How can I make liquid soap?

using the scraps of bar soap. What would be the best way to make liquid soap? I have grated down some to add to my wash. Since I buy octagon bar soap for my laundry. I would like to make bath soap out of them. Thanks very much for the help. SJ
@skinnychick (6907)
Here's an easy recipe for you! Homemade Liquid Hand Soap - Recipe Ingredients 1 bar soap (6 oz) 1 TBS honey 1 tsp glycerin water Directions Grate bar of soap into small flakes, pour in blender. Add 1 cup boiling water and whip. Add 1/2 cup room temperature water and stir in blender. Add honey and glycerin, stir. Allow mix to cool (15 minutes) then whip again. Mixture should be 2 cups at this point. Top with cool water until mixture measures between 5 and 6 cups, whip. Pour into containers and allow to cool (do not put lids or caps on yet). After an hour, close containers. Soap mixture will thicken up. Shake before using as needed. Optional: You can make this with herb infused water, just strain before using.
@peavey (16873)
Wow, thank you! I'm going to try this.
Wow this sounds great to try. I hate honey on my eatables. I would love it in my soap. I am going to try making some now with out honey. I have none in my home. I hope I can find an extra bottle for it. Thanks very much for the help. I want to try adding mint to the soap.
@chrislotz (8203)
Wow, that sounds pretty easy to do. Thanks I will give it a try too. I always wondered how to do it.
@Paula1966 (1102)
There is lots of soap making info on the web - I generally steer clear of soap crafts, though, because it involves heating the stuff up which, for some reason, makes me nervous. I mean, it shouldn't be any different than cooking, right? Maybe it is the need for a thermometer and flashbacks to chemistry lab... Anyway, if you are just looking for a use for the ends, and it doesn't HAVE to be liquid, you could make a bag for the slivers. Just get a wash cloth, fold it in half, seam up two sides, and then on the open end, make a drawstring casing. Run some smallish cotton rope through the casing, put in your soap scraps, pull the drawstring closed, and you are good to go!
@Paula1966 (1102)
If you crochet or knit, using some Peaches and Cream yarn to whip one up would be an option, too.
Soapmaking can make people nervous but I make my own soap and it's easy now though it has taken me years to master the craft. It almost is like working in a chemistry lab if I think about it.
@chrislotz (8203)
I am sorry I can't help you with this but it will be interesting to see what other members here have to say about it. My opinion is that using laundry soap for bath soap is not such a good idea. There is lye in laundry soap and that would be way too harsh for your skin and could burn it and/or dry it out pretty bad. So in my opinion, I think I would stick to store bought bath soap as it has softer ingrediants in it and isn't so harsh. Alrighty then, talk to you later my friend, Have a good mylotting day, Chris
There is actually lye in all soap- during the soapmaking process, the lye when mixed with the fat and oils cooks out and turns to glycerin in the chemical reaction. If it doesn't have lye, it isn't soap. As long as you don't use lye heavy soap- most good soapmakers test their soap for lye presence- you will be ok.
@chrislotz (8203)
Thanks for the information, my friend.
• Lubbock, Texas
Hi, giftsandbags! I haven't seen you around for a while now. Welcome back. To make liquid soap, I usually just grate up the bar soap, pour about 3 times as much boiling water over it, and let it set overnight, then stir it up to make sure it's all dissolved. Then I add more hot water to thin it down if necessary.
I am going to boil it back down. I am very happy to be back. It will take me time to get my groove back. I am going back to sewing and leaving the computer. Enjoy your day.
@elemental69 (1562)
Hi try this one... hope it is what your looking for. I found this a couple weeks ago when a friend asked me the same question...:-)http://greenliving.suite101.com/article.cfm/diy_make_liquid_soap
Thanks for the link. I am off to check it out. I also thought I could boil down the bars into liquid with water.