What is with the artificial sweetener craze?!?

It seems like everywhere you look nowadays you find sweeteners.... aspartame, saccharin, sucralose..... they are everywhere! They are in almost every brand of chewing gum, breath mints... I am trying somewhat half-heartedly to lose 10-15 pounds so I looked into getting some lo-cal drink mixes. I get artificial sweeteners in the "kool-aid-y" flavors like the strawberry kiwis and the cherry berry-s but tea? Special K has a protein water in several flavors and one flavor is plain ordinary iced tea but even that has sweetener in it. People tell me all the time, you can't taste it, it doesn't taste any different from sugar, yadda yadda yadda.... so why then can I tell you it's in something without even reading the label? This is not anything against the people who really do prefer the flavor. Some people like the way cigarettes taste, that doesn't mean everyone should smoke. But frankly, I can't see how a chemically manufactured sweetener is "better" for me than natural, from the Earth sugar.
@snowcat46 (2323)
It's not. You'll do better eating lots of sweet fruit. That sugar breaks down much better. Did you know diet pepsi doesn't cut down on calories? I gave it up for a couple weeks, not really on a diet or anything either or exercising, and I lost 10 pounds. Who knew?
I do eat lots of fruit. My point is that I don't like artificial sweeteners (i.e. those found in diet sodas) but it seems they are in everything, even where they are unnecessary. I bought a box of hot cocoa mix.... like three or four years ago, it's been a while. It was Nestle brand so I figured it would be pretty good. No where on the box did it say "no sugar added" or "sugar free" - the usual red flags that something will contain artificial sweeteners of some kind. I get it home, fix a piping hot mug and couldn't drink it because, when I looked at the ingredients list, there it was: sucralose. I have TMJ so I don't chew a lot of gum but I do once in a while and I am hard pressed to find a brand that doesn't have sweeteners in it. I just think it's ridiculous how much of that stuff manufacturers push on us.
@Modestah (11192)
I know it! and it irks me something awful. you can not buy anything with :"less sugar" and simply have it be less sugar, no they have to umpf it with sucralose, and you are right, nearly all chewing gum has it. I detest sucralose, it makes me quite ill. and one of my children has seizures when he consumes aspartame. really, I think it might be part of a conspiracy