How can I stretch ground turkey =I am a cheapskate

@suspenseful (40316)
I decided to put this in the food section rather then the frugal or the diabetic section since it might appeal to a lot more here. I picked up some ground turkey, recommended for people trying to lose weight or to diabetics (now I know why a lot of people here are overweight, the cheap things are bad for you and we have a short growing season.) I put it into half pound packages as there is just my husband and I and he does not have diabetes. And he figured that I should not have gotten it. That extra lean ground round is good enough. Now when i had some ground pork left over after a Christmas dinner I had, I mixed that up with the lean ground round and made spaghetti and meatballs. But I want the ground turkey to be separate, not mixed with the lean round. I have already used it with spaghetti. So are there any other suggestions? We love Italian and Chinese as well as the regular type of meals.
@dragon54u (31617)
If you have Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) at your store, that will stretch it nicely and it's very good for you. It tastes just like the meat if you cook them together! You can also make a turkey meatloaf using turkey, oatmeal, an egg or egg white, spices, diced bell peppers, onions and ketchup or tomato sauce.
@suspenseful (40316)
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a 'hamburger' version and I liked it. The trouble is that the vegetable protein or fake meat is a bit more expensive and we buy extra lean ground round that is more expensive then even the lean. I will have to see if the 'fake' meat (as we call it) is on sale. I love meatloaf and this sounds good. By the way, will it look like regular meatloaf or will it be lighter in color?
@dragon54u (31617)
It will be a bit lighter in color than hamburger but if you add some beef bullion it will taste and look more like beef. I love meatloaf, too, but I'm trying to cut way down on red meat and the turkey meatloaf is very good with beef bullion in it. I get my beef bullion at the dollar store. If you have one there it's a great place to get things like that. Bullion is expensive here, about $2.50 a jar so when I can get it for a dollar it saves me a lot!
@suspenseful (40316)
I was wondering if maybe adding soya sauce would do just as well. I know that I add it to beef stew when it is a bit too light.
@webeishere (36353)
I have no idea other than to use as it as you would ground beef. I've never tried turkey ground before. Venison is the only other ground meat I've eaten. That I used just like ground beef in recipes. Good luck. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@suspenseful (40316)
I would suppose using turkey ground in lasagna would be a bit expensive since usually I put in a pound or two of ground beef.
Around here it is much cheaper than even cheap beef.
@suspenseful (40316)
Not in Winnipeg. Here it is more expensive.
I have made chili with it and it turned out great. I used the normal recipe but instead of the ground beef I used the ground chili. Yum!
@suspenseful (40316)
That sounds like a good idea. The trouble is my husband does not like home made chili. I wish he did, because I do not like the kind they sell at Superstore and Tim Horton's will not reveal its secret recipe.
I'm thinking you could make a meatball stew. Instead of using beef, use the turkey meatballs. Maybe you could use the turkey meatballs in a pot of beans...Great Northerns. I don't know if you're a bean eater...just an idea. Then there's good ole meatball pot pie. (I've never heard of it either...just my creative mind at work.) Have fun using your ground turkey!
@suspenseful (40316)
I could try the meatball stew. I am more like the chili and the baked beans with ham or hot dogs, but the stew sounds interesting. Thanks.
You can make meatloaf by adding bread crumbs that come in the can or grating/chopping old bread and adding that. You can add left over vegetables from the weeks dinners and lunches...and an egg...some leftover tomato sauce or ketchup packs. If you ever get take out, always ask for the ketchup and or salsa packs. You can put that in and on the meatloaf. When you have rice for a meal and you have leftovers, freeze it. That goes great in meatloaf. You can use the same mix of meatloaf to make swiss steak. Just shape an oblong patty and put leftover stewed tomatoes on top...and bake that. You can also make a meat sauce for spaghetti with it and saute lots of vegetable with it...like tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, celery,etc.
@koalatbs (2230)
Yes... I've made meatloaf with ground turkey many times before too... it turns out really good! Also, it doesn't get greasy like it does with regular ground beef meat.
@suspenseful (40316)
I used to make meat loaf and saved the bread crumbs (no one loved the crust) and I used extra lean ground round. I did not know about adding left over vegetables (except of course, onions, green and red peppers, carrots and celery.) That making it into a Swiss Steak sounds pretty good. Thanks.
Thank you for best response.
@Lakota12 (42684)
well I havent tried ground turkey . BUt have thought about it. Just dont know if it would be real dry like turkey breat is when baked. its all juicey when I smoke it and none gets left over!
@Lakota12 (42684)
I wouldnt want it mixed I dont like dark meat!
I have clients that use ground turkey for everything that normally would be made of beef. At our Wal Mart it is cheaper than any kind of beef. It makes good chili, for instance. With some seasoning you cannot detect the difference.
@lilybug (21148)
At the Walmart by me they have these rolls of ground turkey that are seasoned already. The brand is Pride of the Farm. They have taco and Italian. They are only $1 for a 1 pound roll of it. I have tried both and I really like them both.
@suspenseful (40316)
I wish they had that here in Canada. Where I am the beef is cheaper and the ground turkey is more expensive.
@lilybug (21148)
I use ground turkey a lot more often than I use ground beef. I use it in taco meat, in spaghetti, turkey burger, turkey meatloaf, meatballs, casseroles, you name it and I have subbed turkey for beef. If you season it right then you can't really tell much of a difference.
@suspenseful (40316)
I would love to use it more often, but it is more expensive up here, and so I do not use it that much.
@koalatbs (2230)
Hi suspenseful - I have used ground turkey before to make a "hamburger helper"-type dish. We use the tri-colored spiral noodles plus a canned veggie but you can use just about whatever floats your boat and it is really easy. If it is just to be enough for you and your husband, you can use oen of your half pound packages of ground turkey (cook it first), then add about a cup or so of whichever pasta you chose, 1 can of mixed veggies (liquid included), 1 can of diced tomatos, and about a tablespoon or 2 of dry mild chili seasoning (or season to taste). Then add enough water to cover the pasta. Bring it to a boil then set to low heat, cover & let cook for about 20 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed (not completely dry as you want it a little juicy). We sprinkle our favorite shredded cheese on top... then ENJOY! I actually just made this for my family on Monday night. If you try it, let me know how it turns out! Take care, Jill
@suspenseful (40316)
That sounds something like our macaroni casserole, only we used spaghetti sauce and hot sauce. I will see how that works. Thanks.