Long discussion topics here in mylot.

@laydee (12814)
Do you go for them? or are you the ones who doesn't like to read a long topic? I sometimes don't like to read through all those mumbo jumbo descriptions, and sometimes lose my interest when I see several paragraphs in them. Are you like me? I usually just skip them and go to the other topics, or sometimes, just answer or comment based on the title. haha What do you do?
@checapricorn (16066)
[i]HI laydee, when it is my friend here and who is active in my post, I always read and comment on it... I am not a fan of long post as it bored me but there are interesting post also that I love to read![/i]
@barehugs (8986)
Usually the long Posts are rambling and too wordy. I am put off by these, and seldom read them. If I don't read them I seldom respond. Also I am put off by a one line response. If you want to get paid for your response write as least 4 lines. There is no excuse for writing a long, rambling, wordy, and wandering Post. A little revision, and some thought, will transform the most untidy and tedious page into a concise and meticulous Post.
@laydee (12814)
So true! It's amazing what people do to earn more here. They jumble words, and sometimes makes me think that they're using the thesaurus in order to compose a single response. Hahaha.. Thank you for the thoughts!
@cream97 (29166)
One time, I will avoid the long discussions. But now, I don't. I try my best to read through them so that I can help another person out. I try to be fair. I want others to read my discussions, so I read theirs too. I no longet skip like I used to do.
Oh i am like you i just the that are short and get to the to the point.I get bored if it is to long.
Laydee- I know I'm on the other end of the issue on this one, but it is sad to read that there are those who simply refuse to read what another person has spent a great deal of time writing as an original post or even as a response simply because they deem it "wordy, long winded" or what have you. I feel that if I am going to make a response I am going to put some time and effort into it. It shows that I not only care about the subject at hand, but respect the person who wrote the topic or responded by giving them my full attention. Short responses (original responses or topics) seem to be trivalizing things, and do make it appear that the person is more concerned with numbers of posts, rather then quantity. It is not that a short response is never needed. I at times have admitted that I have nothing more I can add when someone has made a great response to something I've written, but I do take the time to thank them for their input. I don't consider anything written well "mumbo jumbo" as you've put it. I consider it the work of someone who wanted to try to convey their point of view. For some, they can do this in a very short space. I know I'm very capable as a writer to create a packed sentence, however I've found from experience that most cannot read them and it ends up in a longer discussion then is necessary, so I take the time to spell out what I'm saying to start with. For me, it goes against everything I am to simply respond with a short quip to serious discussions. I would hope that we'd all respect another enough to read what they have to say. If we don't feel we need to respond then that is our choice, but we may find that there is something that sparks an idea and we can then interact. That is indeed the purpose of communication. Of course, I also support Tolkiens idea on speaking when he has Treebeard respond "“Entish is a lovely language, but it takes a long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a very long time to say.
@laydee (12814)
Thank you for that passionately written response, know that I have read each and every word and fully understood your point. However, I feel that it's not really the length that causes me to avoid such topics, but rather the construction of such phrases and paragraphs. People tend to sink everything up in one paragraph that the mere sight of the number of lines makes me quirk inside and feel the need to sleep. Unless of course, if the topic heading was already very interesting in the first place. But you're right, everyone deserves the respect for their efforts that is why when I'm not up for a long read, I just skip those lengthy topics and go for the much shorter ones. Again, I thank you for dropping by, and do hope that I haven't turned you off. Happy mylotting!
Laydee- Thank you for clarifying your point, and reading my rather lengthy response. lol I can say with all heart that as an English teacher I agree with you 100%. I get very annoyed if I come upon a long run-on sentence the length of a paper. I typically try to weed through them if the topic is interesting, but I do it annoyed and frustrated. Namaste-Anora
Well, I never just answer based on the title or the first few sentences. I'd had people do that in my discussions, and most of the time their response doesn't make sense because they didn't read the whole thing. And I've seen posters get really mad when they can tell the responder didn't read the entire discussion. When it comes to the people on my friend list, yes I read even the long discussions, for the most part. It doesn't mean I respond to them, but I read them. I can think of one I just read that was long and I think I totally wasted my time. I won't go into what they wrote about. Anyway, if I am just on mylot browsing for discussions, like you I lose interest. I often skip those long ones if they aren't from people on my friend list.
@laydee (12814)
Wow! You really value your mylot friends, that I can see. Anyhow, one indication for me if I should continue reading or not would be the first paragraph. When it's already interesting in that paragraph, I'd go on. If not, I'd just let it be. Like you, I also read each and every response the person makes to my discussion. I wouldn't always reply (specially if it's more or less the same with the others) but I will always give then a positive rating. By the way, your topics are interesting enough. Most are quite long, but I don't mind, it's always pleasing to read your stories and queries. Keep it up! Thanks for dropping by!
Mylot suggests not to post just a few line discussions. When I first joined, I read they recommended making the discussions as detailed as possible, to expect more responses, and longer responses. Short ones don't pay as much.
@WATARIKENJI (1534)
There are times when I like to read long discussions specially when he topic is interesting. There are also times when I would prefer to just read short ones so that I could respond immediately.
@laydee (12814)
I guess it's entirely up to how our moods are that particular mylot day. Thanks for dropping by!
@TLChimes (4842)
I don't mind long as much as the over the top hard to read. I like Keep It Simple. I don't like to try to read someone who types in a hard to read way (due to language or educational issues) or people who are far more wordy then they need to be. I think that most people here like neat but straight forward. Not complicated or scrambled. Long is ok, jumbled or know it all isn't. But that could just be me.
@laydee (12814)
Oh tell me about it, I really hate those who type using slang and don't know how to spell stuff. I get distracted. Also, those who don't now how to use the comma (,) and the period (.) plus couldn't use spaces after each paragraph. Too tough for the eyes to read everything in one paragraph. Thanks for dropping by.
@nancyrowina (3850)
It is off putting if a post is really long, I prefer posts that are to the point and ask a question or for an opinion so it's easy to respond. Sometimes things just take a lot of description though and as long I find the subject interesting I will read long posts.
Sometimes I'll read what other people have to say if I'm really interested. Sometimes I just respond to the person that started the conversation. I have read other mylotters' feedback, interesting to see how others feel about a topic. And then there are times I don't agree with what other mylotters have written. I believe that we are all here to express our own opinions, isn't that what being apart of a discussion and what this website is all about. And yes, some people do start some weird topics, or have weirdo comments/responses. I have also gotten some good feed back from others, that make me think twice. Even from some discussions I didn't take apart of.