what age do you normally give your child their first pet and what would it be ?

our kids all have pets most got their first at age 3 being a kitten or a puppy, but now that has derailed into a ZOO. its fun tho ;) ~M~
@magikrose (5423)
that is really personal preference. I have 4 children of all ages, and we have birds. My husband and I have had birds since we got together. We never thougth about a certain age we just felt that no matter what kids need to learn responsibility and I feel the sooner the better.
lol thats what i mean about the zoo, we also have 4 children and as for pets we have 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 tanks w/ guppies and goldfish, 2 birds, and 3 rabbits oh what can i say i cant say no to my lil young ones when they tell me bought a pet that needs a home:P~M~
@beckyomg1 (6758)
Yeah i think that if you think the kids can handle a pet it is up to you. I think that like a small one like a fish, or something like that would be a good pet at first.
• Janesville, Wisconsin
The First to start off with to teach responsibility of feeding and cleaning the tank. I think would be ... you are going to laugh. Sea Monkeys! For younger children 2-3 years old.. After they learn to stop over feeding.. I think from the time they learn to count, so they can count feeding times, and then the time they learn to handle a pet correctly a cat, a dog, other fish etc. Fish seem to be good for starters teaching the children how to change and clearn their tanks, then go to a cat or a dog, choose one that does not mind being handled and is not overly senstivie. I had my first cat at the age of three years old. I named her Earnie after Bert and Earnie on Sesimee street. She lived to 10 years old.. but was the type of cat that only allowed me to handle her and no one else... :) .. Since then I had cared for cats all my life, that either been born in our area, given to us, or I adopted after discovering they were dumped. I love cats... And it was not wrong for me to have my first one at such a young age :) ... I got my first English Sheepdog at the age of 6.... I helped out with the other smaller family housedog alot to prove I could handle her. ... My Lamb Dog - Petey type in the search engines and you should find the story about my dog and I. Take care all!