Is it considered TREASON when REFUSING to SUPPORT BARACK OBAMA AS PRESIDENT?

Treason is defined as (1)the offense of acting the overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its soverign (2)A VIOLATION OF ALLEGIANCE TO ONE's SOVERIGN or TO ONE's STATE (3)THE BETRAYAL OF TRUST OR CONFIDENCE; BREACH OF FAITH; TREACHERY. President Barack Obama has been in office for 13 days total. I am impressed with his appetite for getting things done! He began building the framework for success before he took office. Since he has taken office, nothing he has done is in conflict with his campaign promises. Closing Guantanamo Bay, on January 29,2009 he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. Which is a step in the right direction toward equal pay for an equal job for women. He has publicly ousted Wall Street for mishandling the $700 Billion that was approved by the Bush Administration to bail out banks and corporations. WHAT MORE CAN THE AMERICAN PUBLIC ASK FOR AFTER ONLY 13 DAYS IN OFFICE? Some of the discussions I have read, have been in total disgust for our President. I think it is disgusting. When Former, Pres. Bush was in office, I did not agree with his STANDING POLICIES that supported the wealthy, the greed of the wealthy and his some of his decisions regarding the war.....but you know what....he was still the President of the US.Some of the decisions he made for big businesses are 99.9% the reason why we are where we are today economically. He borrowed money from China; when the technology in China threatened viable American Corporations and jobs. I could go on and on....but I think it is disgusting if we do not support our PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA after only 13 days in office. He has a lot to clean up, to correct, to build and every person in America...if they consider themselves a true American should be doing all they can to help and support instead of critisize and complain! What do you think?
@cripfemme (7718)
I support Obama and I'm really happen with what he's done so far (much better than Bush). But as an activist, I'm really hesitant to call criticizing the President treason. If it is, I'm guilty of doing it with Bush, God knows. We must mindful of what we say and what it encourages. Even our best intentions, can lead to unintended consequences.
@ladyluna (7004)
"We must mindful of what we say and what it encourages. Even our best intentions, can lead to unintended consequences." Ver well said, Cripfemme!
Cripfemme, I have not heard many liberals with this much insight into what our actions & words can lead to. Excellent comment.
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
People complained WAY WAY WAY WAY more under Bush. And not only do I think you are wrong for criticizing free speech, but I also disagree that Bush is at fault for those things. Why would someone who didn't want him to be President support him?
@laglen (19782)
We have freedom of speech. not supporting Obama is NOT reason. Trying to assassinate him,, now your getting there.
Is that a threat? Did you even read the discussion before you responded? I never questioned free speech. I am going to give you one more try. Read the discussion again and then respond. I can not believe you would say something that ignorant. Try again.
@ulalume (714)
"Not supporting" a President is not "violation of allegiance." This is speaking about violating your allegiance to the country (working with terrorists while a US citizen, would be an example). I suppose we should throw all of the Bush haters in jail to for treason? The United States has separate treason laws, I believe, to protect the citizens. We have free speech and free thought here. It is not criminal to have these thoughts. We have the right to not support Obama just like people also have the right to support him. Just because he is President, does not make him ruler or king of the land. We don't bow to President Obama. PS: If you consider yourself a true American I would suggest not telling people they are untrue because they do not support him. People have their reasons, whatever they may be. I basically agree with you that he's been doing a decent job, though.
It is not treason to not support the president. You don't have to like the president but it is treason to betray the country like telling another country the secrets of the government or its weaknesses is just two examples.
@gie2910 (407)
NOOOOOOOOO. We have our freedom to suport what we believe in, that is why this country have been established !!!!
@sierras236 (2740)
He has gone back on his campaign promises. I suggest your read the proposed bailout in full and see how much this is really going to stimulate the economy. All it really is going to do is put us into more debt and are great great grandchildren are going to be paying for it. This bailout plan alone goes against all of those campaign promises to cut wasteful spending from the government. Last I heard, it wasn't Bush who was freely handing out the money. Better double check that fact as well. Remember it was Congress who passed the first bill without the necessary oversight and they were a democratic majority when it was passed. The biggest problem most of us are having right now, is that nothing he has done has been new, different, or even good for the American people. Right now, I am seriously questioning the newest legislation and that is something Obama has had his name on. We are starting to enter a serious depression not only can this piece of legislation make it far worse, as history has proven, it also promises a period of hyperinflation afterward. Think food prices are high now, just wait. Notice I did not personally attack Obama once. But, I did ask some serious questions about the legislation he has his name on. As far as closing Guantanamo Bay, I have serious questions on that as well. First of all, there is no plan to deal with the terrorists. Next, no one in the country or Congress wants them in their territory. There is no plan for bringing them to trial. There is still a lot of heavy debate on whether they should have the same rights as Americans. Many who have been released have gone back to their former terrorists activities. Yes, he may have closed the prison, but did he put our servicemen in more danger by doing so? These serious questions must be addressed before anyone can say this is a good or a bad thing. The big question will be in how he handles these prisoners. So far, this has not been addressed other than to sign some Presidential order. Personally, I think these very serious and overlooked details need to have been worked out before signing a piece of paper. Again out come the questions. I am worried about the safety of our country and do not want another terrorist attack on American soil. So far nothing he has done, has been in keeping with any of his campaign promises of change.
