Stealing in the Office, UGH!

@gwoman2 (711)
I need your help myLotters please...I've been here 15 years and am the only Hispanic here that came in as a student, got my GED here, and was hired. I'm feeling some type of way and it's giving me the biggest headache, ugh! There are 9 people in my office building and about 5 people in the back in Tax Office. We also have a cleaning lady who comes in after hours... We all have access to every office. Most of the people here have worked here for over 30 years. This morning we noticed a note in the break room stating that 2 new knives are missing and would whoever took them to return them...as if that were not enough we were all called in to the conference room where our supervisor stated that she was not acusing no one but that knives were missing and MONEY FROM THE PETTY CASH was also missing but didn't mention an amount... MyLotters, I am poor and never have been, nor will I be rich and there are many, many things I've done in my past but being a thief is certainly not one of them...I could honestly say that I could be starving and at many points in my life I was, but I never resorted to stealing...I resorted to selling drugs! My question to you is: How do I deal with this...I am soooooooooooo uncomfortable and feeling as if I am being accused...Help me please, any advice will be so appreciated. Thank you Very Sad in Bridgeton, ~G~
@jonesy123 (3950)
Unless the supervisor looked directly at you, nobody is accusing you of anything. In fact, right now, everybody, including your supervisor is a suspect. You have been there for 15 years. I'd look more at recent additions and whether the cleaning lady came herself or sent in a replacement. Could also have been an outsider, somebody who visited somebody who works there or a client. What gives you the feeling that you are under suspicion? The company I used to work for, well, food kept disappearing out of the fridges. People would put it there for lunch and it would be gone. Sometimes people would go out for lunch and store the leftovers in the fridge, and they were taken. Didn't happen every day, not even every week, but often enough to make people suspicious of each other, especially, when snack food started to disappear out of drawers. Well, we also had this director, who would sometimes asked for a taste of your food actually simply help himself if he was with friends. He definitely knew where people kept their snacks. People did suspect him but thought he is single, earns a huge salary, why would he take peoples' food. He never brought food with him and either went out for lunch or ordered something to be delivered to his office. Anyhow, he left to take a job with another company... and eventually we noticed that no food has gone missing since he had left... You draw your own conclusions. Therefore, just because somebody seemingly has money doesn't mean they might not take something from the office, even something petty as knives or change out of petty cash. Even you being the only Hispanic shouldn't have the fingers automatically pointing at you, that's just crazy. You have worked there for 15 years. People should know better. My advice to you, don't immediately feel suspected. In fact, in this time and age, the way the economy is... well, I'd suspect one of the 'better offs'. The poor have long learned to live on a budget and to do without to make ends meet. The ones who have a lot to lose are those who are in debt up to their eyeballs having afforded themselves fancy houses and cars and vacations... Those are also the ones who want to cover up their misfortune of not being able to pay for it all. Here in my town there have been a lot of cases where those people took money that was entrusted to them as treasurers of clubs or churches. So, keep your head up, you didn't do it. Keep your stuff locked up, if you can. You don't want your things to disappear. Somebody who has been tempted to take money out of petty cash might eventually take the opportunity to take a wallet out of a purse... Also, keep your eyes open. You might see something that might give away the actual thief! Sorry you are going through this, but just because of your own background... it's not a reason to feel accused. Hold your head high girl!
@gwoman2 (711)
Oh my God, thank you sooooooo much...you've really made me feel better! Yes, you are correct, because of my past, which incidently everyone knows because I also am a motivational speaker and tell my story to help others overcome whatever, so I guess that is why I feel "some type of way". But again, thank you so much for your input, I do appreciate it! ~G~
@winterose (39918)
It is not personal, she addressed the group because she knows somebody in the group did it, but it is not personal, try not to take it that way, you did nothing wrong so you have nothing to worry about.