Senate votes to keep earmarks

The senate voted today 63-32 to keep all the earmarks in the spending bill. Senator McCain has attempted to push a motion that would have deleted all the earmarks. But as you can see it was voted down. Those earmarks are worth 7.7 BILLION dollars. There were 8,570 earmarks attached to the bill. Well it looks like 63 Senators need to be replaced when they come up for re-election. What do you think?
@anniepa (27236)
I'd have to know what the earmarks were before I could pass judgment on any of them. "Earmark" is the new target of the day, the thing everyone is supposed to hate automatically but all it really means is it's the part of the spending bill requested by a lawmaker for his or her own state or district. I've not doubt many if not most of the 8,570 of them are pork-laden but there are also no doubt some which belong in the spending bill. Since the Republicans have proposed almost as many earmarks as the Democrats they can't be blamed on just one party. The problem with saying 63 Senators need to be replaced is that probably most voters who had their Senator or Senators vote for an earmark in their state will probably think 61 or 62 Senators should be replaced but that theirs is doing what they were sent to do. Many voters think that something may seem really stupid and wasteful in another state but if it's something that's going to create jobs, even if only a few, and bring revenue to their state it's well worth it. Annie
"earmarks" are bad. No matter what. If they want money to go to a certain place hten they need to write a bill. Earmarks are a trick used to put something they want on an important piece of legilation that has NOTHING to do with that bill, but because of what the bill is about it is likely to pass so they throw whatever they can on it. IT is underhanded and dirty. ANd it needs to stop. If they want money to go to a projectg put it in the budget or appropriations bills.
@deejean06 (1953)
I think some states are lost causes and will never give up their Democratic representatives - do you?
@deejean06 (1953)
The problem is that my family and I have never kept these people in office and yet we have to deal with the problems they create!
@bobmnu (8160)
It would be nice to know who the Republicans were that voted to keep the earmarks. They need to go. Do we get a chance to look at this bill or is it too important for us to see, just have faith and hope that things will change.