@mmiceli (382)
I just think it's absolute ludicrous that all these Obama supporters freak out when someone disagrees with him. HELLO! We've been dealing with you people disrespecting President Bush for 8 years!
I do not agree with Obama's policy and I do not think he is doing a good job. That is my opinion and i am entitled to it. It is not treason to disagree with your president. That is actually what makes this country so great, that we disagree. If we all agreed then there would never be a check on anything the government did. I can ask for what he promised us which is bipartisanship. Which he hasn't done. And I think it is so hypocritical for any liberal to be offended that someone doesn't like Obama. The disrespect shown to former president Bush was way beyond just disagreeing with him. I mean there was an entire show making fun of him! And I believe it is my duty as an American citizen to question my government. If he does something I don't agree with I will call him out on it. Just like you did with Bush.
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion and this is NOT a quetion of free speech. The 1st Amendment is the backbone of sites like this where people such as I can express my opinion and and we can have open discussion. We do not ALL have to agree but I think we all need to support the BIGGER PICTURE and stop criticizing the man. The Bigger Picture is the current state of the United States of America, joblessness, corrupt corporations wasting millions of dollars....a failing infrastructure. Whether democrat or republican you have to see the truth in what is happening all around you. Radio personalities such as Rush Limbaugh who publicly stated he "wanted Obama to fail" qualify under the definition of treason I provided earlier. That is a better description of the purpose of this forum.
So you want me to completely support him but exercise my right to free speech. I don't even know why I'm arguing with you. Apparently the only "intelligent" people on hear agree with you.
oops I meant on here
No it is not treason, One does not need to be seditious to disapprove of the president and disapprove and not support his/her policies.
I agree with you, I dont think its right that people are already judging him, he has only been in office for 13 days..dang give him atleast a year. I could imagine, the mess he has to deal with,fix and make better and honestly,4 years may not even be enough time to fix all that we have and bush has destroyed.... And you know,for thoes people who dont support obama, let me see them not touch a dime of that money they will recieve this year from the stimulus check, you think thats ganna happen? LMAO...NOT ME....
"And I suppose you never touched a dime that Bush sent back to you?" quoted from you.... Yes,you are correct... I never touched a dime of the stimulas check that bush sent out.. Bush was given a chance,I mean for goodness sakes,he was re-elected! so why is it that obama is getting all this flak?.. No one is perfect and no one will go through life and not make a mistake.. Like i said above. atleast give the guy a year before you go judging him and his ability to make change..
To xXxMikesWifeyxXx I agree with you. These same people in this discussion that are so completely angry will be benefiting from the $15K tax break for new homeowners, they wil be applying for and accepting the jobs that are clearly outlined in Obama's plan, they will be driving along the roads, highways and bridges that Obama's plan will allocate funds for cities to complete. And what is funny is they will still complain about THE singular flaw they find. I do not think by any stretch of the imagination that Obama is perfect, he is afterall a humanbeing, but I have confidence that he WILL get the job done and done correctly! Dont pay attention to all the other jibberish and venom that is being spewed in this discussion. Have a blessed day!
@PrarieStyle (2495)
So do you think the government should round us all up then and throw us in FEMA camps? Or should we all be lined up and shot? How am I supposed to support him when I don't agree with his policies, didn't vote for him and the very sound of the name President Barak Hussein Obama makes me ill?
@Fortunata (1136)
no!!
@caver1 (1765)
I don't know about treason, but we should support our President. We should give him respect and pray for his success. If he fails then we fail. I didn't vote for him and don't agree with all his ideas for the direction our nation needs to go, but I'll support and pray for him as he leads our country.
@ladyluna (7004)
Hello Bailey2009, I take serious issue with this post on so many levels; where to begin? The first is your presented definition of Treason. According to U.S. law, as reprinted by the most respected U.S. Legal journal in the nation, Baron's, the legal definition of treason is: "The crime of "adhering to the enemy and rendering him aid and comfort." -- 325 US1,3 Now, if we wish to rely on a lesser authority, there's always The American Heritage Dictionary which defines treason as: "Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies. A betrayal of trust or confidence." So, in the first place you are dangerously in error in suggesting that more than half of America may be engaged in the act of treason! (40% of Americans didn't vote in November, of those who did, nearly half voted against the new administration). Second: The mantra of the left throughout the past eight years was that it wasn't only patriotic to dissent, but that it was our duty to dissent. So, are you suggesting that all those people who didn't support Bush were "disgusting" and "guilty of treason"? A "true American" might just as well be contemplating a Second Amendment effort to raise arms against this wholesale attempt to undermine the US Constitution, instead of simply vocalizing their displeasure over being led down the road of surrender to Big Brother! "A Communist breaks because he must choose at last between irreconcilable opposites — God or Man, Soul or Mind, Freedom or Communism.” - Whittaker Chambers
@ladyluna (7004)
Thanks you, Sndcain!
