Is a Referal link the same as an Affiliate link?

Would you consider a referal link to be the same as an affiliate link?
@derek_a (10904)
I see a referral link as a link that directs people to a site such as Mylot to sign up in your down;ine. Once someone signs up using your referral link, they become part of your downline, but will only earn if they are active and earning money themselves. An affiliate links is a link to a company or product that you have signed up with as an affiliate - for example, Amazon. When you sell a product from the affiliate site, you would get a commission. If you do not sell a product through your link, you would not get a commission. - Derek
is this how it is being used online, derek? if this is indeed so, then i have it all wrong about an affiliate link. anyway, it is best that i get enlightened on this one. all the while, i was thinking that affiliate links refer to those links that appear in some discussions which direct us to open a file somewhere in another site to view what that discussion is all about. for this, i should say, many thanks for this information.
a referral link is definitely being posted in a discussion in the hope of getting recruits for a site which is other than mylot, that is, talking on the mylot side. this is banned from mylot. those discussions which contain referral links will surely be deleted very soon without fail. whereas, an affiliate link is not necessarily a referral link. let us say that you have a discussion about the recent news on obama and you refer your responders to youtube for them to view that news item, isn't that an affiliate link? but this kind is okay for the purposes of our discussion here. i may be worng though in the context of how it is being used here in mylot. for me though, this is how it's got to be. a referral link can only mean that the link is a recruitment link while, an affiliate link is not necessary done in order to have invites for recruitment.
@venchaul (541)
I think it is the same. By the way, may I ask how many referals you have. Thank you!
@marina321 (4561)
Yes it is the same and serves the same purpose
MY REFERENCE: ITEM 15/28 UNDER "DON'Ts" LIST AT MYLOT DISCUSSION GUIDELINE (copied and pasted) "Post any links promoting other affiliate programs or that do not pertain to the discussion. Posting the same link over and over or posting links that have no relevance to the discussion is not allowed." First and foremost, sorry for my copied and pasted activity in responding to your specific point of discussion, I mean for getting positive value to reach easy way to make "word reference" for my elaboration in this issue. My understanding to the words for "Post any links", the word "any" in the sentence means myLot will not tolerate to the posted link regardless of the plural "links". Next will be the authoritative word for "promoting". Of course, when we said "promote" there are something to promote and where to promote, I mean the whole set of objective of doing promotion. Finally, the words for "other affiliate programs". The word "program", here, is specifically related or referred to online earning program. MY CONCLUSSION YES, I understand, take and accept it; "a referral link" as "an affiliate link". The entire words and sentences in that discussion guideline, about the link and not the name of the affiliate program.