I just now cooked french fries at home

@sharay (2776)
i just took some potatoes, cut them and put them in oil, fried them and seasoned them with salt and pepper, it tasted very much like the french fries that we eat outside, it was even very tasty to eat them without seasoning
@happymommy3 (2013)
That actually sounds very good, although it's still morning over here so that would be too early for me to be eating french fries, lol. I've always wanted to make my own homemade french fries but I'm afraid of them not turning out good, maybe either being not soft enough or just too greasy. How did you cut your potatoes, thick or thin? I've thought about baking them. I've seen alot of recipes around where you can season them and then stick them in the oven. Have you tried that before?
@sharay (2776)
i had fears like you, this is the first time i made FF at home, it was really good, i cut them quite thinner than the usual ones, the thicker ones are soft adn juicy and the thinner are crispy, try them as i said first, its so simple, even i thought of baking them, but it would have spoiled the taste i guess
Great, I will definitely have to try them out. Crispy sounds so good, but so do the other ones. I'll have to expirement with them both. Thanks so much!
@bamakelly (5194)
It sure is good. I think that sometimes things that are made at home are better. I have had them cut and fried at home in oil and they seem so much better than the store bought frozen fries. I bet that saves money too just to make them at home.
@aweins (4203)
hi sharay , my dear friend, most of the time my hubby wanna like to eat that type of potatoes s i also make that very often. no for a change i while rying add cumin seeds, smetimes garlic, because he likes garlic flavour a lot. other time when ever i make ffrench fries i first cut them in a finelong pattern like french fries are cut, then put them to boil, a slight boil, strain and then fry. the taste just like proer french friies. i love tomake ppoato wedges too. my family and me are potato lovers.
@sharay (2776)
even i use cumin powder along with pepper powder sometimes, does boiling make the taste differ?
@aweins (4203)
hi dear friend, boiliing ever makes the taste change. because i dont boil them ful, i boil them very slightly. thanks a lot for selecting my response as the best.
@StarBright (2799)
To me the home cooked fries are better. I cut them like steak fries (a little thicker). The family gets them hot. And, we don't need all that salt. AND....they cost so much less. So it's a good deal all the way around. Try making burgers to go with them. You will cut out fast food completely. If you find you really enjoy eating at home, you may want to invest in a George Foreman cooker and a deep fryer. They can make your life so simple, you will wonder how you ever lived without them. Next, try making your own shakes at home. Delicous and healthy. mmmmmmm good.
@sharay (2776)
really...i will defntly try them all at home, this was my first time trying FF and that turning out well is going to make me cook more new recipes hereafter
@bamakelly (5194)
The home made french fries taste very good. The idea of steak fries seems even better that is for sure. It just seems that cooking them in the hot oil brings the flavor out in them. I also like to add a lot of salt to them. They are good once in a while when you are in the mood.
@peavey (16866)
I make french fries, but not as often as I used to. If you ever get of potatoes on sale or otherwise happen to have a lot of them, you can fry them for just a few minutes, drain the oil and freeze them, then cook them like you would store bought frozen french fries.
@sharay (2776)
oh...ok thanks for that information
@lilybug (21148)
I love homemade french fries. I don't make them very often because I would keep on eating them, but they are really good. My grandma's secret was to cook them in half oil and half margarine. They taste even better that way.
@sharay (2776)
oh...actually even normally we have to cook it once then take them out, keep them out for a while and then cook again in the same oil
@ljbinkop (744)
I do like the idea of making my own french fries, but I have never been successful at them! I don't know if I make them too thick, or if I don't use the right kind of oil, but they have never been as good as even frozen fries! I did try making a Rachel Ray recipe once that had potato wedges that were seasoned and then BAKED in the oven, and they came out VERY well. I think I will make them again, maybe even tonight!
@sharay (2776)
i hope oil does not make much of a difference, i used corn oil...anyways, try them tonight in the simple way that i said, let the cut be of meedium size and tell me how it went
@reinydawn (11649)
I love home-made french fries. They're great in peanut oil!
@sharay (2776)
is it...il try it with peanut oil next time
@bdugas (3581)
Homemade fries are so much better than the ones you get in the resturants, that is how we make ours. And a lot cheaper, sometimes I bake mine. There is some stuff in the spice aisle at the grocery here called Tony Seasoning, it is in a green can, sprinkle some of that on them before frying and see the difference. But then I don't know where you are so maybe not have it. I love fries, I was in a used store, like (goodwill) just browsing the other day and found a small deep frier, just right for one or two people for only a couple bucks and it was new never used, I love it to drop in a handful of fries, or chicken nuggets to go with them.
@KUSHANK55 (2437)
well good enough!1 happy cooking and eating!! happy mylotting!!