It really, really hurts and its only getting worse.

I have had lower back problems for 10 years, but more recently have developed a pinched nerve just below my neck and above my shoulder blades. It really, really hurts and its only getting worse. My entire back is in pain and so are my legs. Not to mention how stiff I am if I have had the opportunity to sit for a minute or two. Last night after I left work, it was bothering me so much I thought about going to the emergency room, but thought there probably isn't much they can do. Does anyone know what the recommended treatment is for something like that? Or what I can do from home to alleviate the pain that its causing me?
• Regina, Saskatchewan
I have this problem on and off all the time K. This website has helped me a lot, since I can't get to a physio when I need to............I hope it helps you too sweets. http://www.ehow.com/how_2039686_pinched-nerve-neck.html
Thanks, yes that website is helpful. I have some Ibuprofen which I will go and take now. Its driving me mad. Its so painful. It makes me feel like an old, old woman and I have had enough of that. LOL.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
I know the feeling well........ Oh, and don't be afraid to take twice your normal dosage of pain killers. It won't hurt you, but it may be the only way to really 'touch' the pain. I have to take six 500 mils of tylenol arthritis whenever I can't stand the pain anymore, and it hasn't hurt me yet.
I think the Ibuprofen I have is 800mg. I also have Vicodin, but I don't like taking them much.
@daneg33 (1131)
About 10 years ago I had a bulging disc in my back that cause pain to radiate down my legs. I was in pain standing, sitting, walking, laying down and no type of painkiller would touch that pain. The only thing that helped me was physiotherapy. I highly recommend seeing a physiotherapist that will work with you and specializes in backs. They will show you exercises to alleviate the pain and they will show you certain positions you can lay in that will help you to relax and be pain free.
Is the bulging disc that you refer to like a herniated disc, because thats what a chiropracter told me I was experiencing. He said it was in direct relation to my last pregnancy and yes it makes my legs ache like toothache. I want to beat myself against a wall sometimes it hurts so bad.
@daneg33 (1131)
Yes. Same thing. Get a referral from your doctor to physio. I swear, you will be a new woman. Took me about 10 treatments, but it was sooooooooo worth it. No problems since then.
@mummymo (23707)
Do it quickly though as if the disc bursts then you are leaving yourself open to permanent damage - the fluid inside acts like acid on the nerves it comes into contact with - don't mean to try and frighten you , just going by personal experience! xxx
@Aussies2007 (5339)
I cannot give you a cure... But I know it hurts as I do get those problems when doing some heavy work in the garden. My advice would be for you to try to detect what cause the problem. I think you said that you work in a shoe store. This would involve a lot of bending over and getting down on the floor. Everytime you get up from the floor... it puts pressure on your back. Be careful not to lift up heavy things... and if you do... don't keep your feet more than one foot apart while doing so. Prevention is better than the cure. If you can figure out what is causing it... you can then be cautious about not doing those particular movements. When my lower back hurt... I put a tight belt around it... and it helps a lot. It relieves the pain and helps me to keep working without hurting it any further. The belt helps keeping your back straight. Once you get better... there are also some exercises you can do to make your back stronger... so as to be less prone to those problems. The only cure I can think of... is rather expensive. That would be to go and see a chiropractor.
I agree working in the stock room doesn't help because I am constantly reaching for things and twisting and turning, but then again anything I do at this point seems to cause a reaction from my back. Just sitting at the computer makes it hurt. I know I will have to get a referral to someone. I just hope whatever the problem is will be manageable.
That's normal... When I hurt my back... I can hardly move for 3 days. And each time I move... it hurts like hell. The only cure is to rest and do nothing. When you sit... you need to sit straight. And when you get up... use your hand and arm to push you up from your chair. It does help a lot. Same when you get out of bed. The last time I had it... I could not stay in bed. It was hurting more lying down than sitting down.
@mummymo (23707)
Oh I am so sorry to hear this kat honey - you know I can empathise as I have so much problems with my back and legs. First off I would say that I would urge you most strenuously to see a doctor be it at their surgery or the ER. I tried to battle on with my back problems for a long time and I probably wouldn't be as bad now if I had went for help sooner. Meanwhile all I can suggest is rest, heatpads , hot shower especially on the area - or conversely some people find that cold helps - like freeze spray and ice packs! I do hope that it eases off soon and you heal totally very quickly! xxx
I wish I did have the time to just rest and put my feet up, but working I obviously don't. I might get a heating pad though. That sounds like a good idea. Its constant pain, not just intermittent and I can't take it much more. Especially after I have been at work and on my feet all day.
@mummymo (23707)
You really need to see a doctor and probably a physio honey - please promise you will, specially as it is constant! Hugs xxxx
I think you have to consult a doctor so you can be checked properly and your pain will be treated as well. It is hard to guess or just relate it with some other peoples condition because we don't know if your condition is different from them.
This is true, but it doesn't hurt to hear what other people have experienced.
