Psychology shock

@freedomg (1684)
O.k. many of you know that the reason I pop in and out of here is because I am taking online classes and only have time to post between sessions. So here it is break time and I have to tell you that I am still in shock from some of the stuff I learned in psychology class. The biggest shock is from Sigmund Freud and his theory of psychosexual development. Has any one here read about this? If you haven't you really should check it out, it will blow your mind. I am sorry but the man seamed to base nearly every bit of a humans motivation on the quest for physical pleasure. The more I read about this guy the more I was convinced that he needed to be on the couch getting help instead of offering the help. Now I know that I am going to catch a lot of flack for this one but dude come on his theory on Oedipus and Elextra complexes (this is where we are supposed to be lusting after our parents) is enough to make me wonder what pill he skipped. O.k. so I didn't just post this to rant I seriously would like to ask my fellow mylotters to read this dudes theories and share with me their opinions. I will not judge if you opinion is different than mine, in fact it would be refreshing to hear how this stuff is viewed by some one else. So check it out and let me know what you think. As always please play nice.
@bjcyrix (6910)
Hehehe I have read about it and we have discussed it in our Psychology class in my freshman year. His ideas are really something and it is a bit more on the relationship of the mind and the person's sexuality or something like that. Im not that shocked by it since Ive already heard of Sigmund Freud when I was a kid. Though I did not know that his ideas would go up to such extent I also have an open mind about anything so..^_^ Anyway, about the complexes that you've mentioned, its kinda like the saying that people marry those who have a resemblance to their fathers/mothers. That's one of the correlations that Ive seen when it comes to this issue. Sigmund Freud also has ideas about love and relationships. Bottom line, he has a lot of ideas, and some of them might seem far fetched, but to some..it makes sense somehow.
@freedomg (1684)
Thank you for the insight, I am going to give his work a more detailed look through as I would hate to walk around thinking the man was a total perv if he wasn't. We only took a 5 1/2 week class and that may be why we didn't get a better chance to look at him.
@bjcyrix (6910)
Well, we might never know if he was a perv or not At least great theories came out of it.
@freedomg (1684)
Very true my friend.
@baileycows (3669)
Are you majoring in psychology. I am fixing to start my masters in psychology. I have a week left till I graduate with my bachelors. But yes your right while psychology still sees Freud as an icon to me his beliefs were that of a young unmature child he just did not make alot of sense. I dont see how he is often called the father of psychology none of his crap makes sense. Good luck in school.
@freedomg (1684)
I am working on my associates in medical billing and coding but I had to take 5 1/2 weeks of psychology for it.I totally agree that he does sound like a kid... I had never thought about it like that I had always thought he sounded like a child molester. Good luck in your classes. P.S. If they ask you to define intelligence it's a trick question there are several different theories on the definition but none have been declared the single best one.