Are The Doctors Out There Really Qualified?

Singapore
I happen to stumble on this article of how a little girl, just 2 years of age actually lost both her legs through her doctor's oversight on meningitis. I am just literally livid with the whole episode and more appalled when the article actually reveals that a research funded by the Meningitis Research Foundation has found 49 per cent of children taken to a doctor with potentially fatal meningitis and septicemia were sent home because the signs were missed. How could this be happening? I can understand that doctors are human and will err sometimes but I just cannot accept to such an extent where the misdiagnosis could cause such traumatic lost and suffering. Was this girl's doctor guessing? No offense for any doctors here. Back sometime, someone shared a perception when I lost my mother to IBD, where I was told that the causes and cures are simply unknown. He mentioned that the only difference between the layman and the doctor is that the latter is a more qualified guesser. I did not really paid much attention to this remark until now and I am just wondering whether doctors nowadays are guessing all this while? I am just appalled and livid here. So, is my confidence of the doctors of today it is just waning with time and these accounts. What about you? What do you think about the doctors today especially your family and/or personal doctor? Can you really trust them? Are their professionalism really that questionable? Ref: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1134408/My-little-girl-lost-legs-meningitis-GP-refused-make-home-visit.html
Ah that is ridiculous... Soetimes I get that feeling too and a lot of time's it feels like my doctor just isn't bothered. My mother is also having problems one of her older diseases is coming back that has been gone for the past 15+years and none of the doctors here in Ireland can figure out what is wrong with her she herself clearly knows what it is but she is having comunication difficulty as her English isn't her 1st language...
headabnger2884, Wow! What have we here? Now the health institution is running questionably? This is really sad and it just makes me wonder if all that advancement in medical science is just making these professionals and institutions taking a laid back attitude. Is mankind really regressing here? Especially the medical professionals namely the doctor? Frankly, I am quite surprised here as Ireland is quite reputable as far as medical science is concerned. I really hope that your mother's condition will be manageable soon and cured eventually. I don't know about you but if I were you, I would be writing to the authorities before this gets out of hand for her. Take care and do wish your mother well here.
It's very unfortunate to heard those incidents very often. Now a days there is a big question about professionalism and eligibility of the doctors. There are some good doctors still now. But most of other just concentrate on making more money from this. Their knowledge is also questionable. Most of them became doctors from private college investing large amount of money and learn almost nothing.
parthasarathide, This is certainly worrying and I just hope that the authorities and world governing bodies be pulling up their socks. We are talking about lives here and to be seen like "guinea pigs" is simply unthinkable. Have a nice day.
@mjmlagat (3171)
In fairness to those who are really well-equipped mentally technologically, yes, I believe there are still doctors who are very much competent out there. I have known a few. But similar to your experience, I also had my awful experience with one of these incompetents. That was the time I was pregnant with my third child. The doctor who read the result of my ultrasound just a week before my due date told me and my hubby that the baby inside my womb had no heartbeat and had no digestive system whatsoever. We were both devastated about the news and me, being about to give birth on that week was really depressed. Who could ever thought about it when every day I really was feeling the kicks and moves of my baby inside!? We just surrendered everything to the God hoping for something better. After the third day of the ordeal, I gave birth to a bouncing baby boy we name Christian. See how incompetent he was?!!! Thanks GOD!
mjmlagat, Simply incredible isn't it, on how that doctor ever got to be qualified to treat you? I've heard that there are some "quack" certified in your country and it is just better to be safe and really check on your doctor's credentials before he even be allowed to look at you. That "quack" on your 3 child birth really deserves to be shot. No offense and I really do not mean to be condescending about your country as I just overheard this one whilst on my travel in the plane to Cebu here. I can assure you just how scared I was. Take care