Do you have stereotype parents?

Singapore
Are your parents rigid stereotype people? Well mine are. They associate smokers with bad people, clubbers or pub-bers as people who do drugs. Or those that visit these areas are those that just want one night stands. PLEASE~~~~~~~~ That might hold some truth in it, but it's not a definite case. Moreover, the irony of all this is that my dad smokes! And does he do drugs? NO. When he DOES go drinking with his friends. SO WHY is there a disparity in treatment? And he is the one who imposes all these "laws" upon me. It's unfair. Besides, i have already explained that the reason i might be visiting this pub once or twice is for the sake of my report. My report deals with pub goers and their lifestyle. I have already EXPLAINED. And he just doesn't want to listen to my explanation at all. But jumps into conclusion and starts his little lecture about people going to such night spots. Do you have parents like these? Or are you, as a parent, like this?
Maybe your father is afraid of what will happen to you. I am amazed at some of the things my husband thinks about our daughter. Dads come from a place of really loving you but not knowing how to shelter you from the bad things in the world. They also know what they did in their life that was not so good. Now they are looking at that precious little girl that they love so much possibly being hurt and not knowing how to prevent that. My parents were definitely not the typical parents out there. That would have been nice! They were really off the mark in many things and trying to have an open discussion with them was for the birds. They did, however, love me and the older I get the more I see the many ways they did that.
i understand where he is coming from.. and it's exactly as what you have mapped out. but i am already telling him my plans to him. I can always just go ahead with my life just like my peers. I'm already an adult. But i respect him because he is my dad and i know that whatever he does is out of love for me. BUT STILL! It just pisses me off that he doesn't listen to my explanation but just jumps into conclusion.
Don't blame you for the frustration. I have yet to figure out the whole thing. You are trying to be up front and honest and he is stuck in a groove.
@oyenkai (4398)
I used to think that my parents were stereotypes. That they're the type who would never listen, the type who would never give in. But you know what? People change. My parents did! It all started when my sister and I started doing things on our won then my father stopped telling us what to do - he still does often but he's less demanding about it and our mom is much much more supportive now that she feels like we really should be going out and having fun. I think it's because we've proven ourselves trustworthy :) we studied hard, we didn't do anything stupid when we lived away from home and we stay at home if we could hehe Thanks for the response on my discussion!
i know. but it gets really tiring trying to prove one's worth. God knows i've been being as ideal as possible all my life. and it seems not enough.