Would you prefer to pay for only the channels that you use?

@bayernfan (1430)
All television service providers in Canada, whether cable or satellite, require the purchase of a package of channels. Some of these providers do allow for purchase of additional channels individually. I don't watch most of the channels that are offered in the basic packages. So I am forced to pay for channels I don't want or use. I wouldn't mind being required to pay for an initial package, in order to be allowed to subscribe to a service, if I was allowed to assemble the package myself. What do you think? Maybe you would rather order only a few channels? What is most advantageous to you? So many channels with nothing on. Who has the time for all of them anyway. Perhaps I shouldn't bother anymore and just get my television content from the internet...
@mysdianait (64058)
That is the way Italy is going too I shall do as you suggest when it happens - no television. Just one channel would suit me fine not a whole lot of others all showing the same rubbish - and commercials! - all the time. I basically only use it for information and it's on in the background during the evening but when I have to pay for what they say I should have, well then I won't have anything at all.
@bayernfan (1430)
In Canada, there isn't enough competition between television service providers to apply pressure for better service/options. Most areas have only one maybe two options. Usually it boils down to a cable company or a satellite company. Both offer similar packaging and similar prices. I am to the point where, if I was forced to make a choice, the only service I would keep would be high-speed internet. I'm probably not that far from dropping television altogether though. Prices have gone up and options have decreased since the recession began.
@mysdianait (64058)
Here there is too much competition but in the end they all show the same things, just a bit later It must be difficult for the older people too because I doubt they use internet and they rely on television. It's not fair that they have to spend so much to be able to receive something which in some cases is like a lifeline to the rest of the world.
@zweeb82 (5716)
I'll throw in something exciting here: did you know the place where I come from ( Malaysia ), there are about 6 free channels but the Southern most part which is the state of Johor, might have an additional one? Well, although from my area ( Northern region of Malaysia ) I can sometimes receive transmissions from Thailand, maybe because I'm also staying at the 9th floor of an apartment & the area we stay is quite high up? So that gives me additional 2 channels? It can be quite clear but also blur at times depending on the weather? Ok, lets come back to the Southern part - Johor. The country south of us is Singapore. So if you go to Johor which is the southern most part of East Malaysia ( also known as Peninsular Malaysia ), you'll see they have TV aerials that are so high up!~ That's so that they can capture the signals, haha!~ So that's how they get an extra channel. Even the northern most part of Johor which is quite far away from Singapore have those super tall & high aerials just to capture one free channel, haha!~
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i just recently changed from cable to a dish & i am very pleased w/it right now. i'm very, very pleased w/the deal they offered me through my phone co. for the rest of the year. i was so sick of the cable co. here i'm real glkad to have no more dealing w/them .
@bayernfan (1430)
Yeah, this seems like a popular option that more and more people in my neighbourhood appear to be choosing. The satellite adoption rate is about one in every three homes where I am. I am sure that part of this occurrence is due to telco packages being offered. I don't like the satellite service offered by the large national telephone company in my area. They offer fewer channels (about 200 available versus 600 from the cable company) and there prices are worse than the cable company's. A smaller, local independent Satellite Television Service provider has come to my attention recently. I am going to do some research and check them out soon. Cheers.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i have come to the conclusion u can't win for losing w/no matter who it is, lol.
@zweeb82 (5716)
I think that's a very good idea!~ Like I mentioned earlier, we have like around 6 free channels so we don't subscribe anything else although Astro is a popular company with satellite TV where you can subscribe to. I think nearly every house has it? We only have the satellite dish as the previous owner of this apartment unit installed & subscribed to Astro. Well, today although the dish is still there & not taken out, it is still being put into good use - we use it as a hangar to hang our clothes, haha!~Like what you mentioned in your place, I think Astro is the only satellite TV available here so they get the monopoly of things especially on the pricing. So it's the same people have to pay for a basic package & if they wanted to have additional ones, they will just have to pay extra. For my wife & I, we already have 6 free channels so we can watch news on either one in different languages at different times or some even at the same time - Malay, English, Chinese & TamilSo I guess there's no extra need for any subscription? If we want to watch a movie, we can always just go get a DVD or borrow one from our friends or relatives since DVDs are so cheap here? Ahem...piXrated ones I meanHaha!~
@bayernfan (1430)
Finding a dual use transforming an inert or inoperable piece of equipment into something else is the sign of a very resourceful person. Turning your dormant satellite dish into a hanger/clothesline is very clever. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more successful television service providers from some countries own TSPs in other nations. Although, once one business finds an effective way to monetize television services, it becomes very easy for others to imitate. It's easy to get cheap bootlegged copies of films on DVD here too. The resourceful can find those same movies even cheaper online with a fast enough connection if the are so inclined.
@zweeb82 (5716)
Do you know if I use 1USD=RM3.6 for for conversion purpose as the rate fluctuates, it means a copy is only USD0.70 with clear sound & picture quality? Haha!~Yeah, our major monopoly Astro is also found in neighbouring countries like Indonesia & Philippines if I'm not mistaken. Well, as for the clothes hangar, I can't take credit for that as it was my wife's idea, haha!~She's indeed a smart cookie
@tea512 (687)
I would love to pay for the channels i use which i feel most are free anyway. My cable bill with phone dvr and internet is over $170 a month. I would like to pay for the time i watch no just channels, when we rent a couple of movie at the video store we do not even watch the cable channels.
@bayernfan (1430)
Your cable+phone+internet package is $170 per month and you think that you are receiving something for free??? I understand why you would like to pay for only the time that you use the television because your monthly bill is quite high. That might not prove to be such a great option for those who use the television a lot. Soon there television service bill could be as high as some people's long distance phone bills. I don't mind subscribing to channels that I use knowing full well that I don't watch television 24/7 and that I can't watch everything simultaneously.
@Catfreeek (346)
"So many channels with nothing on" Oh that is so true. I don't feel it would change the price much but if it would then I'd be all for it.
@bayernfan (1430)
Where I am located, you are forced to pay a minimum $30 per month to subscribe to a television service. Each individual channel is $2.69 at their most expensive (if you only add one) and $0.90 at their least expensive (if you add 30+) for cable. I only use six or seven of the twenty odd channels in the basic package. Some of those I don't use much and could probably replace altogether if given another option. As I said before, I wouldn't mind spending the $30 if I could choose the channels that I wanted.
@ratyz5 (7829)
Here in the Philippines too, some cable service providers would often offer package deals on channels you can watch but, it woudl indeed be nice if we would only pay for the channels that we only watch. I have nephews who were the reason why their mother got the television cabled and they only watch cartoon most of the time. They dominantly watch cartoons and others would only get to watch other shows when they are not watching or the tykes are fast asleep. Kind'a odd but, it would be practical if we'd only pay for the channels that we dominantly watch, right? I think there is really something like that.. I recall Dream Satellite but, it depends if its available at certain areas..