Grrrrrr!!!!

@ElicBxn (60134)
I'm mad at the trash pick up people! I don't get up really early, but I don't sleep all day either (darn it.) I do, however, have a roommate who works from 2-10 at night so she needs to sleep in during the mornings. Now the trash truck comes about 6-6:30, and seems to always have to compact in front of my house, or at least near enough to be disturbing. Bad enough. But this morning, the recyclers came around and were blowing their train horn sounding truck horn about 7:30!!! I know this disturbed her. She's not as light a sleeper as I am, but she's doesn't do the corpse immitation that the former roommate does. I don't even know WHO to call about this. Oh, I'm sure they had a good excuse, but maybe they should just come around a bit later in the day dad-gum it! I understand starting at 5-6 in the morning when the afternoon is going to be 100ยบ, but when its only going to be 50? Do you have this much trouble with your trash men?
@snowcat46 (2323)
Sorry, but we live in the country. We take our trash to a specific site on a specific day. We don't have pick up. Although, hearing from you about this, I'm thinking this isn't such a bad thing!
@ElicBxn (60134)
There's got to be a compromise between the 2. I know around here they can get a service that will pick up down on the edge of the highway if they have their trash in the dumpers out there. From what I can tell, they leave them out near the end of their drives and drop off the trash on their way out.
@snowcat46 (2323)
Good luck on finding that in-between answer. Probably your neighbors would be grateful as well. Maybe you could all get together, put your trash in a certain spot at the end of the block, so they don't even have to come through? I don't know much about cities, so don't know if this is even an alternative.
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
They have always started really early in the morning but it's always been on work days, so it doesn't bother me. I can see how it would be annoying for somebody who's schedule is such that they're still sleeping though.
@ElicBxn (60134)
it is annoying, and then blowing their horn! That was the last straw!
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, the horn is just out of line. They don't set their own hours probably and they can't help that the trucks are loud, but unless somebody's in danger of running into them, why blow the horn? Just rude.
@ElicBxn (60134)
well, for all I know they were blowing at someone, but I wasn't jumping outta my nice warm bed to find out but one or 2 toots shouldda done it, so, either the men were idiots, or the person they we honking at was
@checapricorn (16072)
[i]Hi Elic, wow..that is too early! In our area, I have no problem with that! Our trash men will collect at 11 am and that time I know everyone is awake but I have also a neighbor who works night shift and luckily, we don't get that disturbing sounds from them![/i]
@ElicBxn (60134)
its just annoying its one thing in the summer, but its not summer anymore!
Hi ElicBxn, Yeah we have one here as well, every Friday morning, they make such racket, they have no consideration for others. Tamara
@ElicBxn (60134)
it'd be nice if they would find some other street to compact on once in a while, but that horn was the last straw!
@stephcjh (32385)
I'm sorry you had trouble with your trash pickup. Our trash man always comes around 11:00 a.m. He is fairly quiet also and never sounds a horn. That would drive me crazy!
@ElicBxn (60134)
Have to say this was the first time I've heard them sound their horn
• Lubbock, Texas
My trash truck arrives around 6 or 6:30, picks up the dumpster and bangs it on the truck three times to make sure nothing sticks and never, never, never sits it down in the same place. I don't know how that can happen when it's picked up by a hydrolic lift and set down the same way. That's the irritating part, because if we don't go out and move it back up closer to the road, eventually the trash truck will be driving out into our yard to pick up the trash. During rainy weather they can make a big enough mess in the driveway. I don't want them making huge ruts in the yard too! Then it's the beeping noise they make when backing up. Fortunately I'm usually awake if I'm not up when they come around, so the noise doesn't bother me too much.
@ElicBxn (60134)
now that is really annoying! No, these sissy boys don't even pick up the trash anymore, they roll it to the truck and the truck has an arm to pick up our can (the city provides it.) And don't ya know, the sissy machine can't pick up more than a certain amount and the sissy boys don't want to smell dirty litter and OMG! they might get their hands dirty or break their nails or high heels or soil their pearls!
