How many people have considered buying solar panels?

@CJscott (4184)
I was chatting on another discussion about Air Conditioners and I remembered an article I read a while back about solar powered Air Conditioners, which are popular in Australia. Anyways I was just wondering who has, or has considered installing solar panels on there roofs and in there homes to help reduce their electricity costs? And what you guys think are the pros and cons of such systems?
• Regina, Saskatchewan
If we were going to stay in this house, we had the plans drawn up to build a 'four season' conservatory off the back of the house. The roof was going to be all solar panels, and the hubs figured we'd garner enough energy to be able to do away with our hydro bill completely and probably our furnace. I'm a firm believer in solar energy. Do you know that in 30 minutes the sun 'spreads' enough energy across the earth to provide power to a city the size of New York (all it's energy needs) for 30 days? Amazing what we could do to improve our planet if we went solar.........
@CJscott (4184)
That is what I am saying, I should be working not on MyLot right now, oh well. I am going solar as soon as it is feasible for me. And if I am lucky enough to get a nice plot just outside of a town, Manitoba may have a few more of those lovely windmills dominating the country side.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
There's lots of windmills in Saskat too, and we've certainly got the wind for them!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks for BR bud...........and may your winds always blow in the right direction and the sunshine warmly.
@rsa101 (13343)
I had also a dream of becoming a green man myself but so far the green technology is not really affordable right now in my place. Solar panels are hard to come by and if you find one it really cost a lot to afford. I am also interested in Solar Airconditioner since my place has lots of sunlight as well and it would cut a lot of electricity bills alongside.
@CJscott (4184)
It doesn't seem to be overly affordable anywhere. To get a good system installed here in Canada for me currently it is about 3 months wages before taxes. But I don't get paid so well, around 6500$ or so. And they say it will pay for itself in about 6 or 7 years depending on the amount of daylight hours they get. I think the government here will also give you a tax break if you add this kind of improvement to your home. I think it will be well worth it, after I get some of my other debt paid down to the point I feel comfortable borrowing the money for it.
@rsa101 (13343)
It is good that your government is doing something to encourage you to invest in it by giving you tax incentives or somthing to that effect. In my place there is not such thing yet and I think only the rich can afford to avail of such green technology and is not yet affordable to us common people.
I have heard about solar heaters .It has become very common in so many places in Indaia.But i've never heard about solar panels for air conditioners.It is a wonderfully good project.I wish we could know more about it and have it executed ,thereby saving up current and making use of the solar energy.It woulb be a superb way of conserving energy and helping our country in a pretty way .
@CJscott (4184)
Solar panels to generate electricity. I am not very familiar with Indian architecture, but the concept here is put a few panels on your roof, hooked to batteries, or some other medium, then into your fuse panel or something like that so that you use the electricity you generate, before the electricity that is sent in from the power company. You should maybe research it in your area? If you get enough sun exposure on your roof, or somewhere in your yard it could be well worth the investment.
@ag_sekar (112)
I always wanted to buy solar panels. But right it is a bit costly in India. There are not much awareness about solar panels here except in big industries are in some residential areas where they are primarily used for heating water.Except the initial cost I do not see any other cons in installing solar panel
@CJscott (4184)
It is fairly costly here in Canada as well, and we don't get near as much sun, I am told they pay for themselves in saved energy cost in about 7 years though, and that is here in Canada, I imagine it may be faster where there is more sun.