America's Desultory Religious Reporting

Of all the reporting on radical Islam in the United States, some of the least competent comes from precisely those reporters who should do the most outstanding job – those specializing in religion. I don't recall a single one of them producing a serious analysis of the Islamist groups that dominate Muslim communal life – the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the Muslim Public Affairs Council, the Islamic Society of North America, the Muslim American Society, and the like. Instead, they invariably write puff-pieces. Geneive Abdo. Some examples, culled over the years (with the caveat that some of these reporters no longer cover religion): * Geneive Abdo of the Chicago Tribune, who spoke at the 2003 annual conference of the Muslim Public Affairs Council. * David Crumm of the Detroit Free Press glorified an Islamist religious leader "Dearborn's Imam Qazwini: A champion for Islam's future." * Felix Hoover of the Columbus Dispatch, who was provided with meticulous, detailed information about problems at an Islamist school, the Sunrise Academy, only to ignore it. * Robert King of the Indianapolis Star, who covered the Islamic Society of North America convention as though it were the Elks or Masons. * Shirley Ragsdale of the Des Moines Register wrote a near hagiography of Ibrahim Dremali, still remembered for having exhorted a crowd in Florida, "not to be sad for the martyrs, or be afraid to die for what they believed in." * Bill Tammeus of the Kansas City Star wrote the memorably bad "Women of cover," a glorification of the hijab. * Teresa Watanabe of the Los Angeles Times, who celebrated an Islamist intellectual, Khaled Abou El Fadl as a "longtime champion of human rights" and for his "unflinching scholarship." * Rachel Zoll of the Associated Press, who naively accepted that a supposed anti-terror petition supported by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, "Not in the Name of Islam" is what it purports to be. But – no surprise - my nominee for worst religion reporter goes to someone I have been watching since 2004: Lorraine Ali of Newsweek, who seems not to "feel home" in the United States, who shills for Hussein Ibish, who cannot get basic facts right about Campus Watch, and much else. Comment: (1) Is this incompetence a result of the mainstream media being so liberal that it cannot understand religion in general and radical Islam in particular? Probably. (2) As the MSM loudly laments its own demise, we conservatives see this as a mixed development, one that offers a chance for real improvement – and nowhere more than in the realm of reporting on religion. (March 29, 2009) http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2009/03/americas-desultory-religious-reporting.html
@Destiny007 (5820)
There is a lot more to it than not understanding Islam. It has to do with the left having a lot in common with not only these groups, but also people like Che Gevuerra(sp) Castro, and others who caused the deaths of literally millions of people who opposed them. I will try to find the relevant link, but I am having to rebuild my files after a computer failure from a couple of months ago and it is taking a while.
This isn't the link I wanted, but it does give an idea as to the mindset of the left, and why they support and admire so many brutal dictators. http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=90831
They also have a lot in common with a certain national socialist party that took over Germany in the 40s...
Oh yeah, and we know how well that turned out. I seem to recall a rather lengthy and contentious discussion about that party a few weeks ago with a rather witless individual who seemed to think that Hitler was not a socialist. It is amazing what people learn in school these days.
There are precious few places not afraid to show the ugly truth about islamofascism. www.thereligionofpeace.com is one of them.
The numbers are growing every day though. When I first started learning there were only about 3, now there are hundreds. I even saw a blog from someone in Iran, who will probably be arrested soon. I'll try to get back to you with the link.
I mean as far as online goes. But what we need is more main stream media newspapers and news stations investigating and reporting the truth.
The reporters in question are probably just trying to give a balanced portrait of the topic. It is a difficult topic to cover and they are probably just trying to give a balanced portrait of what is happening. I think there are some people who want to always give all muslims a bad name, and some who are more balanced in their reporting style.
If it is completely one-sided, there is no "balance" at all. They know the truth and are afraid to report on it for fear of reprisal.
It's their JOB do do investigative reporting. Not to try to influence us with their views.