Anyone under 30 would be appalled at restaurants when I was a teen!

@dragon54u (31617)
Or anything, for that matter... When I was in high school & college in the early 70's, I worked a lot of jobs. Restaurants were kind of homey, it was just like being in my own kitchen only busier. We cooked the food, served it, arranged it and wearing gloves was unheard of. As a child I would go through the cafeteria line and no one was wearing gloves, there were no salad bars and if there had been there would have been no sneeze guards. The ladies handed us things with their bare hands. Just like cooks in restaurants, dishwashers, bus boys, bathroom attendants (scarce except in ritzy places) and everyone else. No gloves, no sneeze guards, germs all over the place! People are sicker now than back then. Do you think that's because we have more diseases now, or because we've compromised our immune systems by keeping all the germs away from ourselves? I think it might be a little of both. If you were transported back to those days, would you be totally grossed out by the different sanitation standards or would you just shrug it off and have a good time?
@uath13 (8207)
LOL...I grew up on a farm.... There's not much I wasn't exposed to.
@uath13 (8207)
Oh look, cookie on the floor... Yumm
@uath13 (8207)
M&Ms under the desk....Bonus!!!!
@dragon54u (31617)
LOL! The 7-second rule, if the dog didn't get it, right? My grandma used to make me wash my hands when I came in from the barn, I didn't see why, but that's about the only time anyone was strict about it. Dad said people eat at least a bushel of dirt every year-we grow things in it, there's nothing wrong with it!
@kellyjeanne (1576)
Like you, dragon, I was raised during the same time and I never thought about that. Interesting. I'm sure if I did go back in time I would be appalled, but, back then you just accepted it because that was what we knew at that time. I do remember when they started wearing gloves in restaurants and I remember thinking: "Now that's being smart!" Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
@dragon54u (31617)
When I first saw the gloves I was thinking what the heck?! There must be some horrible stuff in the kitchen today!! I do think we overreact with germs, though. Remember when doctors and nurses used gloves only during surgery? Heck, my doctor used to sterilize his needles and re-use them and threw them away only when they were dull!
Yea, but, with most people nowadays too eager to sue you do have to be more careful. Also, with AIDS and such too, it pays to be more careful. You just have to be so careful nowadays. Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
@deebomb (15323)
I would hope your Dr threw those needles away before he gave you a shot. Nothing worse than dull needles.
@deebomb (15323)
I do remember those restaurants too. I did work in one way back in the day. but the owner made sure it was clean not sanitized like today. We have a lot of bacteria that our bodies do need and all the sanitizing kills those bacteria. Our body need those bacteria to keep up our immune systems. As adults we don't get the dirt needed to keep the good bacteria in balance the way kids do. My favorite thing as a kid was mud pies, boy were they good. Kids do need to play in the dirt. I had a cousin whose little boy couldn't stand to be dirty. My Kids were always dirty. You couldn't keep them out of the dirt. People who garden are healthier too because of getting in the dirt.
@dragon54u (31617)
My parenting philosophy was that a dirty child is a happy child! Also a healthy one, apparently!
@deebomb (15323)
Nothing was more fun than making mud pies. And my kids loved it though I didn't care much for the clean up.
@GreenMoo (11842)
I think that plastic gloves, antibacterial sprays, and all those 'public hygiene protectors' that we use today actually encourage the user to be less hygienic that previously because they are lulled into a false sense of security. A server may not wash his or hands as often or as thoroughly because they reason that they'll be wearing gloves anyway, for instance. It also means that people aren't taught about the basics of food hygiene in the same way. The best general protector from germs is hot water, which is cheap, doesn't damage the environment or our health, and is easy to apply. Personally I think that the odd bit of dirt shouldn't hurt us. Unfortunately, we're so used to a sanitised environment that when we do get faced with germs our systems aren't used to it. I'm constantly surprised by the people who won't let their kids come into contact with animals, or won't wash different types of laundry together for instance, for fear of 'germs'. How do these people think that the human race managed to survive for so long without antibacterial spray? In a space bubble?
@dragon54u (31617)
Thanks you gave me a good laugh!
