Should be there religious symbols in government's offices?

@ronaldinu (12440)
Malta
In my country which is predominantly catholic, the crucifix is fixed in all government buildings such as schools and other offices. I find it reasonable that a country displays its religious symbols of whatever the predominant religion will be. Should be there religious symbols in governments offices?
@Opal26 (17690)
Hi ronaldinu~No I don't believe that there should be any religious symbols in the government offices. I don't think that religion should have anything to do with government at all. They should be kept totally separate so that there isn't any extra problems. There is supposed to be a "separation between church and state" according to the documents that we have here in the USA and there are reasons to keep it them separate!
@messageme (2821)
I don't think there would be a problem with it, but in most states they can't even say the pledge of allegience in schools anymore because it has god's name in it. They even took in god we trust off of the money. So it wouldn't surprise me if the government offices are not allowed to hang anything religious in there buildings. What has this country come too!!
@deebomb (15322)
I don't know where your from but all my money still has "In God WE Trust" I just looked in case I missed something.
@messageme (2821)
I know they were talking about doing it maybe they never went through with it.. I don't have any newer cash on me to check for sure but it gets me wondering and I will look as soon as I get a newer bill.
@kellyjeanne (1576)
I truly believe so, because it helps us to remember that God should be included in every walk of life that we are involved in. I believe it helps keep us real. Shutting God out is where we run into problems. He doesn't shut us out. Why should we shut Him out? Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Living in a catholic country, makes it easier to accept this as a way of life. I can undersand that other certain liberal countries might find it strange or offensive. But to be honest I dont find anything wrong in having symbols that remind us of God.
You're right about that because in this country people are getting away from God and as a result this country as a whole is paying the price. This is very sad and makes me very sad as well. Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
Here in the States the main right we have as Americans is freedom of Religion.Or even freedom from religion. In other words we don't have an official religion.So if someone wanted to put a cross on an government building here, there would be a lawsuit to get it removed.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Religious symbols seem to appear in everything even the inaugural swearing in by using Lincoln's bible and the use of the word God throughout the speech and swearing in. I think it should be if that is there choice. But to some it shows strength and unity so that is possibly why it is used.I would use it.
@KrauseHome (36258)
Personally, I feel it should be up to each individual in office. There are some who have felt it not a good thing, and others who Love to proclaim their religious feelings and beliefs. I honestly have always thought since we are supposed to be allowed a Freedom of Religion this should be up to the individial in an office position to decide this one for their office as well. No one should ever mandate what should be acceptable as in this as well. Just my thoughts.
@flowerchilde (12538)
All nations are losing their culture.. for the new one.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
and what is the new one?
Secular atheism which is taught as (and believed to be) proven and supported by natural laws of science.
@GADHISUNU (2164)
I don't see why, if your country is predominantly catholic the crucifix being in Government Offices should be wrong. In fact it is not wrong to declare Catholic Christianity as the official religion also.Only humanitarian considerations should necessitate giving some constitutional guarantees to the minorities to practice and preach their faith among their believers.Yes religion must not enter into administering justice and granting unbiased equality of opportunity to all. That is where rationalism must step in.
@kun2349 (23473)
haha.. Actually there should not be any dominance of any religion in the 1st place.. Everybody should have the freedom to choose their religion, and if one is being forced to believe in it, and what's the true reason for religion?? lol =D But since, your country is a catholic country, i guess it should be common to see all those religious symbol everywhere, and that should not exclude government offices.. BEcause there will not be any country with a government.. lol =D
@veejay19 (3591)
Any government that governs a country is in a democratic set-up supposed to be seculor.That means that it represents all the people living in that country irrespective of caste, creed or religion. If there is a predominant religion in a country such as yours, still i feel that religious symbols should be avoided in govt offices because there is the very real danger of fundamentalism and fanaticism arising as we can see happening in many countries around the world.This leads to suppression of people following other religions who are in a minority leading to their persecution.Religion is a private affair and should be practised in the privacy of one home even if it is the predominant religion of the state. Only then can people live without fear and this will cause the country to prosper as everyone irrespective of their religion will give their best for their country.
@sweetyethot (1738)
Here in China,religious symbols are not allowed to be fixed in government buildings esp.schools.Our government believe in Marxism, I guess.
Maybe it's because I'm so emphatically American, or because my husband and I didn't marry many years before we did because we're not the same religion, but I don't think government should be involved in religion or religion in politics. Of course, Vatican City is an exception!
@Galena (9123)
well that depends, doesn't it. perhaps these places should start out with no symbols, and the people working there can add their own if they so wish. whatever their religion is. with all symbols having the same right to be there.
@carinio98 (2935)
[b]i will say no...... government and religion must be separated...... like god say at tax collector.... give to ceasar whats for ceasar and to god is what for god... he said that cuz... laws of god is a law of god... and law of the governmen is law for the government... people didnt know that......[/b]
no. we keep religion separate from government. Church and state are two completely different things. They do not mix and they should not mix in my opinion.
In my country it's not necessary that religious sign should be in each and every office but we have various photos of great people who did a great things for our countries. It is nothing but the symbol of pride, Glory and Inspiration of those people who fought fo r our country and gave our life for freedom. This give a insperation to young generation who are learning in the schools and eartning knowladge. In my country religious sign is a symbol of respect or god and we will never tolarate that our god is just hanging on the wall and lot of dust is accumilated on that photo. So i don't think that it is importent we should keep the religios signs in our working places and offices. According to you what it represents. My country doese't belong to a perticular religion and due to that we respect all the religions which belong to our country so it's not importent that we should always represent our religion in the offices and working places because there are many people who are working with us but not of our religion. It seems you are showing strength of your religin and not the respect towards others. What do you think on this ?
@MsTickle (25064)
I think they should not be in public places...however, if there is going to be one religious symbol then there should be all of them. It's only fair that all denominations be represented if one is. So, in that case, it would be best not to have any. Contain them in places of worship.
@Lindery (854)
• Latvia
There aren't many countries with one main religion and that would be a problem. Who would evaluate which religions symbols should apply for each government's office? I live in country where we have 2-3 dominating religions. I think that religion and government should live their own lives. They both have own rules and strategies. They shouldn't been mixed up together.
@ulalume (714)
I suppose it depends on your country. In the United States this should not be occuring (though...it does) because we have the separation of church and state (government). This is a highly debated topic here, and rightfully so. These symbols should not be plaguing the offices of public officials (who are supposed to represent all of the people). I suppose if you live at the Vatican it would be okay (hah), but in most other places I would have to say no.
Personally I think it's completely wrong to have any symbols of religion as part of or attached to any government building. Government is supposed to be for all people regardless of religion and to display a preference for one religion, whether it is the predominant religion or not, is prejudicial, implies favoritism and promotes separatism. If someone has personal office space within an office building they can put whatever symbols they wish in that personal space but it should not be part of the government building itself.