I think that back pain is the worse pain in the whole wide world. I have always had back problems. I remember when I was in the girls home that they would refuse me a simple tylenol or anything. There for about two days they gave me Bengay and then said that I could not have anymore because it was for old people and they would not let me have it. So, i put toothpaste on my back. Pretty rough and did not really help that much. I have problems in my lower back and had two huge spots that looked as if something was under my skin that was not suppose to be. It honestly looked like I had been cut open and something put under my skin that stuck out. My lower back is always going numb though. And now my leg will go numb in one spot where my front pants pocket is and will get really really hot like it is burning. I went to the doctor at home that only costs $12 plus bloodwork and all that good stuf. The total visit was $15 and they sent me for a $ 3,000 MRI. I called and they said tha my whole back was eat up with arthritis. I am 25 years old. But that is what they said it was. I have not been back to the doctor. I have been to the ER one time since though and they put me on like 5 medicines for it but of course that ran out and have not been back. Now the top of my shoulder blade goes numb and the middle of my back. It drives me crazy.
Oh my gosh, you have it much worse than I do. Doesnt' it suck that health insurance stands in the way of us getting proper medical treatment? Don't you have insurance that would have paid that MRI? Or are you able to get something through wherever you live? Public assistance of some kind.
@moondancer (7434)
I have severe back problems so I know somewhat of what you are going through. If you go to the ER they can give you a shot for the pain. That's really all they can do. You need to go to the pain clinic for help. Do whatever you must to get to one. They have been my savior. Don't get me wrong I still hurt a good bit, but I can get out of bed and I couldn't before. I can walk now more than a couple of feet and I couldn't before. I was in excruciating pain. It almost tolerable now. I have 4 shots in my hip bones(joints) every month and I have pain pills and muscle relaxers to take. I may be in pain but I am mobile now and I wasn't before. I was in so much pain I couldn't do anything. I'm so much better now. You'll be so glad if you go to a pain clinic for help. They will do what they need to help you. If you have(which I'm sure you do) x-rays and other test results that you can take to them when you go that will help. Best of luck to you.
I was supposed to go and get x-rays before for my lower back, but never seemed to find the time. But now, this pinched nerve is making things so bad that I am definitely going to find the time.
@bdugas (3581)
My husband has athritis and a pinched nerve in his neck and shoulder, he goes to the orthopedic surgeon and he gives him a shot in his shoulder and it lasts about 6 months, depends on how often he does something to use it. YOU should maybe ask your doctor about it, I think it is a steriod shot. But he was really in pain and within 2 minutes after he gave it to him the pain stopped.
Right now, I'd give in to just about anything and I hate the doctor, but I think I'm ready to say "Uncle".
@mansha (6301)
My friend had back problem and she got treated at a keral Aurveda centre and it helped her a lot , may e you can try that, its just a genntle massage people have been treated with it quite effectively. check this site out http://www.karehealth.com/ They even provide online consultation.
u should do pranayam & yoga of swami ramdev baba from India . u ca visit to his site divyayoga & can fi nd solution of all ur problems
I'm going through the same thing the neck shoulder,in between the shoulders whole spin cant stand very long without my back knotting up hurts like hell my mom went through the same thing at my age she was diagnosed with pinched nerve in her back...cushions between her disks are drying up...spurs on her disk...polyarthragia derated disk and myfascal pain I just had xrays done on friday there checking me for the same thing :( life isnt to sweet right now carrying a load of laundary is a challenge for me
@winterose (39918)
I think they can give you physical therapy but you will probably have to pay, but you need to check it out you might have sciatica
@whyaskq (7532)
I am not too sure how true is it but I was told that light exercise can help. Just shrugging the shoulders while taking deep breaths helps to relax the shoulders. As for back pain, do some back strengthening exercise like bending forward. At times, alternating between hot and cold treatment helps to relieve the tension. However, some say rest and more rest will help. Personally, I feel it is better to seek a doctor's opinion. It could be some other problems manifesting instead of just a simple back ache.
@34momma (13895)
there are a few things that you can do. a nice hot shower and then bath may help out. but i know one thing that will really help, a nice work-out. some stretching will really help to get things moving along and lossing up on ya. but please please see a doctor first
@charblaize (1030)
You received much good information here, but I just wanted to put my two cents in. I have detiorating discs in my lower back and neck. I am only 34. Almost 6 years ago I had my son and 6 months later I was in a paralyzed state trying to get up for work. I couldn't do it, that is when I went in got the x-rays, MRI's and that is when they told me about my discs. I also had some problems with my sciatic nerve because my one leg would get numb. I hope, you went to the ER or see your physician. Just two weeks ago, I was like you, I could't move and laying on my bed with a pillow underneath helped but I couldn't handle the pain any longer and went to the ER. They gave me a shot to help relieve the pain, then 2 IV's. One with pain medication and the other a muscle relaxer. I go to physical therapy twice a week and that is to help my lower back to "stretch" it because I can only move so far each side. I wouldn't mess with your back, because that is the main center for your mobility and help whatever is causing you trouble so it don't get worse. Good Luck and best wishes.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I think that you've received all the useful information already Kat. You must get it checked out very soon as a painful back can be symptomatic of all sorts of things. From a little muscle pain to bulging discs etc. Promise me that you will do it. If you ignore it and it incapacitates you, then you will have more than a sore back to worry about! Am I being bossy? It's only cos I love you. XXXX
@lingli_78 (12844)
i'm so sorry to hear about your back problems that cause you so much problem... i think you have to go to a physiotherapist and let the doctor take a look at your back... it has to be treated as soon as possible before it gets worst... good luck... hopefully it will get better soon... take care and have a nice day...