@Loverbear (4929)
I don't have trash men, as I live out in the country...but there is some idiot that calls the house around 8 a.m. every friggin morning! It wouldn't be so bad except that I am a night person and get to bed around 2 a.m. and so my sleep hours are up to 9 a.m. I've answered the phone to find no one on the other end. Next time I plan to answer and if there isn't anyone there I am going to blow a whistle in it and fry their computer system!
@ElicBxn (60134)
I just ignore those early morning/late night phone calls, well, try to.... I hope you fry them good!!!
@Loverbear (4929)
I wish I could ignore the early morning calls...my phone is next to the bed and Willy (he's the brother of the cat in the avatar) has taken it upon himself that if the phone rings when it is turned off he will "pat" me awake, which amounts to smacking me up aside the head to let me know someone is calling. (Willy's brother, Khuay, is my resident CIA agent. "Cat in action". Khuay shreds papers, boxes and paper bags looking for the microfilm and hidden microphones. ) Then too, my mini Dachshunds sleep in my bedroom and as soon as the phone goes off they start their morning tunes of "we need to go out right now or we'll wet everything in sight". So I don't win. As for the schedules of the garbage people, I am sure there are businesses away from populated areas that they can collect the garbage from first. Everywhere I have lived that has had trash pick up has had the garbage people collect after 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. and also they don't sound like the Marines landing when they do it. I would call and ask that they do their compacting away from your house as there is a person that works nights and it does disrupt their sleep. You don't have to tell them the hours the person works, just that the noise of the compacting does disrupt the sleep seriously. It's worth a try. If that doesn't do it, go out armed with a bottle of whiskey or something like that as a peace offering and ask the guys directly if they could compact away from your house. I remember that Dad and Mom used to buy a couple of bottles of inexpensive whiskey for the collectors and they would move heaven and earth for us, including getting the cans out of the garage if we forgot to put them out, rounding up our dog and putting her back in the garage and even taking extra stuff we came racing out with. They even fixed my Mom's car one day when it quit at the side of the road...they were incredible!
@winterose (39931)
they have schedules, they have a lot of ground to cover on their route you local city or municipality is who you call but they will not do anything about the time it passes they will tell you what I just did, about hooking you may be able to make a complaint about that.
@ElicBxn (60134)
I realize they have schedules, but a few years ago they said they were going early during the summer, and they have NEVER STOPPED!!! Guess what!! It AIN'T summer any more!!!
@BarBaraPrz (17959)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
You might call your municipal government's office, or look them up on the 'net. Most cities/towns have their own website listing the various departments and who to contact in them.
@ElicBxn (60134)
I've tried that, but to no avail
@MsTickle (25007)
That's a bit slack Elic...friends of mine had a biggish sign made saying..."shift worker sleep....quiet please...DO NOT DISTURB" which they put in the front yard when they were on night shift. He was a police officer but I've heard of nurses doing it too. I don't know if it works. Maybe you would have to go outside to speak to them at appropriate times.
@ElicBxn (60134)
I might see about that, but I doubt that will help. As for going out and talking to them, they except when they stop to compact, they barely slow down. And then you can't hear anything!
@MsTickle (25007)
We have noise pollution laws here...it still starts at 8am which can be early for some. Is there a possibility of you putting your bins further down the road ...or something like that so they are not stopping right outside?
@ElicBxn (60134)
Yeah, well, obviously these guys aren't worried about bother people....
Funnily enough, I can't the collection trucks when they are out the front of the house, and my bedroom is in the front. I do hear them on the road behind us though, and that is like 40metres from my bedroom! lol. Do they visit more than once a week? I'd be really annoyed if they did here, as it does disturb our girls. I hope your roomy gets a decent nights sleep soon.
@ElicBxn (60134)
they used to come twice a week, and made less noise! no, only once a week, and if its bother me this much in the back bedroom, I can only hope it doesn't bother both the roomies in the front Of course, I AM the lightest sleeper
The further the distance the sound has to travel, the louder it is going to be. not sure how that works, but it does.
You call the people who you pay your bill from. I think you can complain through the city or county web page may have a link to the trash pick up at least ours does.
@ElicBxn (60134)
the city handles the trash, and we pay thru the city utilities... electric/water/trash all on one bill
Than that is who I would call to complain about the honking I think that is ridiculous.
@camomom (7537)
I have in the past but not since moving here. Ours comes at around 10am.
