch my life flash before my eyes', just get away from the point of impact as fast and as far as I could. I knew this road, and knew what was around the next bend and timed my climb into the back seat as best I could. All I had time to think about really was "Dear God, don't let me land on a golfer!" I had just managed to get into the back and curled up on the floor when the car hit the guard rail and I heard the loudest crack, when the car came to a shuddering stop....along with my heart! I have Angels. I must have. The car had hit in just the right place, broken one of the wooden post things that connect the guard rails, which in turn went under the car and jammed the rear axle, stopping the car in it's tracks. They don't make axles like they used to then, and it saved my life. The car was hanging over the valley of the golf course, front wheels still spinning..... So tell me. Have you ever had an "Oh God, here I come!" moment?
@Barb42 (4217)
I went to pick up my grandchildren (my daughter's 4) one morning from her work when she still worked in town about 40 minutes from me. It was a very rainy morning. We were on our way back to my house, driving down the Interstate minding our business. All of a sudden I looked into my rear view mirror and saw a car barreling down the side of the road by us. I watched in horror as the person sped along and would go between me and the car behind us, never hitting either of us or a car in the other lane although both lanes were completely covered with cars on this terribly, rainy morning. Then, he would weave between me and the car in front, and right back into the ditch on my side, and still running at a break-neck speed. I wondered, Lord, when is he going to hit one of us? The kids were getting scared, and I told him just to start hollering JESUS, which we all did. We watched as he went back and forth about 4 times in front of us, and all of a sudden, he hit a car in the other lane, and headed back in the other direction. I looked back as I reached the curved down the hill we were traveling and saw his car and the other one had come to a complete stop. I have no idea if anyone was hurt or why the guy never turned off his key to stop his car. But I do thank God that none of us were harmed! It was indeed a very scary trip, one I never want to repeat again!
@Barb42 (4217)
We thought perhaps he had a heart attack and God was driving that car to keep it from hitting us. I never really saw what was going on with the driver since I was trying to stay way from him as much as I could. He was bouncing back and forth in the ditch and the hill there (you'd just have to see the area coming down that long hill on the Interstate) and then back and forth through our cars. Right before he hit someone in the other lane and headed back south, I was trying my best to get to the curve and get out of there because I figured he'd wreck at the bottom of the hill. But he hit the median before I got to the bottom of the hill.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
That's true, it could very well have been a sudden illness.............I'm just so used to seeing this kind of thing on the roads back in Alberta.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Dont reacon I said that but like you was traveling on a winding road Gravel at that. A truck came around teh curve and almost side swiped me and I lost some control of the car. was fishtailing and all that had a choise of going over the cliff or hit the mountain side. well I took hitting the mountain. Had an old 54 FOrd. I was ok mad as heck at the other driver for they never even stopped. I had to pull the fender away from the whells so I could get out of there. Took the jack handle to pry it away took about 20 mins. but I did get it done! And wow what a hiar raising experience you had . So glad you are still with us! hugs and blessings
• Regina, Saskatchewan
It was probably the heavy chassis on your vehicle that saved you Lakots. They sure don't make them like they used to! So blessing to both of us eh?
@Lakota12 (42684)
up some good steel in that car.! yup we were both very lucky!
Hi sparky, Thank the lord you were safe, yes you have a Angel with you to safe you, no doubt about that and it was not your time to leave us. I am so glad, yoy are a very brave and sensiable great lady to think of what you did to climb over to the back, I don't think anyone would have thought of that as panic would have set in and they would just clse their eyes and pray. I have never had that moment telling God that I would be with him in a minute. Thank God. Love and hugs. Tamara xxxxx
• Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm just glad He listened to me and I did end up on the top of any golfers! LOL
@ElicBxn (60884)
when I realized I was going to hit that car on the freeway
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Short, to the point, and yet tells the whole story! I'm glad you survived........
@ElicBxn (60884)
Walked away, with a big lump on my head, and a headache that would not quit!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Good that you walked away..........I literally crawled out the back window away from mine! lol And I no longer golf on courses among major transport arteries! LOL
@KrauseHome (35034)
Wow!! If this would not make someone believe in God and angels, then nothing would. I am sure God was saving you for a better time in your life to come, and was watching over you for sure. You definately have something to be Thankful for, and I am sure you will always remember this moment as well. Thanks for sharing your story, and wishing you the Best from here.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks sweets. Yes, it would take a very cold heart indeed to NOT believe after an experience like this. All the best to you too............
@leenie50 (3992)
Wow Spark, That was an amazing story and I can honestly say no, I have never come close to meeting my maker like that. Although during one of my major surgeries, my heart almost stopped. I guess they thought they were going to lose me. I just slept through it. Glad you made it sparky. leenie
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Hi leenie, nice to meet you! Surgery stories are whole new discussion! LOL I'm still waiting for someone to take the OMG here I come, moment in a whole new direction .... like the bedroom? ROFL
@LouRhi (1502)
Nope, no OMG moments for this little black duck. That is not to say I haven't been in 2 terrible car accidents, but they happened in such a blur that I never even had a chance to say OMG!!! Thankfully I too am blessed by protection from Angels. Both times the cars were totaled and some how I managed to walk away with only a few little scratches. Glad to hear that you were unharmed in this little incident. I hope that your baby was repairable. It was lucky that you were in such an old tank, imagine if the same thing had of happened in one of those new fang dangled plastic things they try to pass of as a car! ~ fairy wishes & butterfly kisses ~
@savypat (20246)
That was a great story. You had me holding my breath. I think things like that happen to everyone, I know they have happened to me and when they do I just thnak my angels. But my stories are never as good as yours was. Thanks
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Hi savypat........having angels is such a good thing eh? And your stories are great, just told differently that's all.............I LIKE EM! lol