has any one ever taking a train for transportation for a long trip?

has any one ever taking a train for transportaion for a long trip?if so how long did it take you to get to your destanation? are these things able to travel pretty fast? i know nothing about trains but i know i am very afraid of planes .and for a train is the security good ?
@zhuhuifen46 (3486)
Long distance trips are exhausting, especially during night you sleep on narrow decks, and suffering the noises of wheels on rack, and wakened whenever the train came to a stop at the stations. The compartment interior is filthy, especially when water is used up. And the food poor and expensive. Never on long distance train trips.
i guess i never thought of how the water thing works.how do you get the water from a train?is there a shower?i am glad i ask you all this question about train rides it is really helping me to think of things i have never thought of before.
You have never taken a train? On the train compartment, at one end, there usually is a separate portion designated for cleaning, where you have taps links to the water container, to be filled at big stations. There should be enought water available, but there are times water is used up. Boiled water is from a big boiler shared by several compartments. Moving carts come to sell bottled water from time to time. You can also get off at stations, to buy food on the platform during the day.
@arcidy (5016)
No not really the longest ive taken a train trip was for only 20 min. And that was from lowell massachsets to td bankworth garden for a wwe show. I dont get a chance to take a train since there really no trains where I live and I dont really need to take a train.
where do you live?i thought every where had trains.i am trying to think of a place that does not have train tracks .no i just cant amagine that. take care.
yea i am sure there is agreat numer of people that have never taking a train ride before .it just is not as popular as other means of travel.
@underdogtoo (9599)
I have taken a train but it was not a long trip, just an hour or so. It was nice and there was no traffic. Cheers!!
thanks that would be about how long my six year oild boys would last is maybe an hour .but i know they would love it. i however would not mind along trip like this . i really like th idea of being on ground and think of the things you might see along the way.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
I use to travel by train when I was working but only a few hours here and there....I would LIKE to travel a very long distance by train just to check it out and for the experience ya know..but it can be quite pricey...
really i was thinking train rides would be almost half of plane cost.but i guess it would take longer so the cost might get on up there .this does sound really fun i will check into it.
@greenline (14864)
I travel by train once in a while, but just short distances. I have been wanting to take the train ride from Bangkok, Thailand, to Singapore. That would be a fairly long travel, and everybody has been telling me that's a very pleasant and enjoyable ride. I hope to take that ride soon !
now that i think about it this would not be so bad . i wounder how long it would take to get to calif from south dakota?i probably would be sick of trains after that ride.
@suzzy3 (8357)
I t all depends if the guards are any good. How busy the trains are ,what time of day you are travelling ect.I have never done long train journey only up to London for a day trip with my daughter,only takes an hour.Find out from your travel company they will give you details.Take care .xx
yea suzzy that sounds good . but i would want to be safe. i think my boys would love to go on a train ride .just not on a long trip for them.
@uicbear (1903)
It's been a long time since I have taken the train on a long trip. I traveled from Chicago to Fort Worth, Texas about 17 years ago. It was not my first choice for transportation, but at the time, the train was considarble cheaper than flying. All in all, I thought the experience was ok. I don't sleep well sitting up, so that was a bit of a problem. It's nice not to have to worry about driving, and you are able to get up and walk around. There was a dining car in which I had breakfast (the trip was actually 24 hours, so I was ther for 3+ meals, but I ate in the snack car mostly.) They had movies playing in the snack car. There were a few stops, but they were at night mostly. If you are really afraid of flying, and you don't mind the extra time it's going to take to get to your destination, then traveling by train isn't too bad. I don't know how much of a price difference it would be verses flying, like I said my trip was a long time ago. I would say it would be worth a trip just to see if this is what you prefer over flying.
chicago to taxas in 24 hours .well i guess that really is not so bad if you are not the one driving.it almost sounds kind of neat just to have that diffrent experience .thanks for your input that sounds kind of like a speacial trip.