Special Election in New York Today

@anniepa (27238)
"Voters in a House district in New York will elect a replacement on Tuesday for Kirsten E. Gillibrand, the Democrat who replaced Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Senate after Mrs. Clinton became secretary of state." http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/us/politics/31web-nagourney.html?hpw Democrat Scott Murphy and Republican James N. Tedisco will vie for the Congressional seat representing a heavily Republican district, one that voted for Bush in 2004 but DID go for Obama in 2008. Many feel this election will be a big indication on how things are really going for the GOP as well as being a referendum on the Obama Administration and the Democratic majority in Congress. What do you think? How much significance do you think the results of this special election will have? I'd like to hear from everyone but if there's anyone here from New York, particularly that district, I'd LOVE to hear from you! Annie
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I have to confess my ignorance annie, why could senator Gillibrand complete her term? I wasn't even aware untill now there was an election. I don't think i'd apply the hype over this being a barometer of Obama's performance rating though, it's just too small a sampling of people. From what I saw in the polls, it seems to be a neck and neck race. What a shame. They had a chance to get another party candidate or independant in early and they blew it. People will just never learn.
@Taskr36 (13925)
Gillibrand was appointed to replace Hillary Clinton in the senate, thus vacating her congressional seat. Now they are holding an election to replace her. This, of course, is far better than appointing a replacement. "They had a chance to get another party candidate or independant in early and they blew it. People will just never learn." No, they won't. Still, I'd have to see what independent options there were before I judge them.
@anniepa (27238)
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, there were only two candidates, a Democrat and a Republican. If there were any others from other parties or any independents they weren't mentioned on any of the news reports or in any of the articles I read. There probably wasn't enough time for anyone else to organize a campaign. Annie
@Taskr36 (13925)
You're probably right Annie, but even if there were other candidates, the media would ignore them. The only time a third party candidate gets recognition in these races is when it's a celebrity like Jesse Ventura.
@Taskr36 (13925)
Well I just checked and it's too close to call with Murphy only having a 65 vote lead with up to 10,000 absentee ballots that may not be counted until April 13th. http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20090331/NEWS01/903310323/1006/news01 Runoff elections are really no indicator of trends in my opinion. Voter turnout is typically low. Either way, we'll have to wait till 2010 to get a real indicator of how voters are leaning.
@us2owls (1681)
Well we all know which way it will go if those absentee ballots are ACORN registered voters.
@anniepa (27238)
Thanks for the info. I just saw moments ago about it coming down to the absentee ballots but I hadn't seen the date or the number of ballots. I agree, these elections really don't show trends but the media sure does like to make us think they do, don't they? I'm sure both sides are ready with their own spin on it. Annie
@jonesy123 (3950)
I didn't even know this. It'll be interesting to see the outcome. IMO it's not only an indicator how the GOP is fairing but also the Democrats. They managed to vote in Clinton and voted for Obama. I'm not sure they really are such a heavy Republican district anymore.
@anniepa (27238)
I tried to see if there were any results yet but according to the MSNBC website it's still too close to call with Murphy leading by 65 votes out of 154,000 cast. Let's put it this way - it's not going to be a landslide by anyone. Annie
@jonesy123 (3950)
Thanks for the update. Looks like it's a district that could go either way. I wonder what voter turnout was. People are probably experiencing voting fatigue and are not that interested in the candidates. Just a guess. I know, I'd not want to vote in yet another election. Anyhow, if it's close it looks like neither party really gained approval and there is really not much to read out of that. If a third party would be smart enough, now, with so many people being fed up with both of the two main choices, it would be time to step up to the plate and gain some momentum;) [I'm one of the fed up ones;)]
@jjstream (313)
It looks like the Democrats will keep the seat due to the Obama factor.
@anniepa (27238)
Well, that's the way it will be spun if it works out that way. If the Republican wins, they'll spin it that Obama's popularity is slipping. In actuality I think it's a district that's pretty evenly split and has been trending a bit left recently. Not to the extreme left since the Rep. they're replacing is a "conservative Democrat", but slightly to the left just the same. Annie
I am on the edge of the 19th district, if I lived just a half mile or so up the road, I'd be in the 20th where this election was held. The race is too close to call, as I see you already know. The local paper says it will be 2 weeks or so before the outcome is determined while they wait for absentee and military ballots to come in and be counted. Even though I am not in that district, I am right on the border of it, and all over my street and neighboring streets there are Tedisco and Murphy signs (usually right next door to eachother). Here is the link to the local paper here, if you are interested in following the story or want to know what else is going on where I live: www.poughkeepsiejournal.com
@anniepa (27238)
Thanks for the link, Hon. Gee, whatever happened to the days when we knew who had son an election that same night, or at least by the wee hours of the morning? And THAT was even when there were paper ballots and they were counted by hand. Annie
@ZephyrSun (7385)
It will be interesting to see the results. But, you know how the conservatives keep trying to blame the current economic state on Obama so maybe that area bought into that nonsense.
@anniepa (27238)
I know, isn't that hilarious? At least that district went for Obama in November so that might be good news. I think turnout will be the key, as is often the case. Annie