Are you free from superstitions?

@krajibg (11942)
Guwahati, India
This is an irony that though we are in the post modern era we are not yet free from superstition or say wrong belief. Science has taught us over and again that no human being can be a witch but many women and men are being killed only because they are labeled black art practitioners and best thing would be to do away with them. We still believe in the 'Spirit'. You feel uneasy when you see a single magpie, you are nervous with the number 13, you are scared of the dark and the red eye and so and so forth. The greatest paradox is that we are brave at day time and in front of a public but back in the mind are being constantly haunted and nagged by an unknown fear, an unknown shadow. Why this double standard? If have the guts declare that you believe in the existence of ghost and therefore you are afraid of such and such thing. Do not you feel pity that you have lived one fourth of your life in fear of the unseen. You preach against superstition but you are not free from this yourself. Is not it so ludicrous? Just let us discuss if at all you are free from these superstitions.
@zandi458 (27953)
Superstitions and supernatural being is a complicated subject to understand. Science might have taught us a lot of technical things which the modern men has discovered but do not be alarmed black magic and the practice of superstitions is still very much alive in this part of the world where I live. If the medical field can't find a cure for certain illness they sought the services of those claiming to have supernatural power and they found an instant cure. How do you explain that?
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
You wont believe this. Even a medical practitioner I have seen going to the soothsayer or one who is renown as a healer of all ills. What I feel you know these people play sort of mind game. For psychology is a great factor. Unknowingly though you are inclined towards that realm of unknown and unseen. And therefore perhaps your illness gets cured in their hand. This is the faith.
@neha2k94u (408)
Well, I am very much Superstitious about numbers, I hate the number 2. Always it causes some kind of problem to me. I want to keep away with people with their b'days on 2, 11, 20, 29.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Look my friend these are in you mind more than in the reality. If these have not caused any problem to me why should they to you? Try to deviate from these thoughts and hope you over come them. Thanks for responding.
I support Van Helsing's explanation in Dracula. Man has tried to deny the existance of the paranormal, unexplained, etc by science, and thus allowed the beast to run free. To me, we don't have to live in fear of spirits, or what not but we should try to understand them, and admit they exist. I can't say that much spooks me anymore, but I think that's because of my own personal beliefs. I won't say that the hairs don't stand up, but I don't go running like a mad woman or start screaming. I've never been nervous of the number 13 because it's a lucky number. It was only bastardized after the Crusades. When I see a crow I thank it for coming by. When the Beanshide wails, I simply mourn. Namaste-Anora
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Namaste Anora, so nicely narrated the entire concept. Its nice I have seen here people do not hide. As you and Paula and many other admitted that they were not free from this. And I saw you are a bit different that though you believe n them you do not panic, right? Me too when I see a single magpie or if it is no 13 I take it lightly for my only son who will be 7 this year on March 13 is a lucky baby for me. Rather he had brought lots of good luck for me. Thanks for sharing....Namaste jee.
Exactly, while I believe, I do not panic or get upset. It's just things that are a part of life. I hope your son has a wonderful birthday. Our son was born on the 13 as well, but of August. Namaste-Anora
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
wow its great. What a coincidence! unbelievable. Well I will surely remeber themonth to wish your son. Namaste Anora.
@jshekhar (1563)
I used to be a lot superstitious when I was a child but not now. And I have NEVER had the fear for no. 13 or Friday, the 13th or something like that. Here in India, they say that if a Black Cat crosses your way, you must wait for someone else to cross it first, as it brings bad luck to the person who crosses it first. I used to be superstitious about other things, such as doing something with the right or left hand or foot, and a lot of other funny things. I think English countries are a lot more superstitious.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Congrats my friend. even I do not believe in the cat's crossing the road. Everyday I ride 60 KM on my bike and have so many times cats crossed my road but have not met any of such incident. Thanks a lot for your response.
The only superstition I believe in (if you can even call this a "superstition") is of karmic retribution. I also believe in the whole theory that "what comes around goes around" & to "treat others like you would want to be treated" (or whatever that saying is). I personally don't follow those crazy superstitions (like trying not to break a mirror, walk under a ladder, and so on..) It might be because I learned from my parents to disregard those types of things.
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Hi Maezee! thats great. And what you said as superstitions they are not ones. Nut I must congratulate you if you really are out of those grooves.
@sharay (2778)
I know superstitious believes are irriational and against laws of nature, but i feel like there is some bad element around us although havent witnessed any, that must be because of the things we hear from people around us i guess, i do want to not hold to it and believe it, but i am kind of in a state of dilemma...as i was reading thru your post, i found myself stupid but again at the end of the day, i am sort of back to square one...donno where from the fear grips me, in fact my hubby is just the opposite to me, he has tried to explain me so many times, but that just seems to pass from one ear thru the other and out
@krajibg (11942)
• Guwahati, India
Hi Sharay! you have put up your state very nicely. This is not your fault,but this is the fault of the psychology I guess. The fear element has so rightly gripped you that even if you try to come out of it, you are not allowed and at the enc of the day you are the same person again, scared, timid but without strong reason to support either. Most of them I guess, you received through your mother or the elder relatives when you are still a growing individual. Now you feel it too difficult to shake off. thanks for responding.