My New Yogurt Cup Dessert's A Big Hit...

@twoey68 (13651)
As alot of you know, I've went to using yogurt cups for food servings. It helps me control my diabetes (since I have to eat every 3 hours) and it helps me with portion control. Well, I started something new that is a big hit not only with me but with my Nephew (who can't have sweets) and my Mom who is also diabetic. I've been using my yogurt cups to make homemade jello cups. They are great!! I put an ice cream scoop of fruit (with juice) in the bottom of the cup and make up the jello and pour it over top. I stick them in the fridge and that's it. My Nephew loves them...even prefers them...and he asks for one every time he comes over. My Mom asks for them when I see her too. And I love them b/c it doesn't mess up my sugar levels. It's also easy to make. I can't wait to try more things. I have a favorite summer time dessert...fruit cottail, cottage cheese and cool-whip. You mix it all up and toss in some nuts and it is delish...only problem is I eat too much of it and end up messing up my sugar. With the yogurt cups, I won't have that problem. What kind of things would you make up and put them? Any desserts you need help controling when you make them? [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
how about sugar free pudding & some kind of fruit such as bananas & maybe sugar free cookies & you'd have banana pudding. i have a jello recipe that u put suar free pudding in & fruit if you'd like to have it. it keeps alot longer than just regular jello.
@twoey68 (13651)
I thought about pudding but with milk being so expensive it's not something I can do alot...maybe if I put some fruit in it then I wouldn't have to use as much pudding and it would go further...I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the idea and you can pm the recipe to me if you'd like...it sounds like a good one to try. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
will do.
Good for you! Good idea! They sound good. When do you start sending them to your new customers. Like me! Just kidding!
@twoey68 (13651)
LOL I'm already making extra's for Hubby, my Nephew and my Mom. I need more cups LOL [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@ElicBxn (60771)
my client who is diabetic, is more concerned with her taste buds than her blood sugar She also believes in filling up rather than portion control... I wish she'd do something like this, I'd even be willing to find her containers to do it with, but she wouldn't ever stop with one Heck, neither does the roomie, 2 is the normal portion for ice cream, 2 drum sticks, 2 ice cream sandwiches, 2 whatever....
@twoey68 (13651)
My Mom found out the same problem with the ones that live with her. So, I just make them and take her a couple. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@lilybug (21148)
That sounds like a reat idea. I don't normally over do it on desserts, but I do on things like strawberries and melon. I bet that would work for me with those things. I don't have a problem with my blood sugar, but I eat so much of them that my stomach almost hurts.
@twoey68 (13651)
I'm also going to use this idea for grapes...I adore grapes but eat so many that I end up sick from them...this might help keep them under control LOL [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
Hi twoey68, I don't eat or make any desserts for a long time and my hubby don't have it either, he would rather eat a bar of chocolate or some biscuits after dinner so I don't make up anything, but hey! you have good ideas it great!! Tamara
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
They make the best little yogurt parfaits just use vanilla yogurt and berries of choice with a dollop of sugar free cool whip so you are actually getting 2 parfaits made with one thing of yogurt. we use them with pudding,Jello, take a pack of 100 calorie pack cookies chocolate. and crush the cookie in bottom or you can use a sugarfree cookie and put in the bottom of the cup then add a layer of chocolate pudding then a dollop of cool whip with another layer of crushed cookie then pudding then dollop oc cool whip again then maybe a little crumbles of cookie..
HEY, where is my i want some too!!!!!!lolo i KNOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE, BUT WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN ONE IS NOT ENOUGH?Really ain't they fatten if you eat more,like say 5 ?Ilike them so much it is hard to quit.
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
Lol Yes indeed alot of calories you would be burning off if you ate that many. I would say lock the fridge and give it to someone else so you won't be tempted to eat that many.
@mtdewgurl74 (18121)
Lord by my response you can tell I am tired. Okay lock the fridge and give the key to someone else and with eating t hat many you would have to burn off alot of calories and it wouldn't be considered eating healthy if you did.
@suspenseful (40316)
I am not that much into desserts, but I love cheesecake. When we go out, which will not be for a long time, I would slice the cheesecake into about four pieces and eat one a night. I also love yogurt, and will buy the zero calorie or the two percent kind, not the kind with fillers, but the Astro kind. I mix four to five tbsps of yogurt,with a tablespoon of flax seed, four almonds and two pieces of walnuts, plus some cinnamon and have that for a snack. I also eat one banana and one apple a day. And to avoid eating too many nuts, I put them in the freezer that is in the basement. The yogurt desert is very nice, but I sure wish I had not used up my blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
@twoey68 (13651)
I just saw where you can put a wafer cookie or two (the kind you use in banana pudding) in the bottom of the cup, mix up the cheesecake mix, pour it over the cookies and then top it with a fruit if you want. Their like mini cheesecakes. I can't wait to try them. If you wanted to you could just fill the yogurt cup half way rather than all the way so you don't over-indulge. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
I mix spinach and eggs together. I like that. What kind of fruit with juice do you use? Is it in the can or what?
@slickcut (8141)
I have mixed spinish & eggs too, and i agree it is very good!
That sounds yummy. I love spinach.