The Definition I quoted was from www.dictionary.com/browse/treason I am by no means a lawyer! However, as a proud citizen of this country, I find it unbelievable that with all of your so-called "brilliance" you do not see the correlation between standing behind your President and allegiance to this country. Whether or not ANYONE is guilty of treason...was never the question. My question was "Is it CONSIDERED treason when REFUSING to support our President. It is clear that your answer is a simple No. God or Man, Soul or Mind, Freedom or Communism sounds like a great topic for discussion, but it is not the topic of this one. It is my sincere hope that at the age of 44 you can decipher the difference in this topic of DISCUSSION and the legal definition, convicion and sentencing of someone truly guilty of treason. Have a blessed day
It will be a cold day in hell when I support him! they like to talk about how Sarah Palin was inexperienced and wouldn't have made it as a vice president.. what about Obama? BTW... it should scare the living hell out of everyone knowing that we have Biden as a vice president!!
And you dont think that Sarah Palin..........in her infinite stupidity would have been a better choice? Goodness gracious she did not even know that Africa was a continent. Do not take my word for it Check out on You Tube. The link is below. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZHTJsR4Bc
Yes she sure would be a genius if her only assignment were whippin' up Moose stew in ol' Alaska!....LOL! Tina Fey has more brains in her pinky finger than Sarah Palin has in her head.
Limbaugh is first and foremost and entertainer, NOT a politician or activist or policy maker. He is the first to say so. He's an entertainer with a Conservative viewpoint. If you like that kind of outspoken outrageousness, you listen. If you don't like, don't listen -- but don't assume he is anything close to the leader of Republicans or Conservatives. However, when he said "I want him to fail" -- he meant that he wants Obama to fail in instituting Socialism into our country, interpreting the Constitution how he sees fit, etc. In other words, he doesn't want to see American taken down by our President. That is far from what Obama would have you believe that he means. Obama and his cronies are afraid of free speech, because they prefer you to hear what they want you to hear. That's why we have free speech and freedom of the press in the first place, because without it, our leaders could tell us what they wanted us to think, and throw in jail anyone who disagreed. But Obama doesn't want the kind of free speech we have right now. He wants free speech for liberal media, but not conservative media. What's he afraid of? If you are sure in your beliefs and as sure as he claims to be that the people WANT your beliefs, then what's some opposition speech going to cost you? nothing. But if you are trying to shut up or shut down all outlets for opposition, you obviously know that there is a problem with your plan and if people really get to hear the whole truth they won't like it. Obama is an absolute expert at choosing his words and working the media. If people don't wise up and start reading between the lines, we are doomed.
@suspenseful (40316)
It is not considered treason if you oppose the policies of the leader. Yet it seems with the Obamamites that if you oppose Obama's policies you are considered planning to overthrow the government and are committing treason. When Bush was president, I read people who disagreed with his policies, but no one accused them of committing treason. Actually it is treason to overthrow the constitution and the presidency and it does not matter who is in charge. It is not treason to try to get rid of Obama for legitimate reasons, like if it is found out he is not a natural born US citizen, he lied on his application, etc. but it is treason to get rid of the president because you hated the way America was set and you do not like the Congress, house of representatives, etc. Oh the closing of Guantanamo Bay. Are you willing to have the terrorists in a penitentary near you? Do you think they are all innocent? Oh and guess who was to blame for the recession, it was those banks and loans who loaned money to people because of their color and ethnic group and it was the Democrats who complained that the poor blacks and Mexican Americans were being discriminated. The fault I give to Bush was that he was too nice, he gave in. He should have said no. It is all right to complain to the president even the demigod Obama if the policies are wrong and if they will hurt him. Obama does not have the rubber stamp or the right to rubber stamp everything he wants into law. If it is, then America will turn out to be like Nazi Germany and you will no longer have a president you will have a demigod or a dictator.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Lets look at how one U.S. president spoke on treason: TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE MUST BE NO CRITICISM OF THE PRESIDENT, OR THAT WE ARE TO STAND BY THE PRESIDENT, RIGHT OR WRONG, IS NOT ONLY UNPATRIOTIC AND SERVILE, BUT IS MORALLY TREASONABLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC.” ~Theadore Roosavelt
@mommaj (22768)
We can disagree with President Obama and as long as we don't physically hinder him our actions are not considered treason. I personally would have rather Jessie Jackson been President because you at least saw him working for the good of the people. I don't know where Barack Obama came from but I am glad he is now President. I didn't trust him and quite honestly if he starts talking to too many countries I never will. For now what he is doing for America is commendable and intelligently thought out. I am impressed with him so far.