Okay I Might Sound Very Picky And Smug Here....But....

@pyewacket (44036)
........Could you PLEASE write in English? I just came across a reply to one of my discussions that was obviously done by a person who didn't have the slightest clue of proper English and not only that did weird abbreviations. Now PLEASE I don't want to get attacked or bashed here as I realize that for many of you, English is not your first language, but in most cases I've been impressed by how many people here worldwide seem very good, great and fantastic in how they express themselves here in English..so a big hearty KUDOS...I will frankly admit I probably couldn't write in YOUR language. At first I thought the person responding to one of my discussions responded the way he/she did only to my discussion but then when I looked at the person's profile and looked how he/she responded to other discussions I found the same thing...words like this being spelled dis...n for not..der for there..den for then...like huh? So not to be picky ... BUT PLEASE if you plan to write here at least write some resemblance to English here...no we don't have to be Pulitzer Prize winning authors to write here....and even though English IS my native language, I'm probably guilty of grammar errors, spelling errors and so forth... --hey I once wrote the word goat when I meant gout..(crap will never live that one down)] The thing is so many computer systems have the ability to make proper translations from one language into another...I have it on mine computer...then of course is good ole spellcheck... So has anyone else come across replies to discussions that you can't make heads or tails about since the person didn't have a good command of the language?
@zandi458 (27952)
Those people who have the same background as me where English is their second language might find it difficult to express themselves in clear and concise manner, to be easily understood by the native speakers. I admit when I joined mylot I feel so inferior as far as my English is concerned. Whenever I encounter a discussion that has beautiful and polished English words I withdraw and lost all words and ideas. Blankness envelope my mine and I can't even string two words together even though I understood the topic very well. It took me sometime before I pick the courage to response. It took me a while before I spring up and gained my confidence and this open up the flow of ideas. In fact I find it is not at all a problem for me to write a good piece of discussion that can be understood by all. Maybe some people are in a haste to respond and could not care less of the grammatical errors.
@BarBaraPrz (19844)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I think you're doing very well in the "beautiful and polished English words" department.
@zandi458 (27952)
Thanks Bar for the credit. Pye's writings have motivated me to write proper English though I might not be able to stand tall and proud in level with her flawless English words but I managed to draw some responses to my discussions which explains well I have achieved mileage in my writings.
@reinydawn (11649)
zandi - you're doing a great job! I don't think you are one of the ones pye is talking about. There are plenty of people who don't even try, and that's very hard to read most of the time. Keep up the good work!
just want to point out that you wrote i have it on mine computer. ok just teasing you. i make mistakes all the time. now i just wanted to point out that i speak both french and english. french is my first language but i'm now better in english. anyway i use the translator on the computer at work and it does not do a good job. sometimes it won't translate certain words or the sentence won't even make any sense. it doesn't even mean what i wanted it to say. so it's also not the best option to use. but i agree that sometimes people's spelling is so bad that you can't even make out what they are saying which makes it hard for us to make proper responses to them
I agree, mistakes are made all the time, but sometimes the entire post is a mistake. I am not surprised that the translator doesn't always work properly. It would probably be more of a literal translation, right. I mean potatoe in english is apple of the earth in french, right? I imagine, then, that vernacular phrases and certain terms that make sence in one language would not translate well into another language. I don't know about pye, but I personally find it difficult when what a person has written makes no sense in any language. You can usually tell a language barrier versus a lack of education.
@reinydawn (11649)
poppoppop111 - I was going to mention the mine thing too :) Thanks for spotting that :)
@pyewacket (44036)
Bonjour. Comment ├ža va? Well at least my "mine" error wasn't as bad as when I wrote goat when I meant gout. You're right Dragongold , the french pomme could mean either potatoes or apples. And I can see how confusing English can be with such words as there, their, they're, but I would think if a person whose native language isn't English they are being taught the language somehow properly...I mean den for then??
I hear you Pye. I know exactly what you're talking about. Did you ever go over to the "No Response" section and try to figure out what they're talking about?, lol! Then you say to yourself "Ohhhh, that's why there are no responses." Words that aren't spelled correctly are one thing, I've done that myself I'm sure. But I do agree with you completely about at least trying to write in English so we understand what they're saying. I get lost in the translation and give up. And if they respond to me, I just have to let it go and pass them by unfortunately.
@BarBaraPrz (19844)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Getting no responses because no one can make out what is being said is one thing, but when something is posted in perfect English and still gets no response... something else is afoot.
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes I often go to the No Response section and yes, pass up many of them since I'm scratching my head going HUH?