@ElicBxn (60134)
lucky you!
@camomom (7537)
I know
@blackbriar (9126)
Our town got new garbage trucks and now you can't even hear them unless they are compacting the trash. Even then, it's nowhere near as loud as it used to be. I no longer have trash pick-up so if it wasn't for my dog barking at him every week, I would never know when he goes by. The problems we seem to have here is them leaving a trail of trash on the ground which ends up blowing in everyone's yards.
@ElicBxn (60134)
THAT is BAD! I have to say I've seen bad weeks here, but the worse used to be the recyclers, and they now have a new system, so hopefully it'll improve!
@GreenMoo (11842)
I always assumed that they started early in order to not get in the way of traffic any more than necessary.
@ElicBxn (60134)
that's not what they said when they started this a few summers ago....
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
The used to come around 1:00 give or take half an hour. It was fine. I paid someone to take down all my heavy trash just before they came. I can't lift more than 5 pounds. But now I never know when mine are going to come. It could be 3:00 a.m. or it could be 3:00 p.m. I wish they would be consistent.
@ElicBxn (60134)
Really, this is always about this time, and always seems to compact the truck by the house!
@GemmaR (8527)
It's awful that they should do that at such a silly time in the morning! It's anti-social behaviour really isn't it. If a person made such a noise who WASN'T a trash person, you would try and get them labelled with an ASBO, and would probably succeed with that! I guess you should complain to your local council and see if they can do anything about it! You never know, things might work out if you do that.
@ElicBxn (60134)
I agree that it's not the nicest thing they could be doing. And I really don't object to getting them off the route early during the summer, but why are they allowed to continue these early rounds now that its winter?
You are probably not going to like my answer to your discussion . But you asked for an opinion so I am going to give you one . Do you really think the trash company should rearrange their schedule so as not to disturb yours or your roomates sleep? Be realistic here . If the noise bothers you that much , put in a pair of earplugs on trash day . Cheryl
@ElicBxn (60134)
Honestly, while I don't like them picking up so early, what really bothered me was the horn. A toot or 2 might've been all right, but they just kept honking. And it wasn't the beeping of backing up either, it really did sound more like a train horn, very loud. Now, I guess considering that there are all these people that get in their cars and put on really loud music, so they could also be at fault. Or not paying attention, but at some point there has to be something done.
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi Elic, In this country you can make noise between 7am and 11pm and that includes horns so 7.30am would be reasonable here in the UK. My trash men come every Thursday at 7am and I work a 2-10.30pm shift myself sometimes but am up in the morning by 6.30 anyway but then I do have a little one and if tired will have a snooze in the afternoon whilst he is at school. We are not allowed to leave our bags out the night before so I have to get up to put out for them early anyway. 6-6.30 though I do think is probably too early for them to be coming round. Huggles. Ellie :D
@ElicBxn (60134)
We are allowed to put the trash out the night before. Once upon a time they tried to tell us we couldn't. Like, how are they going to enforce it? The cops basically told them they weren't ticketing everyone who did it, and its not like we don't have them in sturdy dumpers, and there aren't leash laws. We used to have someone in the area that let their big dogs out every morning and this was before the big dumpers and they'd get into the trash. I called animal control and they finally got someone over here early enough to catch the dogs on trash day. I noticed after that, the dogs were still lose, except on trash day.
@sid556 (31018)
I know it can be disturbing but the thing is that they have a route and probably go to several places which for them is a full day. They have to start early in order to get everyones trash done within the day. They have different routes every day. I am thinking that if they changed their time for you then they'd have to change the entire route completely. In doing so, there is no doubt that they would be disturbing someone else and still get complaints. As for the horn blowing, it is usually because someone is parked in the way of the dumpster that they need to get to. I work the same shift as your roommate does only I work until 11pm and so I do know that early morning noises can wake you. If it is a common noise, you do eventually adjust to it and sleep right thru it. I have lived next to an airport and also in between a fire station & police station. I got so used to that noise that it didn't even faze me. Good luck...hope you find some sort of peaceful solution to this problem.
@ElicBxn (60134)
I know they have a full day, but they start early to get off early, and that's fine in the summer when the afternoons are 100+ degrees, but why are they still doing it in the winter?