@GreenMoo (11842)
I aim to please :-)
I do think people are a little too health conscience these days and it has compromised some people immunes system. But also the germs today are bigger and badder than they were in the 70's. Since people built more immunities to these germs the germs adapted and became resistant. The same argument is used with sanitizers... you know they kill 99.9% of germs. Well the .01% survived and is more resistant. They then multiply and that percent of the resistant stains go up.
@dragon54u (31617)
Right, I think that in trying to help ourselves we have harmed ourselves. We tend to go too far one way or the other and it will be nice if things every get back to the middle point.
i don't know if it's that we're sicker.. or people are just more paranoid... altho.. i have to say.. i dig sneeze guards..
@dragon54u (31617)
I like the idea of the sneeze guards but people have to reach in pretty deeply to get to some things and particles from their sleeves can fall into the food. I don't like that idea. I do think people are unreasonably paranoid of germs--I like being protected from irresponsible people who go out in public restaurants when they're sick but I think we're too scared of germs and it's compromising our immune systems.
@MissAmie (720)
I wouldn't be grossed out by those standards of sanitation. I think we've definately made our immune systems weaker by keeping ourselves away from germs. I've read some magazine articles talking about kids that have pets are less likely to get asthma, kids that play in dirt don't get sick as often, etc... and I definnately believe it! Now don't get me wrong, I don't want the guy at McDonald's fingering my food, but I'm not going to go nuts if I see someone touch something, then touch food. Last summer I managed a pizza place for a little while and one day as I was teaching a girl to make pizzas her cell phone (clipped to her belt) beeped and she touched the corner of it to see who it was. Well, this lady standing at the counter flipped out because she didn't wash her hands after touching her phone. I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to say, "I don't see what the big deal is." but I also didn't want that woman to think that this girl's cell phone was all germy. I didn't really know what to say. I thanked her for bringing it to my attention and said little else. I always wash or use sanitizer if I smoke or touch my face or hair or, of course, go to the bathroom, but my phone?? That was a new one on me!
@dragon54u (31617)
That woman is probably sick a lot, which feeds her fear of germs that is responsible for her being sick so much--what a vicious circle! Did you know that even though it's a good idea to wash your hands after using the bathroom, urine is a sterile solution? That's right, there are NO germs or viruses in urine, you could irrigate a wound with it and get no infection. Hard to believe, isn't it?
@katran (590)
I absolutely think we are babying our immune systems too much these days. I have been drinking and eating after people all my life. I am probably the least germ-a-phobic person I know, but I am not sick that often. I have only had the flu once in my life. On a related note, my boyfriend's dad was telling me a story the other day about how when he was little he and his friends used to ride in the smoke behind the mosquito fogging trucks. You know what was in that fog? DDT and diesel. And you know what? He never got sick and he's still alive. We are so paranoid about getting sick these days, but it seems that overall our health is just getting worse.
@dragon54u (31617)
I think we're enjoying life less because we're so stressed about germs and such. And look at all the sick people! My mom wouldn't let us out for awhile if a truck with insecticide was spraying but other than that we had free rein. I think we worry about germs too much and our health suffers for it. My sons' friends were always sick, they rarely were. I let them play in the dirt, their friends weren't allowed to. Lots of stuff like that, at least I let them have a normal childhood and they're very healthy.
@coffeegurl (1470)
Holy Hell, I'd have to teleport to a different place in time. Can anyone say, "Unkosher"?
@dragon54u (31617)
We all survived. We didn't wear helmets when we rode our bikes, we'd be sent out to play every day while dad worked and mom took care of the house and made all three meals. After supper we'd play outside till it was dark, snitching berries off the neighbors' bushes or, if we were at the farm, picking wild strawberries and eating them on the spot in the same pasture that the cows grazed in. And we never gave it a second thought.
I also grew up back then. I can remember some of them things. But I wonder if some of the places that are opened today are any better. Look at how some of these fast food places are and how about the buffets, look at all the people that are sticking their arms and hands into the area in order to fix their own plate. I wouldn't even want to think about all the germs that are there.
@dragon54u (31617)
I have the same thought whenever I see the sneeze guards! We didn't have all these diseases back then, either, so maybe the guards are good but I do think folks are entirely too paranoid about germs.