2 months later it's $40 cheaper!

I bought my husband a leather jacket for Christmas. I thought it was reasonably priced at $100 when I purchased it for Christmas. He's been using it for work, and it's gotten a bit banged up already, there's a couple small scratches in it because the work he does is very strenuous. He feels badly about the shape of his coat now, and won't wear it to work anymore. Today while I was out and about I saw the same coat, and now it costs only $60!! So, I decided to buy it. I couldn't pass it up at that price! Now he can continue to use the one he's banging up for work, and he'll have the new one to wear whenever he's not at work! Have you ever seen something you bought before Christmas at a huge discount after Christmas?
@ersmommy1 (12600)
$100 is a good price on that. But $60 is unbeatable! I think I may have done the same thing. Makes good sense, one for work, one kept nice.Never found that kind of after Christmas deal. At least not yet.
@dfollin (12734)
I agree,it's just irritating that they do that.
A few weeks ago the jacket was $70 and I came home and told him how angry I was about the price drop, but I couldn't afford the extra $70 that day. But this week I have some extra money, and figured why not? Now if it drops to $50 I'm really gonna be mad!
I'm a frugalista and I have a habit of buying at after Christmas sales for the next Christmas. I also buy all year round and tuck it away when I find it on sale. I keep a list of what I bought for whom so I don't forget and buy another gift. This way I am able to get something for all of our family and not get hit with a big expense at Christmas. I have however seen items drastically reduced after Christmas or go up in price right before Christmas!
That's a great idea, and I always say I'm going to start doing that, but haven't really begun yet. Of course I have 5 small children, so the chances of them finding and destroying whatever I buy is pretty good, it's hard to keep anything in this house. Plus we're moving soon, so I don't want to buy more stuff, that's just more crap to move!
My kids are famous for finding stuff that they shouldn't. So I have my mom store it for me in her spare room. This way their Christmas presents are safe and they don't find out about them.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
No I haven't noticed but I have noticed that you are a good person and a loving wife and mother.
You're too kind Cynthiann.
@gemini_rose (16193)
This is what annoys me about christmas, just before christmas I notice the price of things goes up one of the reasons I usually start my shopping early and then as soon as christmas is over the prices drop. But it is a good idea what you did one for work and one for best.
There are some things that are ridiculously cheap just before Christmas, and then some that are cheaper after Christmas. For me, I don't usually shop for a particular thing regardless of the price... I tend to look for things reasonably priced that someone in the family will like.
This happens all the time. I recall reading several articles online that suggested actually taking the reciept back to the store to prove what the price was and that you are demanding a refund of the difference. A lot of stores have no choice but to refund the difference because many people will just end up bringing the item back and returning it and then buying the cheaper one anyway.
I probably wouldn't go through that much trouble unless it was a significant savings.
@lilybug (21148)
Isn't that the way it always is? At Walmart after Christmas they clearanced a lot of the toys that they normally don't carry, so you can get some good deals then. This one Tigger toy I didn't get my daughter for $20 for Christmas was $7 by her birthday last month.
My youngest has a birthday in January, and I too bought him some gifts off the clearance rack. An outfit that was marked way down and a toy that was originally like $30 marked down to about $10.
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey kats! Now that sounds like something I would have done! That's a great deal! I love to get stuff with a huge savings even if it's something that I have already purchased! And in your case since your husband loved the jacket I would have bought it too so he could continue to wear the jacket to work and not feel bad about and still have the other one that looked nice! I buy 2 of alot of things that I like, if they aren't too expensive and I can afford it! I do that alot with jeans and shoes! If they are on sale and I really love them and I know that I will wear them out fast I'd rather have 2!
Not a bad idea. This is probably the first time I've ever bought double of the same thing. Usually it's not replaced until after it's been thrown out because it's so destroyed.
@dfollin (12734)
That is so irritating! I have bought things as a Christmas present and have even seen them at a lower price at the same store the day after Christmas.Ugh!
The price of this has been slowly going down over the last few months. A couple weeks ago it was $70, now it's $60. I don't see it going any lower than that.
@cher913 (25890)
thats why i hate buying stuff at christmas time! i try to buy stuff that are on sale throughout the year so i dont run into that issue. i have a few things bought already for this christmas.
that sucks. but i guess it was a good deal concidering he now has two jackets to wear. one for work and one for outings around town with you. I noticed that a lot of the time things are cheaper after christmas so thats why my parents don't buy me very much for christmas. like five or six presents and we get a lot more in january and february.
@mariposaman (2967)
If you paid full price before Christmas then it is likely at sometime it will get on sale. However it is too late to give as a Christmas present by then so you are out of luck. Sometimes you have to pay extra or full price because of the time of year. Apparently christmas trees are really cheap on Boxing day. Enjoy the coats, it sounds like you got a good deal on both anyway and now your hubby can have a nice coat when he is not working.
I absoultely hate when this happens but you always know its going to happen when you do buy something that epensive ecspcially clothes. I do it all the time at stores for my boyfriend since i buy all his clothes but im like he really needs it so im going to buy it and thena couple of weeks later its on sale or even on clearance. This happens to me at old navy but its life and you have to deal with it i guess. My boyfriend goes through alot of shorts and thats really all he wears and he is always ripping them in the past two months hes ripped three shorts and ive only bought him one new pair because they were 12.99 and they were at a outlet store so i had to buy them. I hate when you buy something and then go back and its on sale or clearance.
@scheng1 (24748)
That's nice. It's really worth to buy at a great discount. Hope everything will cost cheaper now that the recession deepen.
well... not only on Christmas.I shop for shoes often,they on sale very often.so when i bought my favourit shoes,after a week,i get back to the shop again,i can see the price just get down...on that time i say to myself..well i should buy my shoe a little bit later...haha
Yes I know! I remember everything is so cheap after Xmas that I had to wait after Xmas to start shopping. Actually it saves me a lot of money, which means I end up buying more things because they are so cheap *laughs*.
@hotsummer (10449)
that is a good buy. with that kind of price whether the 100 or $60. you have not lost anything. but with the new one i think that you have saved so much more and so gained more. specially now as you have said that the first buy was already pretty much used and the new one is a welcome buy.
@mimico (3619)
Haha that's so funny! I have never bought the same thing twice just because it was way cheaper. but you made a c=good decision. it's a great deal for a genuine leather coat. Plus, he can save the new one for special occasions. :) There are many things that go on sale after Christmas and I have been the 'victim' of these mark downs a lot of times. But it has never been such a big price difference, I think.
According to this matter,we shall live before Christmas to resist the temptation to buy things at a low price after Christmas to buy things we want,but you probably like me in mind different ,HaHa
Frequently, Except I usually don't buy it before christmas. lol, I'm not a big spender for Christmas, I don't get allowance, and I'm 16 w/o a job.... so yeah, Its a good thing I'm pretty crafty come christmas time XD
@jonesy123 (3950)
That happens a lot. When we were first married we would go shopping after Christmas for Christmas presents, lol. Anyhow, my dad likes to tell this story. He went and bought her a nightgown for Christmas but got the wrong size, they went back after Christmas and got two for the same price he had paid for the one before Christmas. Prices are slashed sometimes even just before Christmas latest the third week of January. They want to move the merchandise. I'm happy for you that you found such a great deal and I bet you husband is double happy;)