Recent news about the Australian fires

@mentalward (14695)
Our friend, PUCCIH, formerly known as HICCUP, has asked me to post a discussion with this link to one of the many stories regarding the recent horrendous fires that destroyed so much! http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/bushfires/human-face.htm Some of the photos in this link are simply heartbreaking! I put this disaster right up there with our own 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina disasters. The impact has been felt around the globe. It has made front-page news here in the U.S. and I'm sure it has reached the farthest corners of our planet. But, since PUCCIH does not have 500 posts in his account here, he's asked me to post that link to share just a portion of the devastation and also some heart wrenching stories. We should all care about what happens to our neighbors, no matter where they are located on this planet we call "home".
@pergammano (7755)
lThank you for sharing the link! This is something that has been forefront in my mind for days....at the same time wondering if there was a way, the rest of the world could make a difference! And the thing that saddens me, is that I do not see the rest of the world rallying with aid! Australia has stood beside the Western World, time immemorial, they still have troops in Iraq. Do they have to ask for help in this devastation...Where is Canada...Where is the US? I know we are all suffering from the economic crisis...but Australia is suffering TOTAL devastation! When the US has "wildfires"...Canada sends their "world famous" Martin Mars Water Bombers..and their elitist Firefighters...why are we not front & center in Australia? None of North America is offering support! Thank you for raising awareness with this post....I crumbled into a heap when I saw the little Koala bear drinking from the water bottle, he had survived, but with feet badly burnt...a simple symbol of the pain & devastation! It's Valentine's Day....let us send our "heartfelt" sorrow for our truly wonderful neighbours! And Happy Valentine's Day to you!
When US has forest fires, it is just across the border. Australia is just the other side of the world. Canada cannot transport its own military equipment overseas, it has to rent airplanes or hitch a ride. Getting short range airplanes is logistically impossible. I am sure Red Cross would take donations of cash for disaster relief. How about all those countries that were hit with the Tsunami in that area of the world return the aid favours. My sympathies for this devastation, I heard up in Queensland they were getting floods. The problem with Australia is that wild fires are a natural phenomenum that have been going on for thousands of years. Modern structures are not built to withstand such devastation. I understand that some of the fires were deliberately set too, resulting in more deaths. I hope you can catch the perpetrators and put them away.
My understanding from the news, is that they have apprehended NOT ONE but TWO arsonists...so far! One that lived near a town that he set the fire in! I am, like you, mentalward, NOT normally an "eye for an eye" type of person...but for this heinous set of crimes...I think it shud be a slow burning fire, with ONE limb at a time being turned to ashes! I am terrible...as this will NOT bring back all those precious lives and the soooo innocent wildlife! And all of the suffering! On the early news last nite, it said that the oppressive heat & high winds are returning...these folks can take no more! And as I said before, where are we Canada....and to answer the question of travel to aid.....Somehow we have troops all in Afghanistan, Iraq...and they didn't get there walking on water! Shouldn't we be supporting disaster..NOT WAR?
@chertsy (3805)
If I know the military, they will be going over there to help. Before we can go over there, we have to be requested to go. Meaning Australia has to ask for our help. We should be sending our two hospital ships over there, so injured people will be sent there to be treated. Also, our ships will make fresh drinking water, and supply food to anyone that needs it. Our military has to follow strict guidelines, hopefully it will go smoothly for us to go and help.
@hopejordan (3566)
hi there mentalward i know its terrible with these fires i am about 40 minutes drive from there but there was another one in melbourene some where but i was not sure where. take care happy mylotting
I think I can speak for all of us at myLot...we all pray that you remain safe, and our thoughts are with you and yours in these "unbelievable" times!
@littleowl (7157)
Hi MW thanks for the link, at the moment I will not be able to see it until I have posted this too you so will get back to you on it..hugs littleowl
@Chevee (5915)
I am looking at this on the news as I read this discussion. They are saying that they believe that have some suspects in those fires but no charges has been filed against them. The have found some signs of a camp fire. It is nice of you to help our MyLot friend Puccih out with this discussion. And I agree these disaster does affect everyone everywhere.
@TLChimes (4842)
It's horrid and my heart goes out to the humans and animals that have lost so much.
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey mentalward~! My heart goes out to all our Australian friends and I hope that they are all safe and well and that their families are safe also. It breaks my heart to see this devastation that they have gone through. I also hope that we will hear from our friends that we haven't yet heard from. Another mylotter, Sconibear started a discussion asking that our Australian friends let us know that you are all alright! We are very concerned about you and would like you to hear from all of you. And to you HICCUP, I am truly sorry that your homeland has been so badly "hurt". We here in the USA feel your pain and want to help. So if there are ways that we can help, places to make donations, etc. please let us know and we will get the word out. I live in NYS and we surely know what it's like to be hurting and need help!
@crazydaisy (3899)
I really feel sorry for the people over there... it's so sad, I wish I could do something for them. Economy wise, we're all in deep doodoo. I'd help if my pocketbook would allow it. cd
@winterose (39918)
thanks so much for the update, it is really horrible, I know.
@1corner (744)
Please extend my condolences to our Australian members here. I've been hearing/seeing relentless news here on how the fire's affected a lot of folks down there. Even sadder to hear it was all caused by arson. Take care!
@Thoroughrob (11750)
It is heartbreaking. It is so sad seeing so much destroyed and it would be very scary also. I cannot imagine. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.
@savak03 (6681)
Our hearts go out to the people of Australia. Fire is a devastating disaster that affects everyone without regard for rank or privilege. It is good of you that you posted these pictures for those of us who have been blessed by not having to endur this personally.
@chertsy (3805)
I read that these fires were caused on purpose. My question is have they caught the person responsible and if not, are they close to. That is what irritates me the most, how can someone do something like this. They are not destroying just land, they are destroying the homes of animals and people. People and animals lives are lost because of this. I read that a entire town, along with everyone in it was wiped out. The only picture I actually seen of the fires is the news about the town, and the famous one of the Kola bear drinking from a water bottle from a fire fighter. My prayers are with the people in Australia, the firefighters and the animals. I also wonder if any of the National Guard units that is not deployed, being sent to help. I hope they will be, because Australia needs all the help they can get.
@chertsy (3805)
I'm happy to hear that Sam is being taken care of. That picture is one of those that will stick with everyone as a reminder of this. Even after the fires are gone, and everything has grown back to it's full luster.
@ahgong (10066)
I have heard loads about the bush fires on the news. And the authorities are suspecting that arsonists are the ones starting the fires. Already two has been arrested pending investigations, rite? Have they confirmed that they are the ones who started the fires? Any reports on why the fires were started? Mischief? Revenge?
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi Marti! I have thought of those poor people Australia and wish I were nearby to help however, they are continuously in my thoughts and prayers since there's nothing I can do at least I can do that. I know just how they're feeling too because I've been through 5 fires in my lifetime and there's no fun going through such horrible pain. I did see some of the pictures but I had to stop after seeing a few because it's too close to home. May God give them the strength to carry on!!