A stitch in time...

Stitch - Ok it's not the same sort of stitch but hey!
@Humbug25 (12552)
I haven't swam in ages so it didn't surprise me that when I was swimming the other day I got a stitch. I guess I was swimming too fast!! It really hurt and took a while to pass. I wondered at the time what exactly caused the stitch and why we in fact call it a stitch. When was the last time you got a stitch? What were you doing when you got a stitch?
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Last time was probably when I was walking or hiking. No idea what causes it...
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hey there dawny!! Hurts doesn't it? I thought it was a good question and hope that someone out there knows and can satisfy my curiosity!! Cheers dawny!!
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, no fun at all. I remember in High School when we did the mile every so often. The one day I was getting tested on it, that was the day I got a stitch and had to slow down and walk. grrrrr...
@Humbug25 (12552)
I would love to know what exactly causes it and how to prevent it. Like if you knew you were going swimming or on a long run you could do what was necessary to avoid it!!
@kellyjeanne (1578)
I haven't had a stitch in years and from what I know about them they can be potentially fatal because there are times when getting a stitch can render the swimmer unable to move and therefore drown, depending on how serious the stitch is. I'm so glad to hear that this did not happen to you, my friend. I think what causes stitches is swimming too soon after eating or drinking. I think the standard wait time after eating or drinking is one hour before swimming. Take care, sweetie! Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hey there kellyjeanne I think you are thinking more about cramps!!! I always go swimming before lunch too because I don't want to get intergestion either!! Thanks for your response and concerns!!
@riyasam (16582)
you had me baffled for a while.i was not sure what stitch meant??i went through one of your responses.hope you are feeling better now.i do get a stitch,when i do the chores which include bending.
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi there riyasam Yeah it sure can creep up on you when you least expect it to!! Thanks riyasam
@cynthiann (18572)
• Jamaica
Oh, I haven't heard that expression in years. I suppose it is called that because it feels like a needle has been thrust into your side? I really don't know.I can't remember the last time I got a stitch but I certainly have a pain in my left b**t and really understand the significance of calling someone a pain in the b**t. I suppose it is a pinched nerve but when I turn in bed in can grab me and bring tears to my eyes. Maybe it is just a muscle cramp which you get if you move awkwardly or use a muscle that hasn't been used for a while. Good post
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi ya cynthiann Thanks I am glad you are enjoying my discussion I am just surprised that more people didn't respond, maybe I should have put it under knitting or arts and crafts LOL Thanks for your response
@aisaellis22 (6449)
Hello Humbug25! I remember I had a stitch when I was in highschool. We had our guava tree outside the house and I can see that there are many ripe guavas anymore. I climbed there and I slipped off and I got a big stitch on my leg. Thank God it's ok now.
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi ya aisaellis22 You mean you cut your leg? When I am referring to a stitch it is when you have been doing lots of running or swimming or something like that and then you get a stabbing like pain in your side and after a while it just goes away!! No blood or bandages needed!! Thanks for responding
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Humbug, being honest I haven't had a stitch in a long time..maybe I haven't exerted myself to get one!! hugs littleol
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hiya littleowl Well all I can say then is that you must be one of the fittest of the fit! Thanks for your response
@luvandpower (2049)
Never have, hopefully will never need one, try to stay away from those voodoo doctors!
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi ya luvandpower That's sounds like a good idea, thanks for the tip Cheers luv
@wolfie34 (26881)
Hello my friend, whenever I used to go swimming, and that wasn't often because I do find personally that swimming is a rather boring sport or even for leisure, especially when you go on your own, swimming up and down, and not being a strong swimmer it doesn't appeal to me, I used to get cramp in my legs! It used to worry me if I got halfway across and suddenly I got hit with the cramp and the only way is down! So it put me off, that is why I tend to spend my time at the gym on the cross trainer, treadmill, bike etc, I do get a stitch only when I run on the treadmill, that is why my favourite choice of machine is the cross trainer, great for exercising the whole body and no chance of drowning on it LOL!
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi wolfie34 That's funny because I am the opposite. I would prefer to go on my ow, I because then I don't get interrupted and can concentrate on getting the laps done. Each length that I do, I do a different stroke so that it doesn't become boring. I used to get cramp in my feet and my toes would screw up and that was painful. I wonder what can be done to prevent stitch though? Is is down to eating something too soon before exercising or what? Cheers wolfie
@aidenw (633)
hi humbug, i wasn't sure what you meant by 'stitch.' i thought you injured yourself and had to have it stitched, ouch! i then looked it up in the dictionary and one of the definitions is 'a sudden sharp pain especially in the intercostal muscles.' that's probably what you meant? it sounds painful too. i don't remember ever getting a stitch. hope you're fine now.
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hey aidenw Hahahahaha that's funny but I am sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. It is something that usually only lasts about 5 minutes or so and I think the quickest way to get rid of it is to breath deeply and slowly until the pain goes. I think you must be the only person I have ever come across who has never experienced this!! Well I hope you never do because it does hurt!! Thanks aiden
@Shar19 (8236)
When I was younger I used to always get a side stitch when we would have to run the mile in school. To this day I still get a side stitch whenever I run.
@Humbug25 (12552)
Hi ya Shar19 Yeah I used to get stitch a lot when I was a kid too as I was always rushing about all over the place! Thanks Shar