My family is funny...

@dawnald (84124)
Shingle Springs, California
On Saturday my dad and step-mom were in town so we had dinner with them and my sister and brother-in-law. They had spent some time in Los Angeles, which was home until last August, and were on their way back to beautiful Fallon, NV, home of the naval air station where they train top gun pilots. Any dinner that includes Dad, me and Wendy can get pretty lively. I wish I had written more of this stuff down though. The memory isn't what it once was. Also the kids were constantly distracting me. I overheard something my Dad said to Wendy about how "they were working on the railroad". Talking about a traffic delay, I suppose. Wendy's response was, "they were working on the railroad all the live long day." We were off to a great start! When dinner arrived, everybody except Jane got served. So I turned to Dad and asked him if he was going to hit her with his usual line. "What's that," he asked, looking puzzled? "Don't wait for us," I said. "Oh yeah," he replied. "Jane, don't wait for us!" This followed by a "what have I gotten myself into" look on Jane's face. Later Jane was talking about how well Dad was doing with his weight loss program and how once he reached his next goal she was going to make him a mincemeat pie. Wendy jumped all over that one and said, "so are you going to turn to him and say 'you are a mincemeat pie'?" There was another one but alas, it escapes me. But the first comment does remind me of one that happened long ago. We went to see Showboat at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion back when we were still in Los Angeles. When Julie started off with a chorus of "Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly", we all chimed in with "but they don't last long if they try." Check out the following link if that one went right by you (not a ref link): http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Pollution-lyrics-Tom-Lehrer/E439EF548F571DF548256A7D00258670 Is your family funny like that?
@ElicBxn (59922)
ahh, I love Tom Lehrer! Poisoning Pigeons in the Park! New Math - ahhh, those were the days!
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Oh no, don't get me started!!!
@ElicBxn (59922)
one of my favorite Star Trek music videos is to New Math! http://www.iment.com/maida/tv/songvids/stsong.htm#hinewmath
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
downloading...zzz my favorite is The Vatican Rag...
@ladym33 (11009)
My family is like that. We always have a good time when we are together. We always tease each other, and mom and sister and I always take something somebody says and makes something dirty out of it We usually end up giggling uncontrollaby while all the men just roll their eyes at us, and make fun of us for being so silly. The kids are gettin older now too so they are starting to get in to the tasing and stuff as well.
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Mine are too, though some of it goes over their little heads!!!
@p1kef1sh (45647)
My Mum was a social worker - but we won't hold that against her too much. When she was training (in her 40s) she used to try to psychoanalyze us at Sunday lunch. My Dad always said "I may be an inadequate. But I'm a happy inadequate!". I find myself saying it nowadays. We do become our parents!
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
"a happy inadequate" - I like that!!!! Reminds me of my favorite quote: Happiness is doing it rotten your own way!