Why the colour of the black box is not black ?

@krajibg (11942)
Guwahati, India
In aviation the instrument that is used to record the cockpit voice and flight data is called 'black box', but its colour is not black. Why this is so? Will any one elaborate this?
@mobhomeir (7567)
Ohh I never knew that! I know what black box's usage in an airplane. That would only comes up when there would be a plane disasters. But I am sorry I never knew that. Well at least you gave me an info about it..thanks anyway friend..
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Still it is ok. Even me too did not know before that the colour of a 'black box' is bright orange. It is because this colour is distinct from the rest therefore they used this. Thanks for the response dear friend. Have a great time ...
@mobhomeir (7567)
Yes..thanks..now I know already the color of black box use by aeronautics is "bright orange" ...have a nice day too my friend..
@underdogtoo (9601)
A black box refers not only to the flight data recorder but to a number of other things. It is a term which means that the inner workings are not known except to those who made them. Cheers!!
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Really? but would you please explain you second sentence a bit more elaborately. It went above my head...
It simply means the user does not need to know how it works.
I guess it is not black so that it would be easy to find it amidst all the other instruments and whenever everything around is charred. It is colored bright orange. For more information: http://science.howstuffworks.com/black-box8.htm
I agree - I've always thought it was orange so it could be located easily.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
yes, it is for the convenience of the rescue team to locate the instrument from amidst the ruin its colour is not black and orange rather. thanks for the response.
@mykmari_08 (2466)
Foremost, I have to admit that I don't really know the answer to this particular question of yours. But just like you, I do have similar queries such as: 1. Why is the blackboard called black, when it usually is color green? 2. Why is a person said to have a 'green thumb' when his thumb isn't green? 3. A baby blue doesn't literally turn blue? 4. A blue book is usually green? 5. Has anyone seen a 'white' lie? Well, I could go on and on regarding this topic; and I think a lot of people would consider me stupid. But come to think of it; some things in this world do have weird names or are called differently than they look like. Anyway, I'm personally quite interested in knowing the origins of these things or how they got their names. They call it etymology if I'm not mistaken. Always keep your thinking caps on and regards.
black box is supposed to survive blasts and fires. if it were black it would absorb heat and get destroyed easily what say
@satyakam (1112)
All of the black boxes are painted bright orange with large letters "FLIGHT RECORDER DO NOT OPEN" I believe the terminology of black box orients from its actual purpose in the flight, ie: "The Black Box that contains the secrets of why the aircraft crashed" "The flight data recorder (FDR) or Black Box (also ADR, for Accident Data Recorder) is a flight recorder used to record specific aircraft performance parameters. A separate device is the cockpit voice recorder (CVR), although some versions (including the original) combine both in one unit. Popularly known as the black box used for aircraft mishap analysis, the FDR is also used to study air safety issues, material degradation, and jet engine performance. These ICAO regulated "black box" devices are often used as an aid in investigating aircraft mishaps, and its recovery is second only in importance to the recovery of survivors and victims' bodies. The device's shroud is usually painted bright orange and generally located in the tail section of the aircraft. It is also designed to withstand intense heat and pressure." Source and further information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_data_recorder
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
You are correct. Thanks for the elaborate response.
@scorpio19 (1363)
Thank you krajibg for best response.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Its my pleasure. In fact you deserved it. I usually do not choose the BR on the basis of who is more close but on the merit, the way one presents the whole lot.