I have been invited to join a darts team but ... .... ...

@gemini_rose (16194)
I cannot play darts ha ha!! For the past couple of Thursdays, hubby and I have been following his Mum around and watching her and her team play darts. It is a way for us to go out together, him to see his mum and me to have a drink and let my hair down a bit!!! And boy his mum sure knows how to let her hair down, but that is a different story ha ha. Anyway she wants me to sign up for the next season to play darts but I cannot play I can throw a dart, hit the board but I cannot put it where I want and I think I am pretty useless. She says it does not matter, but it does doesn't it? It is a way for me to get out and socialise and have a bit of fun and a life but I am not sure I should join a team unless I can make a difference to it!! Would you join a team of any kind even if you knew that you were not particularly good at whatever sport it was? Are you a member of any kinds of teams and if so what?
@MsTickle (25007)
I don't play any sports now but I used to be on lots of teams; tennis, netball, softball and yes, a darts team. I had a board at home and used to like just to throw darts sometimes to pass the time...I didn't know any games or anything, or what the divisions meant or why the numbers were placed the way they were. I soon learned and I soon became good....so give it a go. DO NOT join your mum-in-laws team. LOL
@gemini_rose (16194)
Lol you are not the first to say not to join, a girl who lives next door to her seems pretty adamant that I dont join! I dont know why as she does not even play!! I will think about it!!
@MsTickle (25007)
I meant not to join your M-I-L's team...join another team...lol.
@katsmeow1213 (28982)
I think you should go for it! When I was at the grocery store last week I saw a flyer for a volleyball team, and I took the e-mail address down and wrote to it. I haven't heard back yet, so it doesn't look promising, but that's beside the point. I haven't played volleyball since high school, that would be like 13 years ago! I don't think I was even all that good at it then, but it was fun. And as you know, I'm rather desperate for a way to get out and be around other people. So as long as I think it's fun and it gets me out, I'd be willing to try it (so long as it's not an extremely competitive type team). I even already spoke to hubby about it and he's willing to change his hours around a bit to give me that one night to go play volleyball. I really wish it would have worked out. Maybe I'll try sending that e-mail again!
@gemini_rose (16194)
It is the social side that I am after too, you know some of the stuff I have been through, well I literally reclused inside my house and stayed there. But also getting married lost me most of my social life too as I dropped everyone thinking that I was supposed too. I am sure it will work out for you, fingers crossed anyways!!
I did the same thing, totally lost my social life once I was married. Part of it was I was just so "in love" with my hubby that I didn't have time for anyone else, I wanted to be with him 24/7. Part of it also was because he didn't get along with some of my friends, some of them were a really bad influence on me, and some of them just started acting weird once I was married. I had a great social life before he came along, but after that it was nada. Then of course I quit working which didn't help either!
@uicbear (1903)
I played on a team in a league for a couple of years, and I miss it. For the most part, it was just an excuse to hang out with some friends, have a couple drinks and have some fun. I really wasn't good when I started, but learned as we went along. Some people were a little more serious than others. I would take your cue from your mother-in-law. She know you don't really know how to play, but she invited you to join. The more you play the better you will get. I'm sure the more experienced players will give you lots of tips. I say go for it!
@gemini_rose (16194)
To be honest it is an excuse to get out and have fun and it is fun, I am thinking it will be a good idea!
@gracie04 (4556)
If given a chance, i'd like to join the bowling team.. i'm pretty good at it but of course, i need to know the sport more.. (history, rules, etc) and yes, i need to enroll myself to a bowling school and learn the right moves!
@gemini_rose (16194)
I am not much for bowling but it is a very popular game.
@cynthiann (18630)
• Jamaica
Of course you should join and get out. So your're not good at it, so what? Get a dart board and home and practise and you will become better. You sound like you really enjoyed the evening out and we all do need to socialise. I'm a member of the Orchid Society and I barely know one orchid from another but it is a good way to meet peole and go on trips. I am also a member of the Gergian society and as I like history this is fun. We go to other places on the Island in a bus and gggle and laugh and have lunch some where. I am all for women doing something or joining a club that gives them pleasure. Join the group and enjoy! Blessings
@gemini_rose (16194)
Well I still have some time to decide and in the meantime we will be going each week to watch. It sounds like you have a lot of fun with all your things, I love history too.
@gabs8513 (48803)
I used to play Darts and no it does not Matter Sweet as you will learn to play while you are in the Team or playing, I did lol But never play when you are highly Pregnant your Balance is not the same lol as I found out Go for it and join, it will not take you long to get the grip and the Concentration xx
@gemini_rose (16194)
Well I have some time to think about it yet but I am considering it yes, I need something!
@checapricorn (16072)
[i]Hi gemini, I will love to join if I am in your situation, anyway constant practice will lead to learn that sport! LOL! I was a member of badminton team in my Country and every Friday, colleagues and I will have our own competition, it was fun! Here, I am looking forward to meet girls who loves sports which I can also relate with but I am also open to learn new stuff! ENjoy![/i]
@gemini_rose (16194)
I used to like badmington I think the last time I played was back in school though ha ha!!!
@tessah (6638)
practice makes perfect right? i think you should do it.. itll be fun. doesnt matter if you think you suck or not. everyone sucked the first time they did something.
@gemini_rose (16194)
Yes there is that, it would be fun, especially with my mum in law. Gosh tessah she is an awful bad influence lol she is funny!!!
@jillbeth (2711)
I think I would join if the other team members knew that I was lousy and didn't expect much from me right away. Then I would take time to practice so I wouldn't embarass myself too much. I never have been on any teams but it sounds like it would be a great way to get out of the house and have some fun. Go for it!
@gemini_rose (16194)
I am thinking more of the social aspect more than anything, so it is tempting just for that reason!!
@izathewzia (5142)
I will just be one of the audience if that is the case. I will not dare to join a team or any activity that I am not good in doing at. I will rather learn the skill or craft first before having the guts of joining or doing. I will surely watch to learn about it.
@winterose (39931)
if she says it doesn't matter then it doesn't matter, what are you making it matter, it is a way for you to learn, but if you don't want to learn or to play then just tell her.
@enola1692 (3325)
I use to play darts I had a blast you should go for it
@stephcjh (32385)
I'm very sorry to hear that. I am not joined with any of these teams either. I just do not have the time for it right now.
Hey, think of it like this. If you join the team, you could learn to control your aim and become better at playing darts. Having weekly practice will make you better. Plus, I remember from a few discussions back that you are trying to reach out and socialize more, so joining the darts team could be a way of you meeting more people and getting out there a little more. Like your Mom-in-law says, it doesn't matter about how well you play, but you will have fun. Well, as long as your aim isn't so bad that you're hitting people with the darts lol!
@gemini_rose (16194)
Yes I am trying to get out a bit, get a life outside of the house so it would be a perfect opportunity for me.
I don't think I would have the confidence to join a team in which I am not good or feel that I am good at that sport. Maybe you could be the team's mascot at least that way you can still go out, socialise and let your hair own. What does your hubby think about you being asked by his mum to join the darts team??