@dloveli (4369)
I understand what youre talking about I think. If I am correct I think its not about people who cant speak or write english. Its about the people using all those smileys and symbols that is annoying. Sometimes we dont see the smiley all we see is the codes or gibberish that represents the smiley or symbol. I myself dont care what language you use as long as I can understand it enough to get the point. Usually if I dont understand it I dont respond. In this case I believe its the answer. You are very brave to bring it to the forefront Pye. I'll give you that. Instead of trying to make this a bashing, they should look thru their discussions and their friends too. Then they'll understand what you're talking about. dl
@pyewacket (44036)
As some others here have pointed out, I also can't stand when people use "text" language either, which is something I'm not fluent with since I don't use it myself, save for some very basics like btw, or LOL
@jwfarrimond (4474)
I'm with you on this one I tend to just ignore posts like that as not being worth the trouble of trying to figure out what the person is trying to say. Of course, as you say, many of the people on here do not have English as a first language and I make allowances for the numerous posts that are written by non - English speakers and which may not be entirely correct. But it sounds as though that particular person was writing as they spoke - den for then? That's street language. What irritates me though, it the use of texting abbreviations in posts. Again, I usually ignore such posts rather than make the effort to try and translate it into proper English.
@pyewacket (44036)
I can't stand text language either...I guess I'm showing my age but I'm just not with text type abbreviations maybe since I don't have a cell phone where texting is used
I have found that there are people who have not the skills to express themselves effectivi=ely with the written English word. MANY of them are NOT bilingual, indeed they are not capable in their mother tongue, much less a second one. This does not mean that they are stupid, but merely uneducated. Still, it is difficult for those who are educated to read and understand what they mean to communicate. I don't know how to help them improve, but I wish I could.
I agree with you 100%. They really need to know their mother tongue before we can understand what the heck they are talking about. I honestly think alot of the gibberish is some of them trying to get their payout. for example I had posted a question about my cat. ONe response was cat or dog? that was all they responded. i am going for great discussions and a payout as a benefit they are just wasting our time and getting paid.
That's cheating! and so lame. Where is the fun for anyone in that?
@pyewacket (44036)
Oh I've gotten those winner responses too...the one or two word ones and it does seem the person is just trying to rack up the points/earnings. I often check the persons profile and check their responses to other discussions and it'll will be something like "that's cool" "nice" "great", or whatever.
@ElicBxn (60884)
Yes!!! I don't accept people that write like that as friends. I tend to write things like "Huh?" back if they respond to a discussion. Honestly, this sounds more like a lazy teen than someone who's first or second language isn't English.
@pyewacket (44036)
I'm famous for leaving the Huh? or Duh? in reply too...LOL..no the person was from another country..I checked his profile
@ElicBxn (60884)
then I'd guess it falls more into line with the "what is the Language coming too?" discussion I started.... http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1879301.aspx
@mysdianait (64058)
I too have seen what you talk about and I have tried putting myself in the seat of those who write like the user you suggested. Could it be that they have not been taught properly and are really trying to learn (it can be very trying having a go at deciphering it to). Those that write in text are even worse. I presume they do know how to write properly but it's probably become such a habit writing in text that they don't even realise they are doing it. Then there's the other side and I am part of this. I thought that my mother tongue was English until I started conversing here on myLot. I've been away from UK for over 30 years and so many words have taken on new meanings or are competely new words since I was there! I remember some time back when I had to ask my sister, who now lives in USA, the meaning of 'kudos' (I now know so no problem when I read it here!. I see it a lot on here and had't a clue to its meaning. Of course living outside UK while all the computer lingo was being invented and becoming everyday use has not helped either. I know all the terms in Italian and have no idea how they translate into English as they are all new things come on the scene in the last 30 years. Makes you wonder why they couldn't all be the same term all over the world. To sum up yes I see them. I try to understand and hope they either try harder next time or go back to school and return. I wouldn't ever say anything to the user concerned - not everyone might want helping sadly.
@pyewacket (44036)
The hardest type of writing I come across is the text type language since I don't use it myself..and yes it took me awhile to understand computer abbreviations also. A real humdinger is I belong to a games site where one can chat between members and they use code numbers for words, which completely loses altogether
@snowcat46 (2323)
Sometimes. Usually it's fairly easy to guess if it's someone using texting language (I do not answer those. I loathe that form of writing. To me, it's lazy.) But the den and dem things, I can see that being from a different part of the country. I know when I moved to southern Iowa, they had a harder time understanding me. Northern Iowa talks way faster. Words are the same, but there are variations. So I try to answer them, if I can understand it. Sometimes the way I phrase things can be mighty hard to understand for people!! So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I refuse to answer the PeOplE WHo type like that. I won't even read it. I can't stand when I make typos like that! Doing it on purpose, what's the point? That is hard to delibrately type like that!
