$250 and almost 2 hours later, everyone was home

@reinydawn (11651)
Last night I was sitting down getting ready to unwind before heading to bed - this was about 10pm. The phone rings... It's my son, he's at a friends apartment and apparently they tow company is on a towing frenzy. Yeah, his car has been towed and it's $250 CASH to get it back. They tell him his best bet is to call back after 10am in the morning to come get it. So, he at least needs a ride home, but I can't take him to get his car tomorrow and he can't borrow one of ours because we'll both be using them tomorrow. Also, there's the problem with the money - he doesn't have it. So I tell him to call them back and tell them he'll be there within the hour to pick it up. I get dressed, go get him, by this time ANOTHER car is being towed. We run by my bank, hit the ATM, and he's still trying to find out if someone will be able to get there and give him his car tonight. We find the place, the dogs are barking like crazy, and a tow truck finally shows up - the one with the car we saw getting towed. Well, this guy can't give us the car, we have to wait for this other tow truck. It's after 11pm by this time and we're really hoping it's not going to be too much longer. After a bit, another tow truck shows up, and it's the right one. We pay the guy, we get the car and we're home around midnight. NOW, I have to really unwind and it's closer to 1am before I get to bed. I'm glad today's a "short" day at work, I'm only working my normal 8 hours!!!
@Opal26 (17694)
Hey reiny! Not a particulary fun evening huh? Those towing services are relentless! They are like that where I live! Once they take the car or put on a boot they don't rush or care! They do that all the time where I live and they make a fortune! Here they boot the cars first so they can't move them! So you have to call them to get the boot off and I think they charge $70 for that! If they tow it's even more! And they take their time coming back! So you can be waiting for hours! They also put the signs for "No Parking" in unlit areas so you can't see them and if you complain they don't care! They have some racket!
@reinydawn (11651)
It really irks me how the put the signs up. I parked at a meter once and put money in it. When I came out, there was still time on the meter, but I had a parking ticket. At the end of the street was a sign that said "No Parking" between such and such hours - when I was there of course. Like I could see the sign down the street. I never paid the ticket, but it's not like I drive into DC alot so I don't care.
@moondancer (7434)
It seems that when we least need anything to happen bad, it always happens. It's good that you have a short work day today.
@reinydawn (11651)
I was so tired at work, and there was even more drama going on throughout the day... I actually left about 10 minutes early and even went to be early!
@terri0824 (4975)
Oh my gosh, so why was it being towed in the first place and why was the fee $250? That is a pretty steep towing fee. I have heard on the news where people who are behind on their car payments that their cars are being towed and the towing company's are making a racket on it. Glad you were able to get the car back and you have a short day, but something sounds fishy about his car being towed and able to retrieve it for $250 CASH.
@reinydawn (11651)
Apparently, he was in a parking lot that is only for people who live at the complex, they have no parking for guests - even though the lot was only half full. And actually, cash is pretty standard, and if he was in Baltimore it would have been double. My boss was towed one day in Baltimore and it was $500 CASH - no bills larger than $20 accepted. They have your car, the can do whatever they want.
@baileycows (3670)
Well i am glad to hear that your such a great mom. Kids are great, just be glad he counts on you. There are so many kids that never consider their parents after they move out. I really hope my daughter still calls in the middle of the night when she needs something.
@reinydawn (11651)
Although he's 25, he hasn't moved out. Well, he did once for a while and accumulated a mountain of debt so he's been back for a few years. Sometimes I wish he could count on his father a bit because it does get tiring...
@pergammano (7756)
Hey, were you reading my diary! Boy, does this sound familiar! It's the old "been there, done that" story for me...but, like you, I wouldn't have it any other way! I am so glad, that my son(even tho' 29) still feels he can call his Mother, when there are issues in his life! What really annoys me...is the arrogance of Tow Truck firms! We have your vehicle and we will hold you...AND IT hostage, until WE are ready! There is no cooperation on their part! They are busy towing you 24 hours a day..then why can't they be compliant enough to let you recover your goods 24 hours a day! As you explained, you had to do all the "fancy dancing" to their tunes to get your son's car back...at their convenience? And what an incredible amount of "ransom" money...WOW..$250.00? Obviously, they are one of the few businesses that will survive in this recession! Hope you make it thru, the day..8 hours is still a long one! Cheers!
@reinydawn (11651)
I am (kinda) glad that he still calls me, but I just wish he'd start doing it around 6pm or something!!! And sometimes I do wish he'd call his father... But, we're all back home, safe and sound, I'm out $250 but he'll "pay me back"... He is talking to the owner/manager of the tow company to try to get some of it back because that's just way rediculous. He's also going to call the complex where his friends lives and give them a bit of what-for about not having parking for visitors. Kids are great, aren't they????
what would we do without our kids, to teach us to manage our finances better! MOMMA BANK...LOL! Truly, I would NOT have it any other way! I am divorced, have benn for 15 years (loving it)...and I am the first call, always! His Father is very wealthy...but it's always "Momma Bank"...and I always get paid back, so I am kinda smug! Sometimes tho, I wished he would make other calls first, just b4 hew went to Brazil...he hit black ice, his vehicle was tottering on an embankment, 30 foot drop, he couldn't get out.....as the truck would have rolled! Who does he call first..Mom, my first question, have you called 911? No, Mom! Get off the phone to me and call 911...then call me back! His answer; "I just needed you to know I love you, Mom." Phew! I truly hope that you do recover some of that money...would it help to try & call other companies, and see what they would have charged! Go armed with ammo? Have a great weekend!
@reinydawn (11651)
I know exactly how you feel! When my youngest ran his car off the road and rolled it, he tried to call me, but I wasn't in my office. He left 2 messages, then he did call his dad. Of course, the car was towed to my house and his father left him (unattended) at my house too. Fortunately he was ok, just bruised up a bit. But I can totally understand why they call me first! Oh, my oldest already said when he gets his tax money back for me to just take it out of his account - it will cover this bill anyways! If we didn't have some timing issues right now we'd just let him keep it, but we've got some bills coming due that we needed that money for. One of these days he'll get caught up on what he owes us, but I'm not that worried about it.
Wow how come his car got towed in the first place? I do not understand things like that. I CA we do not get out cars towed unless we park in the wrong place. I have seen people park in the middle of the street and not get towed. I am glad you got his car and I am glad everyone was safe.
@reinydawn (11651)
Well, he was parked somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. He was at his friends house and apparently there's no parking for guests. They aren't usually very strick about it unless there's no parking for the tennants. I guess someone got mad one day and they started towing everyone who didn't have a sticker. It's really stupid because there were tons of parking spaces for the tennants, there really was no reason to tow the guests cars. But, worse things coulda happened....
Your are right he could have not come home safely at all or his car could have been stolen. I am glad all worked out fine.
• Marion, Kansas
That is pretty bad that a normal 8 hours is a short day, but I know how it is. Why was he towed? Had he parked someplace he should not have? It sounds rather like extortion to me.
@reinydawn (11651)
Right now I'm working 10 hour days because it's tax season. After next week it's back to my regular 7.5 hour days. And yeah, he was kinda parked somewhere he shouldn't have been. The apartment complex where his friend lives has no designated visitor parking so if you don't park down the street (which isn't lit very well) then you run the risk of getting towed. Usually they don't care because there are PLENTY of spaces, but I guess they need the money so they're towing people. He doesn't visit that guy any more.