What advice was given to you before you married?

@SomeCowgirl (32270)
What advice was given to you before you were married? Did the person(s) say that it would be easier or harder, and do you think that the advice you were given was individualized or do you think it was generalized? Was the advice accurate? This discussion came about as I have seen a discussion basically saying that they wished that they were single as they felt it was better. I have been told, as well as my fiance, that nothing much changes once you are married. I think that that advice was given individualized for my fiance and I as we live together and know each other's habits as we have grown accustomed to and have changed our habits to fit together. Do you think the advice you were given was accurate?
@forslahiri (1042)
Hi, 'U r going to loose Ur Freedom,be prepared for Life-long Slavery!' hehe.. =Lahiri,Kolkata,India.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
Wow that is some interesting advice! Lol, well was that what was given to you?
Hi, Dear,for last 30 years(married-life)...every words "True"!...hihi...
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
hmm well I am not a social being as it is and enjoy doing housework and such, so I am prepared! lol I greatly appreciate the response, have a lovely day.
@bunnybon7 (36901)
• Holiday, Florida
that is very funny. my dad told me with my first hubby not to marry that drinking lazy bum i did and my dad was right
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
lol well my mom approves of him, no one else has much to say but I know they like him! lol! I appreciate the response!
@lynnemg (4539)
My Grandmother told me to make sure I was ready to spend my life with my husband before we got married. She also told me to remember why we fell in love to begin with, especially when times get tough. She is right about that, when times are tough, we do often forget why we fell i love in the first place, and remembering that can bring a couple closer together. She also told me to always let him be the man of the house. In other words, don't make him feel that he isn't doing his part even when I may feel like he is not. Sometimes, it is best not to say anything at all when we feel like our partner isn't pulling their weight, and chances are really good that there will be times when the shoe is on the other foot and we do not want to be made to feel bad either. Marriage isn't easy. it takes a lot of hard work and compromise. Even if you have lived together before the ceremony, some things do change. As long as you both work together and respect each other, you will be fine. Just remember, you marry for better or orse, when things get tough, you can't just bail out.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I appreciate your words of advice! My fiance and I do believe in talking to each other and working things out amongst ourselves. I don't know how much will change for myself and my fiance, but I know that we can get through the change! I appreciate the response.
@jesssp (2742)
My sister in law to be got us Marriage for Dummies for Christmas last year and it was full of all sorts of completely useless advice. It was all about how marriage is so much different than just living together and blah blah blah. We've lived together for 3 years, nothing between us is going to change in May when my last name does. The way I look at it is that you don't get married until you are 100% sure that you are going to spend the rest of your life with that person. You have to know each other and how to communicate with each other and I don't really think you can be taught or advised how to do that. You just have to learn how - BEFORE you get married! - and when you can't that's when relationships fail.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
Those books are kind of pointless, although they are cute to read. My fiance and I are confident that we are in love, and that we are ready for marriage. lol!