Me versus the Board of Education?

I live in small town, bible belt, USA. The schools here are excellent when it comes to academics. The athletic programs are top notch as well. Until last night I had no complaints about the schools here. Last night it was brought to my attention by my kids that the district Dress Code is unfair and discriminating. The district Dress Code states that boys are NOT allowed to wear earrings to school or to any school function. The dress code states that boys can NOT have hair that extends past the eyebrow in front, the middle of the ear on the sides or past where the collar of a button down business type shirt would be and pony tails are NOT allowed either. The dress code also states that boys can NOT have facial hair of ANY type. The girls however can wear any type or as many earrings as they wish. The girls can wear their hair any length and any style they so choose without any restrictions. This is NOT right!! And I plan to do something about it. Right now I am in the process of talking to other parents and community members to rally as much support as I can before going to the district Board of Education. So to make this a discussion here are your questions: Do you feel its right for male students to have to adhere to different rules within the same dress code than the female students do? Do you feel that these rules are outdated? Would you speak out to get them changed? if you lived here would you stand behind me and support this cause?
If it were a private school I'd say that they have the right to make such rules. You sign onto the rules when you choose the school. Since education is mandated and the government must make available and provide a public education, I don't think a public school has the right to discriminate based on gender. Though I do think they have the right to set a dress code based on it's potential to disrupt school while being as liberal as is still possible i.e. no gang wear, no t-shirts with bigoted hateful messages etc. Given your dress code, if this is a public school yeah, I'd stand behind you, support the cause.
it is a public school so far I have two parents that support changing the dress code
@carpenter5 (6786)
Yea, I do think it's a little unfair. I could see where some of those might have gotten started, but NO FACIAL HAIR? Good grief. That is carrying it to a little bit of an extreme don't you think? When my son was a young teeneager, he was so excited to begin growing a bit of a moustache. He certainly wasn't going to get up every morning and shave!
yeah it is a bit extreme they are young men, most young men look forward to facial hair it is symbolic of their new found manhood