@moondancer (7434)
You have spoke of this before. I keep forgetting to let my mother know about this. SHe is diabetic and it would also help her to portion her "snacks" and bits of things that she may need throughout the day and night. I have meant to thank you for the idea and forgot that too. I do apologize. Thank you for the suggestions and I will let my mother know. Hugs twoey
@twoey68 (13651)
It's helped me alot not to mention that I've learned that foods that I thought were 1-2 servings are actually 5-6...talk about overeating. I keep several in the fridge...some are desserts like the jello cups and others are main dishes which are mostly things we had for dinner and I put some in the cups. I also make up a couple cans of soup and split them into the cups. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
yes, I have read your thoughts on this and what you do with the many things you can eat and what they are. I wrote to my mother yesterday right after sending your post. Thanks again.
@Modestah (11192)
brilliant idea to help with portion control. I think I will adopt it - only use those glass custard type dishes instead that way I can make up portions and heat in them too. I can't think of any deserts to make up in advance right now that would be diabetic friendly.... using the glass dishes does open itself up to baked goods though - like mini pies or apple crisps.
@twoey68 (13651)
I usually heat mine in the microwave right in the cup...you just can't leave it for very long. I used the yogurt cups b/c I had a bunch sitting in the cupboard but if the custard dishes work, go for it. I also make up baked things and just spoon them into the cups. I had several cups of pumpkin pie at Christmas and Thanksgiving...it really helped me to control my eating at a time when I, like most ppl, eat way too much. Good luck with it. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@comfort55 (1574)
Hi, sounds good recipe for diabetics. Since my hubby has diabetes(it's on the border), can you give me the exact recipe of this dessert. Thanks in anticipation.
@twoey68 (13651)
It's not really a recipe for diabetics it is more a way that I found to help in controlling my diabetes and learning portion control. With my diabetes I have to eat something small every 3 hours...the yogurt cups let me do that without overeating. The jello cups are simply a ice cream scoop of fruit cottail in the bottom and then pour the prepared jello over it. You stick it in the fridge and that's all there is to it. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
Hey girl, I am going to try the yogurt cups and the jello with fruit, I know if I show Christy how to make them she will. She loves fruit and jello maybe she will make some for Paul & Nikki and me. I just told Christy and she say's YEA!!! Sounds great! The only treat I tasted one that I love but I never could make it was: A cake but it was not a normal cake it had a fudge cake on the bottom not think but thin and then jello in the middle with fresh cut strawberries in it then pudding thin layer chocolate flavor with homemade whip cream on top with more slices of strawberries and chocolate slivers . Let's just said that dessert did more for me then my ex- hubby did for me that night!!! AHHHHH!!!! The thing was she used all fat free stuff and low sugar. She said you can use it with sugar or with-out. I said I would like it either way! I ate 7 pieces. Yes, I know I am a pig but then I also knew it would probably by next to never before I got to taste that again. And, I was right! ** Peace and Love get's you through everything in Life, but desserts help! ** LOL
@twoey68 (13651)
Look at it this way...she'll never starve now LOL That dessert sounds good but that much chocolate would probably kill me LOL With 2 kids in the house I'm surprised you got 7 pieces...it had to be when they were babies. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@leenie50 (3992)
Hey twoey, Where have you been? I haven't seen you lately. This is a great idea you have come up with. Do you ever freeze your yogurt? I had a friend that used to do that all the time. I haven't tried it but I'll bet it's good. I love your fruit and jello idea. I'm anxious to try that and the fruit, cottage cheese and cool whip. I just might try that tomorrow. If I can think of any, I'll let you know. Hugsssss leenie
@twoey68 (13651)
I haven't been able to be on alot lately b/c Hubby and I are once again sharing a pc...his is broke. I've never tried freezing yogurt but I'll give it a try. Hugs back at ya! [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
That is a great idea. It also means less rubbish being thrown away. We use ours in the garden as striker pots for seeds and cuttings, and because they are small and a biproduct of our diet, they are cheap and convenient. No tantrums if they get broken. They can also be used for kids paints. why pay a small fortune for special paint pots when yoghurt cups will do? I use baby food jars for storing my beads in too. And coffee, milo, and infant formula tins have been collected and put to various uses too. Why chuck it out when it is going to be of use. All these are great for storing our bird seed, as a biscuit barrel and for other uses too, including mini compost units. As for controlling portion. Well, I have very little self control when it comes to that! lol.
@Shellyann36 (8916)
That is a great idea. I know that the portion control part is very hard to do but very necessary for your diabetic control. I unfortunately need portion control or just control for every dessert! I do love to eat jello though. It is a very fun dessert that does not kill the waistline. I am glad you got your portion control and diabetes under control.
@laydee (12814)
Wow, that's cool. I am also diabetic so I'm trying to find ways to keep myself eating without getting too much change in my sugar levels. I'm going to try that! hahaha.. thanks for the tip!
I think you should get all your recipes together and publish them in a book. There are so many diabetics out here who could use your tips.The Jello cup is genius.
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Twoey..that is a fantastic idea! I myself wouldn't of thought about anything like that but in future for my grandson and perhaps daughter and son will make something like that so it is there for a snack or with my grandson he might like it as a pudding!! Thanks for your creative thinking..will have to use that hope you don't mind...hugs littleowl
Have you tried non fat cottage, sugar free jello and non fat cool-whip mix them up and put them in your yogurt cup. YUM I love the black cherry jello but a friend uses orange jello.
@KrauseHome (34995)
This is an excellent idea and thanks for sharing it. I should share this one in my Yahoo Diabetic groups, as I think most of them could end up benefiting from this tip as well. This does sound quite good as well, and something I might consider worth trying myself.