@pyewacket (44036)
Thank goodness I haven't come across people wHo TyPe lIkE that...yikes I can't even do that well....but yes coming across text messaging is annoying too, since to be honest I'm not that familiar with it. I'm sometimes guilty of typos, or if not typos typing the wrong word when I meant something else...I do have spellcheck, thing is, if the "wrong" word I typed is spelled right the spellcheck isn't going to help me there
@jalucia (1435)
I have definitely come across responses that I couldn't make any sense of, no matter how hard I tried. I do think that there is a difference between someone struggling with the language and someone just typing however they darn well please. Most of the responses that I can't understand seem to be from those who are struggling with the language. I can tell that they are trying to say something ... I just don't know what it is. In this case I guess we have two choices - ask them to further explain or bypass the comment. I usually bypass the comment because when I try to gain more understanding from the person I just get more confused. I wouldn't get too aggravated about it though. There's definitely an abundance of comprehensive conversation within this site.
@bestboy19 (5482)
I can forgive the people whose first language isn't English, but the ones who text really irritate me. Another type I find irritating are the ones who are so long winded. What are they writing, their memoirs'?
@pyewacket (44036)
LOL--mmmm...some of my discussions are rather long winded. Must be the writer in me. Sometimes I don't realize how much I've written until the actual discussion is posted, then it's like, gee, did I write all that?
@sid556 (31005)
Ya, know from what I read here, it almost sounds as if it is a person whose native language actually IS english. Using "dis" instead of "this" is common among young people. People whose native language is not english may make some mistakes but they are as a rule seriously trying to learn and strive to do well. I can usually understand them and also watch them improve if they are members long enough. I could be wrong but I do know that many young people these days deliberatly spell wrong and many graduate from highschool not being able to spell correctly. they just slide right by. Now that irritates me far more than someone from another country. I tend to have a great deal of sympathy for those that are trying to learn the language. It comes easy to me but that is because I've been using it all my life. It is the hardest language to learn and I can believe that. If I had to respond in Chinese or Spanish even....I'd be completely lost.
@pyewacket (44036)
No he wasn't from America since I checked his profile...hmmm that's interesting though...I went back to my discussion to look at the post he made to my discussion and it was deleted...maybe others reported him?? And yes, it's a shame that even native English speakers/writers from the USA can read or write well, but then I guess you can blame it on the way kids are taught now...I mean how can teachers give quality attention to each student when the classrooms have about 50 students in each of them?
@urbandekay (18312)
"...good ole spellcheck" and you're advocating the use of correct English? all the best urban
@pyewacket (44036)
LOL--Actually ole is a form of old..according to the dictionary ole |ol| adjective informal or humorous old : that ole truck of my daddy's. ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: representing a folk pronunciation.
@eaforeman6 (8983)
I am trying to watch my typonese lol because sometimes, I cant tell what I am typing lol ugh....people like me need spell check . I just prefer not to get the responses that are only one or two words.... I always have to watch my typing because my vision is the pits and then there is this chihuahua who thinks he is helping me when he gets on this keyboard lol
I have a cat that does that - puts his head on the keyboard when I'm trying to type! I think that he's trying to tell me "stop doing that and pay attention to me!"
@reinydawn (11649)
Ya know, I was going to mention your little goof in there, but someone beat me to it :) Actually, I do type quite a bit like I talk and I put a bit of slang in my typing. I'll type out "How ya doin' " a lot. I acually use "ya" all the time in place of "you". I do this mostly to get my tone across, this is how I talk. But, I totally understand how hard it is to try to read the discussions/responses that are writting the way you've commented on. I've had them in my discussion and I usually just skip them because it's too hard for me to read them. I don't think it's entirely people learning a second language either... I think it's a lot of people just thinkin' they're cool...
I have met many people from foreign countries online that are actually trying very hard to speak our language and communicate with us. Others just don't seem to care and are not trying at all.
Hi pye, I know my spelling aren't that good or I mispelt words but this kind of spelling I find I cannot understand whathe they are trying to say so I just skip them, I'm soory but if I can't understand them how am I goint to respond to them?, I am not being rude, just can't understand them that is all. Bright Blessings. Tamara
@jesssp (2742)
Dis, dat and der are completely inexcusable and just plain lazy IMO. I can't see using them in lieu of the real words having anything to do with English not being your first language either. I agree with you on all points (except I have no problem admitting that I'm picky and smug:). We all make mistakes, we are human after all, but there is a difference between honest errors, not speaking English exclusively and completely butchering the English language. Personally, I plain it (partly) on texting and instant messaging.
@tigerdragon (4297)
hello pye. i would assume that person is a full time cellphone texter. Yes, i would request for some people to please, refrain from using sms language here. this thing has so much space for a lot of letters! i agree, it is very annoying and it is so hard to understand what they are trying to say.
@blackbriar (9080)
Finally! A discussion of yours that hasn't been deleted yet. The trolls must of missed this one. Anyways, I've seen responses like this in other discussions but not in mine...yet. Took me 4ever to decipher it at first.