Are designer clothes worth the buck?

Somalia
Are you are designer clothes fanatic? What does it make you feel whenever you acquire one? Are they worth it? I must confess that I'm not one for designer clothes, although i like clothes with good design. I can't just condition my mind to stop comparing price and quality when making purchases. One look at the price tag automatically brings my choice back to tha rack. And whenever I do end up buying one that's a little bit pricey I end up feeling guilty for weeks.
@skydancer (1716)
I was a designer clothes freak in high school, mostly because I was a social outcast, had few friends, and felt constant pressure to keep my grades up (if you made bad grades, that made you "stupid" in the eyes of fellow students and the only thing worse was to be the stupid girl with no friends.) On top of all this, if your clothes did not come from designer/specialty stores, people seemed to look down on you and think you were poor. So... I would do things like buy designer clothes just to compensate for the social graces I never had but wish I did... Now I am pretty much the same way socially, and am VERY picky about how I look and what my outfit looks like if I go out, however, around the house, I am content to just wear cheap old rags... something I can move freely in when I practice my dance or something loose enough to fit over my dancewear. I have also discovered that if I go to Goodwill, I almost always find "designer" items in my size in immaculate condition for less than $5 per item, which is a great way to save money. Also, nobody ever knows they're from Goodwill unless I tell them! If I have a gift certificate or something for one of the expensive designer stores, I'll use it but only on that occasion. Since I am no longer in school, I no longer find it necessary to have try to be "up to par" with everyone else in terms of clothes. I have more important things on my mind... So am I a designer fanatic? I guess the answer would be both yes and no. Many times it can be a big waste of money for something that isn't even necessarily higher quality - most what you're really paying for is the label to show off. I generally go by what looks good on me, and will buy designer items when it is not so out of my way (ie. Goodwill, gift certificates, etc.)
@kissieme (777)
hello amoyube... My sentiments exactly. I don't mind buying some designer clothes sometimes. but those are very rare and that is when I get to have 13th month pay hahaha... but whenever we go shopping, I might like some clothes so much but whenever I look at the price, I swallow hahaha and put those clothes back to the rack lol. I still find some great clothes, sturdy and have really good designs with lesser prices than the signature ones. I sometimes design my own shirt or dress and my mom sews them lol... ^_^
Im not a designer clothes fanatic either. I tend to buy things that appeal to my eye and that I think looks good on me. I will spend alittle more on thinks I want to last for a long time, like jackets but other than that, I have no problem shopping at target, walmart or other stores like that to get my clothes.
I don't mind wearing designer clothing at all. What I mind is that designer price tag. So I find that T J Max is my store. Marshall's as well. They keep us in designer clothing without breaking the bank.
@kquiming (2999)
yeah i exactly think like you do. so i can relate. and also i have the tendency to get bored with the accessories or clothes i have after only having them for a short while. so no designer clothes for me please!! and i'm not that rich!! LoL