Economy doesn’t dampen Mardi Gras festivities ,can you explain this?

@ronnyb (6125)
Jamaica
Tourist interest s and new Orleans Officials are saying that they don’t expect that the economic downturn will affect Mardi Gras and they still expect large crowds .Their argument ironically is supported by the fact that all hotel rooms are nearly full. I find this somewhat surprising as I was thinking that persons would be prioritizing and somehow entertainment would get the smallest chunk of that budget but it seems that there are persons hell bent on defying the odds. How do you account for these unusual facts, I have some ideas but I would like to hear yours
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
people do the craziest things. they are probably taking money that they should be spending on bills & living it up. bet they pay for it when they get home. i don't know why people can't realize that the rainy day will catch up w/them sooner or later. people live above their means & then when it comes time to pay the piper they are in shock. duh!
@ronnyb (6125)
• Jamaica
I think so too ,they are really crazy.I cant see how that money couldnt be spent in better ways .I am not saying that one shouldnt have fun but if all the predictions are for doom and gloom,I would like to think that persons would be saving for a rainy day as you say.I hope the pied piper doesnt catch them off gaurd and wondering how much better off they could be if they didnt spend all that money on mardi gras
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
it will come home to them. i think everybody better be watching their p's & q's when it comes to blowing money nowadays.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
thanks for the best response , ronnyb.
That doesn't surprise me. Money comes and goes but Mardi Gras is forever. Plus to get a hotel room in New Orleans , you have to book it well in advance. So if the roonm is paid for, why hot go?
@lampar (7597)
That city make a lot more revenues from tourists, economy hardship does not hit the city, after all, their governor has even rejected federal aids recently, they have too much money and no poverty in the state. Just let them enjoy drunk and be big easy.
@Barb42 (4217)
I don't think anything would make Mardi Gras week unsuccessful! There are people who would go out and have fun at Mardi Gras or other places when they didn't even have the money to pay next month's rent! Some save up all year long just to go back down to New Orleans to have fun the week of Mardi Gras. So, no Mardi Gras will not suffer for tourists at all. I just saw the streets this afternoon on television and they were full.
@Canellita (12058)
First of all, Mardi Gras is the largest "free" party there is on earth. Not only are there festivals and parades and other events taking place that it doesn't cost anything to atend/participate in you get to go home loaded down with all kinds of stuff -- we'll call it party favors-- that you got while at these events. If you drive to the city, you only pay for gas; if you have friends or relatives you can stay with you don't have to spend money on hotels. Secondly, during periods of economic difficulty people still need to be able to enjoy themselves. They go out to eat, they see movies and concerts and they keep buying things. Some do it on credit and some do it frugally but all understand the situation is just temporary. As for tourism in New Orleans, many visitors come as a way to help see the city get back on it's feet at the pre-K level. Voluntourism is still big, why should Mardi Gras be any different? It's another revenue generating vehicle and if people can afford to travel why shouldn't they?
Could be after Katrina and all the doom and gloom people are now experiencing financially they just want to let go and have fun for a couple of days. Sort of a last hurrah!
@iriscot (1290)
I think it gives people the opportunity to cut loose, drink and raise hell. In St ouis over 100 minors were ticketed for being drunk and several others were ticketed for urinating in public. There are people in St Louis who are now patitioning to dicontinue the Mardi Gras celebration in St Louis because of the drunkedness and mess that is left near storefronts and on the streets.
@dvschic (1796)
fat tuesday and mardi gras have been going on for a lot longer than this 'depression'. its the last day to be gluttonous before lent and it waits for no man. come hurricanes/depressions/whatever, the people of new orleans are goin to party. laissez les bons temps rouler! (let the good times roll)