Cuban embargo still in place

When President Obama was a candidate, one of the points many people saw as reason enough to vote for him was his promise to lift the Cuban embargo. He said it would be done as soon as he took office. Everyone knew it wouldn't be that easy or happen that fast (he did say the first week he was in office!), but it's been a month now, and nothing's happened. I am not Cuban, but I live in South Florida, where Cuban politics are local politics. I insist upon integrity in our leaders, and that does not exclude the president. In addition to the urgent needs of the economy and health care and education, President Obama must take the actions he promised. Do you think we can expect these promises to be kept, or will this be yet another hated president because his promises were empty campaign points?
@Arkie69 (2156)
I am about to believe that Obama was just saying whatever he thought would get him elected. I don't think he had any intentions of actually doing anything he said he would. When Obama turned that bill over to Pelosi and let her put whatever she wanted to in it that told me everything I need to know about OBAMA. All he intends to do is a lot of talking. Art
How I hope you're wrong! How I fear you're right! He's certainly charismatic, but that doesn't get the work of the nation done. I didn't vote for Nancy Pelosi to be the president, either. Delegating authority is necessary, but this particular issue was too important for that...
@leenie50 (3992)
I'm afraid I have to go with Arkie on this one. If he hands over that much power to someone else then how can we possibly hold him to his promises? This might be one of those, promises are made to be broken!! leenie
@Arkie69 (2156)
Cobra/ Linnie, It seems to me Obama wants to get a lot done but for some reason he is afraid to step up to the plate and do them himself. it doesn't look like we are going to see him do much of anything that has any risk of failing. So he tries to do something and it fails. That's better than not doing anything at all. At least he would be trying. I would bet he still doesn't know most of what was in that bill he was in such a hurry to sign into law. If he had not read every word of that bill he shouldn't have signed it. You can be sure some more of our rights were trampled on by some parts of that bill. I am just waiting to see what it is this time. Art
@jonesy123 (3950)
Interesting, I never heard him promise he would lift that embargo. I know he wants to improve relations with Cuba and pick up some trade again, but not completely lift the embargo... Why would he? That would immediately paint him as communist or at the very least leftist socialist even to those who have always defended him... It would give approval to Cuban politics and I don't think that the US wants to do that. That's one hot potato Obama will likely not touch that quickly.
Many Miamians can quote the time, place and eact content of each of those promises, and it wasn't said just once. I don't think anyone expects a blanket expiration of the embargo, but at least the part that allows more contact with and support of relatives they still have in Cuba are vital to the huge majority of my neighbors. People often say they wish they could contact relatives and send money legally instead of having to sneak through friends in other countries. At least that must be done!
@jonesy123 (3950)
Lol, he made so many promises. He told people what they wanted to hear to be elected. I'm sure most Cuban-Americans down in Florida voted for him. He'll make some concessions and has a nice chat with Castro or his brother. If pushed by Cuban community leaders here in the US he might make some concessions as in working on less travel restrictions (which is more a Cuban thing btw, not US, they don't want to lose more people or give them an incentive to leave), and allow a bit more trade. But to be frank. The Cuban community is not big enough to put pressure on the President. He got their vote and will make very eloquent and convincing promises to be re-elected... you know the economy had to be fixed first and blah, blah, blah, but now.... As long as Castro or his brother are in power nothing much will move in the status quo. On the list of things to do, it's really not high up, even if he really intended to work on all of his promises. He can dazzle people but if you are realistic enough you'll see a lot of things won't happen.
@savypat (20246)
I think many campaign promises are made without knowledge of the facts of the matter. I don't know enough about the Cuban situation to make a comment. I do know that it has been going on a long time and made many people very unhappy. I do hope that Obama will find a way to keep his promises but understand that he is only one man and must prioritize his time.
Agreed! Still, I want our leaders to keep their promises or just not make them. We've been duped far too often in America and all over the world. Power over us must go to those who can use it well!
@leenie50 (3992)
Jo, I know he made these promises but now that he's in office, I fear that the Controllers have taken over. We all know or should know that the President alone cannot change policies, embargo's or pretty much anything without the House and Senate and lets not forget the lobbyists. I fear that his promises are only as good as they allow. Jo, I really hate speaking of Politics. It is too controversial and my thoughts and opinions should not inflame others. But I feel I have to respond to you my good friend. So there you go. xoxoxo leenie
Leenie, you diplomat! The president can make a decree about the parts of the embargo that are so urgent to so many Cuban exiles without going before the congress, and let the legislature worry about the rest of the embargo. Total release of the embargo is unlikely to pass, but less difficult contact with relatives is doable and necessary. Lobbyists need to be relieved of their power to affect American policies, as their special interests have gotten us into too much trouble already! XOXO, Joanne
well to be fair the economy is eating up a lot of his time. He really had to push and take a lot of time out his schedule to sweet talk for the stimulus bill. He made a lot of promises. We will have to see which ones he delivers on, which ones fail but he tries and which ones are completely forgotten.
You're right, but we hae to hold him to his promises, as all other leaders. If we continue to back people based on their promises and not demand that those promises be kept, we'll continue going down the tubes!
I'm all for Obama lifting the Cuban Embargo. I always thought that Cuban-Americans were torn on the issue. Maybe that's why he's waffling. With the fall of the Soviet bloc and the Fascists taking over South America, we don't need to worry about Cuba and it's old fashioned communism taking over the hemisphere. If we drop the embargo, the Cuban gov't will probably crumble. It would be a win-win. As far as Obama's promises, I think most are empty. But that's what we get for electing a president with no track record and vague but positive sound bites.
At least the parts of the embargo most personally harmful to exiles is on the floor in Congress. Instead of once every three years, relatives could be visited every year. Instead of being allowed to spend $50 or less per day on these visits, the amount will be well over $150. And relatives don't have to be parents, grandparents and siblings, but will include cousins, aunts and uncles. Every bit of progress is a major step in the right direction.
@riyasam (16578)
well,politicians are known to make us chase the air.only time will tell us,how different he is from the others.to give him the benefit of doubt ,he may beinvolved in more pressing matters like economic crisis.
Your point is valid, to some extent. If he hadn't put a date on his promise, people would probably be less upset about other matters taking precedence. A few promising things have happened sine this was first posted...
I don't recall Obama saying this, but if you say he did, I will give you the bennifit of the doubt. I do recall John McCain mentioning this, and I was shocked that he actually said he would. I hope that Obama does what he says he was going to do, and lift the embargo. I think it will help both countries, and I hope that he will lift the embargo soon. We could use their sugar from our ethonal and bio-diesel, and we could always us other location to sell our produce to.
The trade issues will take longer, but at least the legislature is working on families bisiting and sending money to relatives still on the island. That's the part he said would be done in the first week in office, and people are, frankly, thrilled that it's coe up even this soon!