Grommet without Wallace!!

@Humbug25 (12551)
My middle son had an appointment at the local hospital last week for a hearing problem he has only to find out that he now needs to have an operation to have grommets put in. I read on the Internet that in Britain at least 1 in 3 primary school children go through this operation. I have never had them myself and I don't know of anyone in my family to have ever had them. Did you have grommets put in when you were a child? Has your child ever had grommets?
Both my lads had grommets put in. It helped both of them with their hearing problems. They had no repurcussions or problems with them. They were in and out of theatre in no time and up and running about within half an hour of returning to the ward!
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hello mummyofthree Yeah I have been told that he will be able to go back to school the next day! Mind you there is a 5 month waiting list so it might be during the school summer holidays!! At least I know it is going to be a quick in and quick out but I am not looking forward to it, bless him, he hasn't got a clue what's coming, I didn't want to worry him and will tell him nearer the time! Thanks mummy
It hurts us a lot more than it does them! When my middle lad went in I told him he would get a maic drink of milk that they put in through a special straw in his hand! I don't know if it will be the same for yours. He also took in a teddy that was ripped and that went down to surgery with him. When he woke up in recovery ted was their with him all neatly stitched up! So they both got fixed together!
@Humbug25 (12551)
Aww that's a sweet story!!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i'm not sure what grommets are. are they like tubes they put in children's ears. my grandson has those. they really help from him having earinfectios etc. i wish your son well.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya ANTIQUELADY Yes they are like a little tube they place in the inner ear. My son doesn't suffer from ear infections but is just a bit hard of hearing and I hope the grommets will sort that out. Thanks for your best wishes! Thanks ANTIQUE
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
sure hope they help him. take care.
@Barb42 (4217)
Are you talking about what we call tubes here in the states? If so, my son's older son has had more than I can count - and he'd have one ear infection after another. He hasn't had to have tubes in awhile, but he had an ear infection back in the early winter. Sometimes I wonder if they really help.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hello there Barb42 I am not sure what you call them in the states but it sounds about right. I really do hope the operation works as I don't fancy going through it numerous times! Thanks for your response
@Barb42 (4217)
Here's a description from an American site: "What are ventilation tubes? Ventilation tubes are tiny plastic tubes that are surgically inserted through the eardrum by an ear, nose, and throat surgeon. They are also called tympanostomy tubes because they are placed in the tympanic membrane, which is another term for the eardrum. Ventilation tubes drain fluid out of the middle ear space and ventilate the area with air. " http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/HealthAZ/Ear-Ventilation-Tubes.aspx?articleID=9082&categoryID= I read a site from England and they call them grommets OR tubes. And they look exactly like. A grommet reminds me of what we put in a shower curtain through which the hanger goes. Never associated them with tubes.
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
My child had a grommet operation when he was around five/six. We did not notice that he was finding it difficult to hear. He was a good lip reader that we really noticed that he had hearing problems when he was around five. He could not hear certain pitches of sounds. So he could hear my voice if I talked directly into his face. But he found it difficult to hear my wife's voice. The grommets operation was successful and his hearing improved immediatedly. At first your son will find it difficult to adapt to noises. So I would suggest keeping your voice low and other television sets and other noises. Until he gets adjusted to the new situation.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya ronalinu Well I think that would explain as to why sometimes he seems to hear me and other times he doesn't!! Thanks for the advice, he is booked in for the 17th April! Thanks ronaldinu
• Nepal
hi Humbug, sorry to ask to you, What is the grommets. Is it hear phone who couldn't hear properly due to ear problem. if it is that sorry to hear this problem. Be well your son sooooooon.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi there newuser_99 It is like a small tube that is placed in the inner ear allowing liquids in the ear to flow more easily helping the child to hear better and reduce the repercussion of ear infections! Thanks for your response
i did not have
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi there jiang1111chao Neither did I! Thanks for your response
• Egypt
NO, I don't think that's procedure is done here in Egypt. if it is than it's not really common. ^_^ Happy My lotting
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya agirlfromtomorrow Maybe in Egypt they have a different way of dealing with the problem. Thanks for your response
@rocketj1 (6960)
I think in the US we would call them tubes. Is this what you mean? Tubes for drainage of fluid? My son had many ear infections and yet he didn't require them but I know LOTS of kids here who do. I wonder why this is such a common procedure now. Maybe they are just more aware of what's going on with kids now. Maybe it was something ignored in the past.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya rocketj1 It would appear that this is what you call tubes in the States but I can't say I have ever come across what grommets are in 'American'. LOL . Half of me is looking forward to him having them because I know it will improve his hearing but I just don't like the idea of my little boy having to go through an operation. Thanks rocketj1
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Humbug, my son has a perforated eardrum from birth when he was young he had to wear grommets, it is a perfectly harmless operation and doesn't take long to do..my son is now 26 and doesn't need them though his hearing will never be perfect yet it is a good excuse to sometimes only hear what he wants to hear LOL...hugs littleowl
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi there littleowl That is comforting to know littleowl - thanks! Thank you for your response too
@p1kef1sh (45640)
My nephew had them put in when he was about 8/9 to drain fluid from his ear. They were a qualified success. They certainly made things easier for him and he suffered fewer bouts of tonsilitis. I think that they are absorbed by the body after so long. I am sure that your son will be fine. The alternative is a tap on the head!!!
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya p1kef1sh I am hoping that it is going to help my 5 year old's speech as well as his hearing. He speaks well but doesn't pronounce some words properly and I think it has been down to his hearing!! I am hopeful that the operation will be successful and proove to be worthwhile which I am sure it will be! Thanks p1key
@scorpio19 (1363)
Hi Humbug, I can understand you concern for your son but it is a very common operation in children. My children have never had this done but a couple of my friends children have and with very good results and it's improved their children's hearing. Good luck with your son, I know how worrying it is for a parent when your child needs an operation.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hello scorpio19 I know it will improve his quality of life but it is my middle son and he is so sensitive. If it was my eldest or even my youngest I wouldn't be so concerned, I'd still be concerned don't get me wrong, but they can really handle themselves but my middle son is a different kettle of fish and seems so vulnerable. Thanks for your response scorpio