Are you an unwitting tax fraud in the US?

@nanajanet (4437)
I have been audited and it stinks and learned a few things from it but there are some new laws now that I just learned about. First, you used to be able to claim up to $100, out of pocket, deductions for charities, because we all drop money in the collection plate, collection cans at stores, and money to the bell-ringers at holiday time. Now we have to go up and ask for a receipt, if we wish to deduct that. One of two things will happen... either people will stop putting money in those or will just lose the deduction. I will not stop putting my money in, so I guess that I will lose the deduction. Check out this http://www.walletpop.com/taxes/smartmoney/are-you-an-unwitting-tax-cheat#cmntbgn, but turn off your pop up blocker for that page.
@olivemai (4738)
That does stink! A receipt can be given but in church? I do not think they used to give receipts.
• Abbotsford, Wisconsin
Yes, I was surprised to learn about this as well. When I was ordained as a minister in year 2001 is when I learned about.. How we have to write down the names and amounts of everyone that donated, and give them a reciept... and then file it with the headquarters and something else.. I however never went on to pursue founding an actually ministry in non profit status as we do not accept or do anything with money or donations this includes items too... - DNatureofDTrain
@Bethany1202 (3434)
Good info. Another way to get around that is to send checks for the donations. If you are unable to get a receipt for the total donations at the end of the year, go to your bank and ask if they can give you free copies of your checks for that year in the amounts you donated to charity. I used that last tax season when I was unable to obtain a receipt. Thankfully, the organizations all sent me receipts this year so I could use them instead.
@nanajanet (4437)
You do not need copies of the checks to claim it. Only if you are audited. My bank makes copies of each check right on my statement and most banks now post them on line. It is the little, out of pocket things, like the collection jars, that I always put money in. Before, I could claim that. Now I cannot. It will not stop me but that stinks.
@ronaldinu (12454)
• Malta
Hey nanajanet. I hope that your tax audit went well.
@nanajanet (4437)
It was quite a few years ago but very stressful and I had to take time to go forty minutes away, several times. My tax accountant picked me up and went with me, as they are supposed to, but like we both did not have anything better to do. Go after the big cheats, not people who make a mistake on a few bucks. GRRR. Thanks.