Won't Be No Dog Fighting Around Here If I Can Help It!

Pit Bull - Dog
@Chevee (5915)
I went walking yesterday around the neighborhood for a little exercise, being out of work all I do is sit here on this computer. I am gaining weight and plus my medical conditions are getting worse. The ones that diet and exercise will help. Walking I saw a number of teenagers with puppy pit bull dogs walking on a leash. I passed one house and a pit bull was tied with a chain in the front yard. Looking out the window today I saw some more kids with a pit bull. I even saw my crazy old neighbor with a dog on a leash in his back yard today. If these people are raising these dogs to fight I will be contacting the authorities because I am an animal lover and I do not agree with dog fighting. I will be keeping my eyes and ears open this Spring and Summer to see what is going on with all these Pit Bull Puppies around here. Would you just mind your own business and let it go? Or would you stand up for the Pit Bulls in the neighborhood?
@mentalward (14695)
I doubt I'd worry about it at all unless I heard of something specific going on regarding those pit bulls. I've noticed people all my life... studied them, actually. I've noticed that the true animal lovers who own dogs don't usually have a pit bull, doberman, rottweiller, etc. The people who own dogs like these either want them for protection or for dog fights. I'm speaking generally here; there are exceptions to everything. If I were you, I'd probably keep an eye on things and make sure to keep my ears open, but I wouldn't worry about it unless something specific about dog fighting caught my eye or ear. Pit bulls just aren't the "warm fuzzies" we think of when we think of "pets". I can certainly see why you'd be concerned, with that many pit bulls around, but don't stress yourself out over something that might never happen. If you DO hear about dog fighting anywhere nearby, I'd definitely call the police or animal shelter about the dogs in the neighborhood, if I were you. If the dogs you've seen act very aggressively or appear wounded at any time, that's definite grounds for concern!
@MissAmie (720)
Please don't assume that because the dogs are pit bulls that they are bred for fighting. They are very sweet dogs and very gentle if raised right. BUT...if you get even a hint that there are dog fights going on you need to call the authorities immediately! Dog fighting is one of the most disgusting, inhumane things you can do. If anyone in your neighborhood is doing it they need to be punished to the full extent of the law.
@Chevee (5915)
I don't like to assume or judge people, some of the pups might be for breeding, but some of the peeps with the dogs, I know are not law abiding citizens and they are not the kind that would just take a dog for a nice walk for exercise, my neighbor is one of them. He is a habitual law breaker.
@Jshean20 (14367)
To an extent I would mind my own business but it doesn't really sound like your getting into people's business just by observiing, to me getting into someone elses business would mean that you're watching them all day every day and looking for anything wrong. I'm an animal lover myself and I say if you see something wrong definately report it, dog fighting isn't fair to the dog or the neighbourhood!
@twoey68 (13651)
I'd definately be keeping an eye on it and standing up for the dogs. I may not really like pit bulls but I don't want to see them mistreated either. You should also find out if there is a law in your town concerning pit bulls...some towns have bans against them or special regulations on keeping them. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS**[/b]
@camomom (7536)
I wouldn't assume that these people were raising them to fight just because they are pits. I would keep my eyes and ears open though. I love pits, they are actually very very sweet dogs. It's all in how they're raised. My mom has worked for veterinarians for years and years and we have never met a mean pit, ever.
In Canada u must have your Pit reg. with police, muzzled when walking anywhere, $1,000,000.00 Libility Ins. If it is a young puppy less than a year old u r in doddo knee deep. u r not allowed to own it in mst areas, only because some people r meatheads and don't know how to train their dogs or walk them on a leash..Now the breed has to suffer because of meatheads, I have a better word but can't print it..
my daughter has pits.they are some of the nicest dog i know.i have four dogs myself that are not pits. if you treat a pit with kindness and loving they are like all other animals.they will return it with loving.it is the owners not the pits that should be blamed.
Sure, if you really thought they were using the dogs for fighting, then you should absolutely inform the police. A lot of people have pit bulls, just because they like them, though, or like the status of having a tough-looking dog, even if they don't fight them. I would definatly keep an eye and ear out though, dog fighting is not only cruel, it also attracts a lot of other undesireable activity along with it.
@cripfemme (7715)
I would say and do something. To many people don't do anything when they see something wrong. That's what's wrong with society.
@fwidman (11515)
We have some kids in the area with pit bulls, and I have seen them mistreat it and I yell at them to knock it off. Those dogs get a bad rap already, there's no need to raise them for fighting
@sudalunts (5526)
If I knew of such a thing, I think I would report it. I feel so sorry for these dogs, some people assume just because they are pit bulls they are evil vicious dogs. People make them that way. So if in fact these people are raising these dogs for unlawful uses, they should be reported. My husband's son has a pit bull, and he is such a sweet dog, he loves people and loves to play on the beach.
Hi Chevee, It looks strane as eveydog you saw were pitt bulls so I think yes you are right, they are using it for fighting, this is very cruel and its against the law and if the dogs are train for this purpose and can attack a person, then what happens? the dog get put down, its just not fair on the dogs, so please keep an eye out for the poor dogs, and why are they chain out in the garden, if they are a family's pet, now that is sus. Hugs. Tamara xxx