I have found something WORSE than colorization of B&W movies ...

@Qaeyious (2362)
I was so excited when I found the copy of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera on DVD - The problem is with the fine print ... "Featuring the music of Switchblade Symphony" It looks like they decided to use some kind of goth rock group instead of a more historical approach for the musical background. Thank God I only paid $5 for this ... All is not lost though. I just saw it from beginning to end with the sound totally off. It is much better that way. I'll be looking around for a more appropriate "sound track," sort to speak ...
That is so much worse! When a colorization film came on , i would take the color out of my t.v. I guess wirth this film ,you watch it with the sound down.Why can't they leave movies alone? You never hear that they made yhe Mona Lisa a redhead!
@Qaeyious (2362)
Turning the sound off was easy, and that is what I did for a second showing. Historically though they played a record during the showing, so I will have to find if it is available somewhere. Gustave Dore's woodcut prints would be a better example of colorization madness ... I haven't seen any attempts at that yet. (and I hope I didn't give some computer art geek ideas ...) I also fear just turning off the color may be closer to the originals, but it will always be a little off. Turning something off is one thing. Changing a value in the original and then converting it back - there is always a loss due to rounding discrepancies.
I only saw one film like that. Then I realized that not only were they colorizing the films but editing them so they could play commericals . So I boycotted them altogether and watched the same films on TCM where they were uncut and commerical free.I have never seen a full silent film. The closet i dot was the original Jazz Singer but it was half silent and half talkie
Thanks for the best response.
• Mexico
i think black and white movies are good fited in that black and white theme.Its dont look too good in its colorize form.i experience with "mughal e azam".Its black and white movie is better.