Are You Sleeping?

@Ldyjarhead (10157)
... are you sleeping? Brother John? Brother John? I just heard someone singing Frere Jacques on TV and it brought back the fondest memories of my childhood. Although the song is of French origin and most often sung in that language (and the translation to English isn't literal), it is a song that is commonly known by just about every American from toddler on up. That got me thinking. Are there any songs from America that are known to and sung by children worldwide? Those of you 'across the pond', speak up!
@lovesummer (1162)
i know one!! bla bla black sheep have you any wool?? then i cant remember, and just remember another one twinkle twinkle little star how i wonder bla bla bla!@@@ hahaha thanks for sharing
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Someone else just mentioned Twinkle Twinkle, and since you know it too, it's a safe bet that it is commonly known all over. I would never have thought of Baa Baa Black Sheep. I wonder what the origin is of that one? I'm guessing it is originally from the UK.
@techgurl (451)
• Greece
I remember singing tons of songs in English in my childhood, though I am not sure if all of them were American. I don't remember the exact titles, but some of them were "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands", "Twinkle, twinkle little star" and Frere Jacques in English as well.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Oh yes, Twinkle Twinkle, I should have known that one would be fairly common world-wide. Thank you for responding. This should be interesting!
@BarBaraPrz (21687)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Little Wolfie Mozart wrote that one...
@3cardmonte (5098)
we always sung that in school in the UK. We also used to sing give me oil in my lamp, did you sing that one?
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
No, I never heard of that one. Is it common to everyone in the UK You've done exactly what I was looking for, though, thank you. I think it would be interesting to know what sort of little things traveled the world way back before international travel was easy, and of course the advent of the internet. You might want to school responder #1, LOL.
Its quite common as its one of those songs you HAD to sing in primary school. Although its a religious song so theyre probably not allowed in now!!! I get that kind of answer from him all the time. We sang some odd songs though, we sang things like "little boxes" and "any old iron"
@dragon54u (31663)
I remember that song, too! I always thought of a little boy on a tree swing with flowers all around. Music was so much a part of my childhood, and I can still hear my mother's beautiful voice singing those nursery rhymes to me. Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories to me with this discussion.
@dolphin2406 (1227)
• Poland
Yes I remember Frere Jacques from my French lessons when I was about 12, we used to sing it in class. Sorry but i dont know any American songs
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Besides the pop' goes the weasel,Do your ears hang low,and the wheels on the bus go round and round,Jesus loves me,B-i-b-l-e,This old man,old mother Hubbard,Bingo! was his name o',and a few more that I know that the kids love singing..
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Yes, all of those are common in the U.S., but I'm wondering if they are common to those in other countries?
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Now that I don't know. maybe the Jesus loves me and the pop goes the weasel but not really sure..be cool to find out though.
@EvrWonder (3577)
Well I am "across the pond" and we too sung Are You Sleeping. It sure does bring back the fondest of memories. How about Ring Around The Rosie? I believe that song was sung by children worldwide. Thank you for this discussion.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Oooh, good one. I wonder if children outside of North America know that one? Something tells me the origin is Europe somewhere, but I'm just guessing. When you think about it, our country is only a few generations old, so all of the really old ditties would have to have started elsewhere.
@onlydia (2808)
Well, I'm from the USA and I don't remember it. I remember twinkle twinkle little star. That is about it right now. You have a good day. Your friend onlydia
@smilyn (2964)
My son who is 3 years old enjoys songs like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Ba ba black sheep"..The other most favourite song of him is "Old McDonald had a farm...ye ah..ye ah..oh..". Infact it is one of the favourite rhymes for me too. Wonderful song for kids to learn about animals and their sounds and to have great fun.
@lingli_78 (12844)
i used to sing that song a lot as well when i was still in primary school... other songs that i used to sing is london bridge is falling down, marry had a little lamb, row row row your boat, my bonny and many more... but i don't know whether those songs are from America or not... take care and have a nice day...
@winterose (39916)
I just know are you sleeping are you sleeping brother john brother john, morning bells are ringing morning bells are ringing ding dang dong, ding dang dong, and that is exactly translated from the french, as I am in Quebec and we sing both english and french all the time. ring around the rosie is english from uk London bridge is falling down same thing oh I think I know an american one, Yankee doodle came to town riding on a pony...
hye ldyjarhead! well, i think 70% of the songs my school teacher taught us were american songs. twinkle twinkle little star, baa baa black sheep, mary had a little lamb, and tons more. we do have our kiddie songs in our own language my during my time, we were exposed more to english songs. i hope i did answer your question. happy posting and have a nice day!
Hi Ldyjarhead, Yes I have heard of that song and its is worldwide but I was wrecking my brians to remember anything American songs I used to sing but I I can't, such a shame. Tamara
@mkmoney (468)
erm to be honest i dont really know what your on about what is your question dont waste time on asking dum question (no offence) but no one will answer it if you dont understand
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Hey, if you don't know what I'm talking about, stay out of it. My question was very plain, and if you don't know the Queen's English enough to comprehend it, that's not my fault.
@BarBaraPrz (21687)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Spoken like a true master sargent...
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
LOL, Barbara. It sneaks back out every once in a while.
@BarBaraPrz (21687)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I remember, in grade six maybe, we learned a song that went "Oh, how lovely is the evening..." and the teacher knew it was an international piece so asked the kids of different ethnicities if they knew the words in their language. We learned it in Italian, French, German, and Polish (I provided the Polish version... actually, I think it is a traditional Polish folk song... it appears in orchestral form on one of my old LPs, anyway).
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Interesting. I'm not familiar with that one either.
@AJ1952Chats (2340)
• Anderson, Indiana
I'm on the same side of the pond as you, but I would guess that "It's A Small World" is probably sung several places around the world. I'd say that this would probably hold true with several songs from Disney soundtracks as well.
@fluffysue (1463)
This is very funny, as I was just talking about this yesterday. My mom and I were visiting my sister and her family. My niece has a toy that plays this song, and I found that my mom and I know the song in both languages, but for some reason my sister only knows it in French! (from French class in school). I thought it was funny she didn't know it in English. I'm sorry that doesn't really answer your question, I just had to comment. I am curious about this as well.
@Jenaisle (3803)
There are many, we have the Star Spangled Banner, lol,,, God bless America, and of course all of Michael Jackson's songs..lol..especially thriller...or are those not included? I always sang with gusto God bless America when I was a kid.
yeah!! I remember that too. . . its really a good song for relaxation. . like the whistling thing. . hehehhe
@Shar19 (8236)
I think all of the nursery rhymes are known worldwide. My children's favorites are "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Hickory Dickery Dock".