A R Rahman has received this academy award for a mediocre work!

Firstly I thought that it is a matter of personal choice, but then a few of my friends agreed with me and then I thought why not to ask people all over the world now when he has been recognized worldwide. The only problem for people outside India, as I see it, in appreciating his work is that they all are related to Hindi movies (or some other Indian regional languages). I have been listening to him since early 90's, remember Roza, and since then he has given a number of unforgettable numbers. If you have heard him for other then "jay ho", don't you think that he has received this award for a mediocre work from his own standards? By the way, at no point do I want to offend the Oscars.
@krajibg (11936)
• Guwahati, India
I was still thinking on the whole episode of the the slamdog...and AR Rahman getting an Oscar too. I heard the song and listen to it too and finally I too reached to that point that he has much much superior composition than this. I guess as it was associated with the slamdog and he got it. It is simple.
Thanks for your response dear.
@winterose (39918)
well the academy awards are decided by a group of people so I don't really think his work is crap if he was paid that highest honor.
Hi. Thanks for your response. Well I don't mean that his work is not up to that level that he get this recognition for it, What I mean is he has done much better work then for which he has been rewarded.
@winterose (39918)
yes I agree lots of actors are like that, but I think for the people in the west it is the first time we are seeing him so we can only judge on this movie.
I won`t say that his work was mediocre but only thing which i would like to say is that he has done some expectional work in the past and it`s just that there has been better composition than jai ho composed by him but they all have been in bollywood movies so it didn`t gained golbal recognition so we as an indian felt that his work is mediocre but it`s just that we have greater expectations from him....
If my words didn't meant that, I did. Thanks for your response dear.
@4mymak (1796)
hi raj.. i luv AR Rahman's music.. but i think i have to agree with you.. i've heard better music and sounds from him.. but to be fair.. the people in hollywood only had the 'nominated movies' to judge with.. i am sure they were to compare some of his previous with 'Jayho'... they too.. will agree with us.. maybe it's not just us.. i know AR Rahman surely must be proud of himself.. but he didnt look very, very excited of his win, dont you think? still.. u should be proud of him.. it is a big thing to be an Oscar Winner..
Hi. i am surely proud of Rahman, no question about it. Thanks for your response.
@catdla1 (6005)
I haven't had the opportunity to see the movie yet, but I plan to. It is certainly possible that A R Rahman has better or more artistic works, but unless they are released on a larger scale, many people would never see them. Now that an award has been given, perhaps an interest will be taken and more people would search out other works. Maybe this is only the first Oscar...right?
Hi. Yes this is the first Oscar award for him.
@eshaan (6193)
yes, i agreee with you friend, he has given a number of unforgettable songs earlier also, but as the movie slumdog went for oscars, they noticed its music, otherwise it seems that they were sleeping before this??? ...i totally agree with you.
Very true. Rahman has given much better scores then that "jay ho" song and we are really fortunate that we are listening him since very starting.
@veejay19 (3592)
Jay Ho is a typical Bollywood number and is certainly not Rahman`s best. In fact i was shocked when i heard it, i will say it was lousy. I guess the Americans do not know what high standards Indian music had reached in the sixties and seventies. Rahman is lucky to have got an Oscar for a truly mediocre song, by his own standards.
@winterose (39918)
the academy awards are decided by a panel of people in the business, so if they felt he deserved an award he must have.