Which is better for you? Living in a apartment building or private house?

I just moved into a building. 10 floors high and 11 apartments per floor. I can't imagine telling you the storys. They are so noisey, not to mention stumping over my head. we have to take our garbage to a shoot on each floor. People just drop the trash by the shoot. Just nasty I say. They piss in the stairway as well as on the elevators. Living in an apartment I had problems with heat. So I can't complain there. Plus I have to hide my washing machine here. I have to pad the floor good so it won't make noise. Plus I have the sides wrapped in movers cloth. So its so silent now. So which is better for you. I don't mean the ones who own their homes.
@Lore2009 (7388)
I hated living in an apartment. It's too controlled because many people live there and it's worse when you buy a lot of groceries and your parking spot is far from your room.
That is one of my biggest problem. I am on the 4th floor and I have to go to get my shopping cart.
@Lore2009 (7388)
Oh man... I feel sorry for you! I think having your own private building gives you much more freedom! Too bad it's so expensive... but freedom comes with a price, they say.
@Jae2619 (1484)
Wow, sounds like you have a lot to put up with. I have lived in both, and I must say living in a private house is so much better. You have your own privacy, you don't have to worry about the people below you thinking your an elephant walking on the floor, and you don't have to think the same of the ones above you. I lived in a place that the walls were paper thin, you could hear everything that went on next door, it just drove me nuts. I always felt I had to whisper, I was so much more happier moving in to a private place.
I have to whisper here as well. You can hear everything from the front door..
@blink182m (182)
Living in a private house is way better than living in a apartment. In a private house you'll live in privacy without anyone bothering you while in an apartment sometimes they are over crowded. So, its better to live in a private house.
Yes you have a good point here.
@eaforeman6 (8983)
I live in a very nice apartment. I dont have any problems. I like it because there are no tax's and no repairs. The utilities are cheaper and I dont have all the extra work and exspenses of the yardwork and all of that. I cannot afford to pay out all the money that it would take to keep a home up correctly. There are alot of rules here and people cant stay here if they break them. They won't allow that type of conduct.
@kraven2 (21)
• Netherlands
Having lived in both I can safely say that a privatehouse is the way to go. In fact I moved out of the city all together. I now live in a rented house in the countryside and it's so delisciously quiet. Now when I turn of the lights at night the dark is realy silent. No cars driving by, or people coming or going from their homes. First neigbours are almost half a mile away so I can make as much noise as I like without getting complaints. Go private if you have the oportunity.
@Ratris (79)
This is nice question. For me build a private house is the choosen.Because I can stay there, I have privacy although there are neighbour. I can do all I want.I can sleep all day long, or I can eat. I can play on music with high volume. Nobody can stop me and angry with me. The rule can be tolerant. Seem so easy and funny. Maybe in apartment there many rules and situation is noisy, like you said. Happy lottting
@1corner (744)
Who'd turn down the chance to live in their own home, if given one? lol I've had both experiences. Living in your OWN place is 100% better than renting, of course. No landlord harassing you for rent (if you get late), noisy/nosy/unpleasant neighbors, having to share laundry facilities, etc. Of course, you do get other problems with owning, i.e. property taxes, maintenance, etc.
@Christoph56 (1508)
I have the best of both worlds. I live in a Sixplex, and my place is on the top 2 floors of the south-west corner of the building. Theres nobody above me, and the walls are so thick that it's tough to hear anyone on the sides of me, either. I have my own laundry, and the garbage is in a big container at the back of the building, so I can bring out garbage anytime, and it doesn't smell anything up. The benefits of having other people here, too, is that I'm higher then the ground floor, so I have a nice view from my balconies, and since theres only a few people here, and we have strata meetings together for the building, I know my neighbors fairly well, too. They're interesting people, old and young, from different parts of the world. The place isn't too big and crazy like giant apartment buildings, but it's not tiny and closed off like a inexpensive private home. I really like this place.
@FDBrister (115)
I've lived in many apartments and only a few houses, I can tell you that living in a private house is far better than living in an apartment. I live in a house now and we have no nosy neighbors (which was a big problem where we last lived), no noisy neighbors, I don't have to worry about my children disturbing anyone. Living in a house is fantastic, living in an apartment can be miserable.
@mikeysmom (2092)
i think living in a private home is bette for many reasons. first of all for privacy reasons. second of all you do not have to worry about having noisy neighbors above or below you and you do not have to walk on egg shells worrying about whether or not you are being too noisy. thirdly it is nice to know that one day you can possibly own what you are paying for each month. with renting you are getting nothing more than a place to live each month with nothing to show for it. the downside to having your own home is that if something breaks you have to fix/replace it at your expense but in an apartment it is the land lords responsibility. another draw back to living in an apartment is have a less than ethical land lord who may not give you your deposit back when you move out even if there is no good reason. i hated rented and i am glad i own now.
I would prefer to live in a private house. I couldn't stand living in such a noisy environment. I am so glad we were able to acquire our own house that I haven't encountered such living situation. I have always loved our house even if it is not yet fully furnished and needs much renovation because I can do whatever I want without thinking of what others will say.
I stay in my private house that is only best for me. Staying in some apartments is always a problem as every one will be watching us when ever we come and go and well we cannot stay as we like we need to follow some rules of the apartment and also there is no silence.
@dfollin (12912)
I don't understand,why can't you complain about your heat? Which is better for me? Well,it depends on which apartments they are and what kind of rules that they have.The past 4 years I have rented houses from individual owners and they have got me in a real bad situation.Because they refused to make the repairs I had to pay for them myself or had to pay higher utilities.Therefore I could not pay the full rent amount and had to move out and now my credit is bad.Some apartments that I lived in have been ok to live in,But from what I have experienced it is better to own or live long term in a hotel.
@mermaidivy (15410)
I like houses, I only lived in apartment for couple months when I was a baby. When you have your own house, you can do stuff that you wnat like decorations and stuff.
@twinklee (895)
living n apartments can sometimes be pathetic......u wudnt have done nythng & yo neighbors start rollin yo hesd over & leads 2 heated agruments.....u can live independent.....ther s lways some one u need 2 watch on for.....water is the big problem.....
i like to be in a private house..if you are in the apartment ..we will have so many disturbance as said...it would be nice like in a private house ,where you have apartment near by so that you can make many friends...happy myloting and have a nice day..
I prefer a private house. in my country living in an apartment are still only for those who are rich enough and the apartment are only available in a big city. I've been living in apartment during my job training abroad and it is terrible. Everybody keep complaining about the noise, the way we hang our clothes to dry etc etc.... Not to mention I feel scared if I have to share the elevators with somebody I dont know, especially at night time. Living in a private house is much more comfortable...
@ddfreedie (690)
i think ive a mixed responce..each has its own pros and cons...when it comes to apartments thers no privacy but the security is quite good....but its the vice versa in individual house....so it naturally depends on individuals...but i prefer apartments....
@22angel22 (451)
Personally I never move into an apartment or even in the town. My husband and I are looking for a house with at least 2 acres, but we really want like 20acres. We have two large dogs that out weigh me by alot and we can't have them in apartments and we need to have room for them to roam. At the moment we live in a higher end neighborhood and I hate it, so does he.
@borgborg (821)
It's really hard living in the same space with people that are not conscious about others especially when you yourself is doing your part not to upset them. Saying that, if I'll be having my own place I would want a private house. I want to have my privacy and I don't think I'll be having that if I live on the same building with others.