You must buy 2 cans of beer...........

Okay, I don't buy beer since I do not like the way it taste. I ask the following question only because I am curious. While in the convenience store a little while ago, I noticed a handwritten sign taped to one of the beer coolers. The sign read: "You must buy two 24oz cans of beer. This is city law" I know that the sign does not mean only two, but that it means that 24oz cans of beer must be bought in multiples of two. You may buy 2 cans but not 1 can, you may buy 4 cans but not 3 cans, etc. This much I have been told already. What I want to know is, what is the purpose of such a law; why does my city's law say that 24oz cans may only be purchased in multiples of two? Why can't someone buy only one 24oz size can of beer or only 3 24oz cans or only 5(instead of 6) 24oz cans of beer, etc.?
that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard I think its a conspiracy they make you have to buy more so that you end up drinking more so that the police can pick you up for either DUI or public intox
Yeah, it sounds pretty dumb to me too.