HOw many dialects are there in the Philippines?

Somalia
hello there mga kapatid!! I was wondering if you could help me with this little bit of info. You could just indicate which town or province you"re from and tell us how many dialects you think there are spoken in your area. I am from sorsogon for instance. I know that when you travel a few kilometers south you'd be hearing a different dialect, a little further and you get another one. As far as I know we have about 3 or so versions of bicol sorsogon. HOw about yours?
@eichs1 (1934)
Here's a link about the dialects spoken in the Philippines and some explanation about the langauages: http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PH For me, I can speak fluently 5 dialects - Northern Benguet Kankanaey, La Union Kankanaey, Ilocano and Tagalog. I can also communicate fairly with Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a and Cebuano and can understand Akeanon and Tausog a little. How I wish I have learned Bicolano, Kapampangan and Pangasinense too so I can communicate to almost all of the people in the country.
@edujccz (929)
i suggest that you ask the dialects that they know and then you count, i wlll add one more, the itawis of Isabela , Cagayan valley. You are from Sorsogon and your dialect is Uragun nga ba? LOL
@edujccz (929)
Well I can speak Ilocano, tagalog and japanese, others I can understand a little bit, and what is the connotation of the word Uragun , will you tell us being foreign to your language. I've been once to your place Sorsogon, Sorsogon but just two days and barely enough to know your place. Happy posting LOL.
• Somalia
lol!! Something like someone being great in bed.. ya know what I mean ;-)
@edujccz (929)
Ah somewhere in Malibu Island, because I wonder a Bicolano friend is calling me that name and I don't understand what he means so I just thought it was just a friendly gesture. LOL but he is the one that is Uragun. LOL thanks
hello there! there are 8 dialects according to my previous teachers...
@eichs1 (1934)
The eight are the so called major dialects in the Philippines namely Ilocano, Pangasinense (Pangasinan), Kapampangan, Bicolano, Waray, Hiligaynon (others refer to it as Ilonggo) and Cebuano. But there are more than hundreds dialects in the country.
@aisaellis22 (6449)
Hello amoyube1980! Do you really smell like ube?hehhee..just kidding.. I am from Surigao del Sur and based on what I only knew, in our province we have 3 dialects too. We have Kamayo, Bisayan and Surigaonon.
@online_jon (1478)
Hi amoyube1980, good day to you my kababayan. . . Well regarding to your forum topic entitled " How many dialects are there in the Philippines?". as i know i guess there is so many dialects of Filipino people.
@gracypure (530)
Hello kabayan, According to WikiAnswers there 171 native tongues, others consider them dialects,but other say they are separate languages. I have to do research on my own, it might help for my kids in their school. God Bless.