My 9 year old needs reading glasses

@lilybug (21148)
My son and I had appointments at the eye doctor today. He needs reading glasses. He has been complaining about getting headaches when he reads, but the blackboard is not a problem. So that would make him far-sighted. I am near-sighted. You your kids have glasses or did you get them at a young age?
@ersmommy1 (12600)
My daughter got them this year. She is 5. She has cousins that need or wear them. That makes it easier for them to stay on her face. By your description it makes him near sighted. Which is common. My hubby and I are near-sighted. Our daughters doctor said it can run in families. I bet he will look fantastic!
@lilybug (21148)
He is far sighted. He can see far away, but not close up.
Its sad really to get kids straddled with glasses at this early age but its best for them. My son has been diagnosed with astigmatism (he is also 9yrs) and has to wear corrective glasses. He basically had (still has) no problems whatsoever, only the occasional blackboard thing and that also from the last bench. Otherwise he was perfectly OK and hence we did not have any idea of his being astigmatic. But even then we took him and there he was…the doctor scolded us for being late, we should have given him glasses earlier.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
So far I'm the only one with glasses in the family, and I didn't get them until I was about 21. I didn't need them when I was young, but as I got into my late teens, I was straining really hard to focus, which gave me horrible headaches, and when I was tired, forget about it! I let it go on too long as it was, but finally bit the bullet and got glasses and haven't stopped wearing them since. My prescription is over +5.00 in both eyes.